Looking for Ideas - Alaska's Inside Passage

TS Von

In 2019 we did an "uncruise" using the AK Marine Ferry to tour some of the villages/ports featured on many of the cruise lines.  I have shared my detailed blog of our 3 weeks with many people on several social media platforms.  I'm sharing it here too, in hopes that it will help people pick the best cruises for their personal interests . . . and to give some ideas of the wonderful places to see and experience.  https://alaskasinsidepassage.blogspot.com/

P.S.  There are a lot of photos too!

• Like 1

When we did our 3 month AK driving trip we used the Marine Highway extensively.  It is really the best way to see AK.  First of all you get to share time with real Alaskans.  Secondly you get to stop at small towns that the people who go by the big ships don't stop at.  Thirdly you get to stay in some really neat places. Finally and most important to you sometimes because of ferry schedules you are forced to stay at a place for a couple of days until the next ferry comes.  This means that you get to see the town after the hoards of thousands of cruise trippers are gone.

Funny story here.  We were in I think Juneau on a Sunday and the town was overrun with people.  We figured that we would relax until the ships left and we would enjoy our shopping on a relaxed manner.  What we didn't know is that because it was a Sunday the 2nd the ships left all the shops closed and the shop owners went home.  Who knew.  However because we had our car our attitude was who cares as there was always Monday.

DON

• Like 2

Agreed Don!  I loved Juneau (and Sitka and Skagway) without people!  Hoohah was a delight as well, especially when we had the village to ourselves early in the morning before the ships arrived at ISP!

We also LOVED getting to meet and chat with Alaskans as they went out about their lives.  They were very nice and engaging, interested in sharing their culture and lifestyle.

I've spent A LOT of time in Alaska (over 125 days over the past 15 years in all seasons . . . and the 3 weeks on the AK Marine Ferry will always be a highlight among MANY highlights.