E Deck Cabins

Bloodaxe

The cruise I have been looking at only seems to have E Deck and Sun Deck standard cabins still available.

Is there a reason why E Deck cabins are so much cheaper than the ones higher up, are they restricted views or close to the promenade deck?.thanks in advance.

There are no restricted views on E-Deck other than the first eight cabins either side at the front (you can see out but not down because of Promenade Deck "skirt") & some of these are used for visiting entertainers. Sun Deck can be noisy with passengers walking through to Pool etc & up very high in poor weather.

23 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

The cruise I have been looking at only seems to have E Deck and Sun Deck standard cabins still available.

Is there a reason why E Deck cabins are so much cheaper than the ones higher up, are they restricted views or close to the promenade deck?.thanks in advance.

We've had the sun deck a couple of times... we think that it's a tad more costly because folk like to wander out to the pool area.

Generally speaking we'e found is very quiet but we've been close to the front and there is no through traffic but there is a stairway up to the observation deck as well as a lift... great advantage for sea or sky watching.

No noise from either the gym or from the Britannia Lounge in the cabins but music can be detected on the cabin balcony. 

49 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

The standard price increases as you go up the decks (you do get a better view from the upper decks).

Are the cabins on E deck shown as grade-L? This grade is at each end of the deck, and not available when the cruise first goes on sale (I think they are held back for entertainers), any unused L-grades get offered for sale nearer to sailing date.

Reason I asked is because E deck usually gets sold out quite quickly - it is a popular position.

You may sometimes hear people talking on the promenade when you are on the balcony, but the sound insulation on the new ships is very good, we have been on E deck (aft and midships) more than once (by choice) and no noise in the cabin. Very steady position, too.

We have cruised with people who always choose E Deck.

When ORCA are on board they are usuallly on Sun Deck or E Deck. Presumably it's the same for other entertainers.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, nosapphire said:

The standard price increases as you go up the decks (you do get a better view from the upper decks).

Are the cabins on E deck shown as grade-L? This grade is at each end of the deck, and not available when the cruise first goes on sale (I think they are held back for entertainers), any unused L-grades get offered for sale nearer to sailing date.

Reason I asked is because E deck usually gets sold out quite quickly - it is a popular position.

You may sometimes hear people talking on the promenade when you are on the balcony, but the sound insulation on the new ships is very good, we have been on E deck (aft and midships) more than once (by choice) and no noise in the cabin. Very steady position, too.

The available cabins on E deck are close to the front and rear of the Ship, thank you everyone you for your replies.

They are not showing any discounts, decision time seems to be running out.

Edited by Bloodaxe
At

Just been on the Saga Spirit of Discovery. 

Had a cabin on C deck which was very nice.  Many people we spoke to who were higher up, on B and A decks, and the sun deck felt the motion of the ship much more than we did.  It was quite rough in the North Sea 

A new friend, just met on this cruise had a good saying "The more you pay, the more you sway"

4 hours ago, FatBoy20 said:

There are no restricted views on E-Deck other than the first eight cabins either side at the front (you can see out but not down because of Promenade Deck "skirt") & some of these are used for visiting entertainers. Sun Deck can be noisy with passengers walking through to Pool etc & up very high in poor weather.

We've been up on the Sun Deck on a full ship. It's actually quiet up there. I wouldn't like it in winter as it blows and sways more 

Posted (edited)
On 1/7/2024 at 2:34 PM, Bloodaxe said:

The available cabins on E deck are close to the front and rear of the Ship, thank you everyone you for your replies.

They are not showing any discounts, decision time seems to be running out.

Went ahead and booked, E Deck at the back.

Thank you for the advice everyone.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, sleepingcat said:

Yes agree, astern on E deck would be our choice too. We are currently aboard S of D on Ddeck as Ewas booked, so a slightly longer walk to the library and the prom deck.   But still fab  …..

Saw that you left Funchal later than scheduled. Are you going to be late back to Portsmouth? You are not very far ahead of SoA on the CruiseMapper map.

As far as I can see it missed Santa Cruz de la Palma on the 14th, went straight from La Gomera on the 13th to Madeira on the 14th (arriving at 18.22, leaving 21.01... 2h 39m  in port)... Arrived Cherbourg yesterday morning 18th and at Honfleur today. Due Portsmouth tomorrow.. Very strange only 2 and a 1/2 hours in Madeira doesn't seem worth stopping. Weather related? , hopefully someone aboard will be able to explain. 

On 1/15/2024 at 9:39 AM, JMMKUK said:

Saw that you left Funchal later than scheduled. Are you going to be late back to Portsmouth? You are not very far ahead of SoA on the CruiseMapper map.

did not see this as had a dental emergency - crown fell out, fortunately a fellow passenger had a temporary r repair kit. re the question, I think Funchal departure was always scheduled for lunchtime. monday not a bad sea day, but tuesday and wednesday so wet it was impossible to even walk on deck.  ship had plenty of time in hand, we could have been back in Portsmouth on wed evening easily. I presume scheduled extra time in case of B of B  stormy, but in the event mainly it was just wet with zero visibility. 

Thanks for the update. You were lucky with your tooth repair. SoA certainly didn’t stay long in Funchal but at least you had a fairly smooth ride back to the English Channel.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Kenmure said:

Does anyone know why SoA  has been to Cherbourg and Honfleur. We don’t think it was on the itinerary?

I've been following that too. Hope someone can enlighten us.

11 hours ago, sleepingcat said:

did not see this as had a dental emergency - crown fell out, fortunately a fellow passenger had a temporary r repair kit. re the question, I think Funchal departure was always scheduled for lunchtime. monday not a bad sea day, but tuesday and wednesday so wet it was impossible to even walk on deck.  ship had plenty of time in hand, we could have been back in Portsmouth on wed evening easily. I presume scheduled extra time in case of B of B  stormy, but in the event mainly it was just wet with zero visibility. 

Sorry about your crown. Hope you have been able to get an appointment now you are home.

You were lucky to have so long in Funchal. We had a half day visit on Sapphire & all other visits have been unable to go ahead because of storms.

• Like 1