Smith family wants CEO fired

Cruise News Daily has an article the Smith family wants the President of Carnival has Carnival fired for comments he made at the Sea Trade held in Miami last week. Bob Dickerson made a comment that they did not like. so they want an apology and have him fired.

It was funny because when you start reading the article you think that it is about Royal Caribbeans CEO Richard Fain but it is not. The story on George Smith is no longer news so they have to come up with something. There is something definately wrong with that family. They did not understand what Bob Dickerson said at the conference so they are coming up with their lies again.

It is a good article but you have to be a subscriber to read the whole thing. Maybe someone who has it and is better at computers can post it for everyone to read. There is a little article on cruisenewsdaily.com everyone can read.

The full article appears in the Boston Herald and a bunch of other sites Host Karen.

Here's a link to it. Just add an h to the beginning.

ttp://www.boston.com/news/local/connecticut/articles/2006/03/16/family_of_missing_man_calls_for_cruise_company_ceo_to_resign/

Now if we can figure out a way to have the Smith family fired so that all of the so-called news outlets could actually work on reporting news!
I simply fired the news outlets (turned them off) because they are not interested in reporting news, just offering their opinions and analysis of the latest sound bite. I've been much happier since.

The full article appears in the Boston Herald and a bunch of other sites Host Karen.

ttp://www.boston.com/news/local/connecticut/articles/2006/03/16/family_of_missing_man_calls_for_cruise_company_ceo_to_resign/

I couldn't find that article (yes, I did add the "h" to the front of the url), but I did find the article where a woman bit off the tongue of a guy- her boyfriend or ex-boyfriend I gather. My guess is that she must have really been POed over something.

His remarks were completely insensitive and cruel. Unlike so many on these boards, I have to say if my loved one went on a cruise and ended up dumped at sea, with sharks feasting on him, as a result of an apparent on-board murder, I'd want some answers, too. Enough with blaming the family -- they weren't even there!

Hi remarks were unkind but i also think this family's repeated references to their son as "murdered" and the "cover-up" at RCl need to be challenged, also. Last I saw, nobody was charged and nobody knows what happened to George.

His remarks were completely insensitive and cruel. Unlike so many on these boards, I have to say if my loved one went on a cruise and ended up dumped at sea, with sharks feasting on him, as a result of an apparent on-board murder, I'd want some answers, too. Enough with blaming the family -- they weren't even there!

Im not so sure it was an "apparent" on-board murder but regardless, I totally agree with you his remarks were ridiculous, it is extremely unprofessional coming from an employee of Carnival, let alone the CEO. I sure hope he has to explain his comments to the directors.

Agree with you 100%, I am shocked by some of the comments made on this board regarding this tragic incident.

###

I agree that the comments made by a person at this level were uncalled for. The loss of a loved one should be taken seriously and not brushed off. Having said that, from all the information that has been available from the Cruise Line industry, as well as Royal Caribbean, it looks and reads as if they have cooperated fully. The Carnival CEO statements need to be taken in context with where he stated them -- responding to a broader issue of safety in the cruising industry. Unfortunately, like the Aruba case, all the facts will never be known. Let's just pray for the Smith family -- whether they are right or wrong in their continuing comments, they still lost a family member.

Agree with you 100%, I am shocked by some of the comments made on this board regarding this tragic incident.

###

I got disgusted with the very first thread started after the incident last July, and said so in the thread. I cannot believe how callous some people can be about others misery.

I saw on Greta Van S. last night that the Pres. of Carnival Lines apologized, which he should have. His comments about the media, etc. were true, but to use this specific situation, and refer to the Natalie Halloway incident like he did, were both out of line.

Even though we may be curious and give our opinions, and no matter what we may think of the family's validity for a lawsuit, or how George and his wife acted during that cruise, we still have to remember that he died and his family is suffering.

So now having forced a waste of taxpayer funds by having Congress investigate the Cruise ship industry, and garnering hours of media attention for themselves - the Smith family not satisfied with the way things are going - are attacking anyone and everyone who disagrees with them about the incident on the Brilliance. What do they really want - An apology - hell no - MONEY - and to force RCCL management to resign followed by every other cruise executive exec who disagrees with them - then have the Congress regulate the Cruise industry. Never once allowing for the fact that their son and daughter in law had one ounce of responsibility for what happened.

Just like in Aruba where it became a cause celebre for the Senator from that state to Boycott Aruba because his constituent met her fate - again Mommy blames Aruba not her kid.

