Riviera pre-refurbishment compared to RSSC Mariner?

Vallesan

Sorry for such a long title!

We sailed on the Riviera on its penultimate cruise before refurbishment. Aesthetically the ship looked fine. If there were any problems it was that stocks of some drinks ran out obviously because they were running stocks down to go into dry dock.

We are now thinking about a reduced price Mariner cruise.

So, I should confess that we sailed on the Navigator in 2019, our first RSSC, and cancelled our upcoming trip to Asia that same year whilst onboard. As Oceania fans, with Seabourn and Silversea thrown in, we weren’t impressed with RSSC.

So you might ask why are we even thinking about another RSSC cruise. Straight out, down to price and value!

I’ve read so many negative reports about the Mariner I’m not sure if, even at a reduced price, it’s worth considering?

Just wondering for those who have sailed on both ships will an ‘old unrefurbished' Mariner be a disappointment?

Sailed Riviera pre- (12/2021) and post- (10-11/2023) refurbishment. Wife and I preferred the older decor. Not a fan of Scandinavian minimalism. But whether you'll say the same as to Riviera or Mariner is entirely in your mind's eye, since such things are subjective.

• Like 1

We were on Regent Mariner August 2022 to Alaska, and O Marina to Italy and Greece October 2023. I prefer the Marina because it was larger. More choices of restaurants. Probably would never book the 4 O smaller ships. Regent Mariner was lovely, dressier attire (not really our favorite), fewer choices of dining, same mediocre entertainment. Looking forward to our next O Marina cruise after the refurbishment.

In terms of condition of the ship, unrefurbished Riviera was in much better shape than Mariner.  Riviera is 10 plus years newer, so that makes a difference also. Level of service on Mariner will be great, somewhat better than Oceania, cabins are fine...just old. We last cruised Mariner in late 2022 and noticed hallway walls scuffed, carpet worn in some places...never saw wear and tear to that degree on Oceania. I am sure you will have a good cruise on Mariner.. but depends on how much the wear and tear bothers you.

1 hour ago, Vallesan said:

I’ve read so many negative reports about the Mariner I’m not sure if, even at a reduced price, it’s worth considering?

Just wondering for those who have sailed on both ships will an ‘old unrefurbished' Mariner be a disappointment?

When is the cruise you are considering?  The Mariner is scheduled for the NeXt refurbishment in April/May of this year. 

45 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

When is the cruise you are considering?  The Mariner is scheduled for the NeXt refurbishment in April/May of this year. 

September 2024. But I’ve seen late 2025 for refurbishment!

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

Are we comparing Regent Mariner or Oceania Marina?

OP is asking about Rssc Mariner..no refurb sadly til 2025.

Edited by edgee

3 minutes ago, edgee said:

OP is asking about Rssc Mariner..no refurb sadly til 2025.

That is what I thought, although I think a couple of others were referring to O Marina'a date.

33 minutes ago, Vallesan said:

September 2024. But I’ve seen late 2025 for refurbishment!

Oops, my misreading the ship name.  So forget my question.