Come on folks - lets let this rest - this is becoming a Farce - Film at 11????

So now having forced a waste of taxpayer funds by having Congress investigate the Cruise ship industry, and garnering hours of media attention for themselves - the Smith family not satisfied with the way things are going - are attacking anyone and everyone who disagrees with them about the incident on the Brilliance. What do they really want - An apology - hell no - MONEY - and to force RCCL management to resign followed by every other cruise executive exec who disagrees with them - then have the Congress regulate the Cruise industry. Never once allowing for the fact that their son and daughter in law had one ounce of responsibility for what happened.

Just like in Aruba where it became a cause celebre for the Senator from that state to Boycott Aruba because his constituent met her fate - again Mommy blames Aruba not her kid.

Come on folks - lets let this rest - this is becoming a Farce - Film at 11????

I certainly don't think it was a waste of taxpayer money, crimes at sea were rarely reported and almost never prosecuted. I'm not sure there was a crime in the Smith case but I am sure the bad publicity IS doing some good.

I have to say AMEN!

How pompous and ridiculous of the Smith's to ask for the resignation of a CEO. If taken in the whole context of what was said, I have to agree with what Bob Dickenson said (and I AM NOT remotely a Carnival fan). To me, it has no bearing on safety at sea. If you act irresponsibly anywhere in the world, bad things are more likely to happen. I laugh at the idiotic statements by the Smith's that RCI covered up the so-called murder. Yes, I would contact the local police and FBI if I wanted to cover up a murder! DUH! I used to feel sorry for George's parents (I never felt one ounce of pity for the so-called spouse), but you know, money grubbing has a way of turning my stomach. And I would gladly write this to the Smith's.

Hi remarks were unkind but i also think this family's repeated references to their son as "murdered" and the "cover-up" at RCl need to be challenged, also. Last I saw, nobody was charged and nobody knows what happened to George.

Agreed! They complain about what a CEO of another cruiseline says...yet they throw words around like "cover-up" with no proof.

They have NO idea what really happened. And the only one their former DIL is talking to is the news media. :rolleyes:

Agreed! They complain about what a CEO of another cruiseline says...yet they throw words around like "cover-up" with no proof.

They have NO idea what really happened. And the only one their former DIL is talking to is the news media. :rolleyes:

WOW, to be honest, I'm at a loss of words. What would you do if you were in the same position?

I've been following several websites of missing kids/adults, it's heartbreaking to read what these parents have gone/are going through. It's obvious that you are a parent, I'm not......

I sincerely hope that family and friends of missing kids/adults are not members of Cruise Critic.

###

BTW, while cutting and pasting copyrighted material is a copyright violation, providing a link is not - if it were, Google would be in deep doo doo.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/connecticut/articles/2006/03/16/family_of_missing_man_calls_for_cruise_company_ceo_to_resign/

Okay, I read the article in the Boston Herald. The following is MY OPINION. I stand ready to defend my thoughts, but I don’t think we need anymore name-calling or accusations of a lack of compassion over this case.

At worst Mr. Dickinson is guilty of an extremely unfortunate choice of words. The point he was trying to make was that the Smith disappearance (while tragic beyond belief!) does not indicate any trend of violence or “wild-west” mentality in the cruise industry. He was trying to point out that the news media needed a sensational case, and they latched on to the Smith case for its “sex appeal” (the newly-weds, the mysterious Russians, the drunken partying, the glamour of the cruise-liner, etc.)—My goodness, this is the stuff that novels are made of!

I don’t know what happened, and I doubt if anyone here knows what happened, but I believe that Royal Caribbean did everything they were legally and morally required to do in this particular instance, and I commend them for the forthrightness.

Let’s let the FBI and the other law enforcement agencies do their jobs with no hindrance from any news reporters, lawyers (YET!), or amateur sleuths.

Let the FLAMING begin…

WOOF!

I wonder if JHS will ever be charged. Nto with the murder/accidental death or whatever happened to George, but because as most parties agree, they were aksed not to divulge detaisl by the FBI and she has been on more or less a press tour since January. According to the RCL web-site, many of the things they have shared with her lawyers were shared on the understanding that they were for the investigation but she has released them

I would really recommend the Vanity Fair article, but to be honest it's mostly because I tend to agree with the suggestion. George was drunk and alone in the cabin after the other people left that night, he sat up on the railing of his balcony in a drunken state and fell off.

Archived