Luggage leaks?

tara n angel

DD#1 (now 20 y.o.) NEVER listens to a thing we tell her. Here parents couldn't possible know more tha she does (rolls eyes).

When we pack we always put ant "leakable" items in zip lock bags to avoid problems. To HER it was a 'waste of time" as the various bottles are "designed not to leak". I tried to explain to her the huge temperature swings and atmospheric pressure swings that occur during air travel. But, (rolls eyes) what do I know. (As a referance point I am an engineer in the packaging industry!).

So we took a trip to visit my sister in Mississippi which entailed flying from Philadelphia to Charlotte to New Orleans and then driving 2 hours. When we got to my sisters house and unpacked, sure enough, EVERYTHING in DD#1's bag was covered in sunscreen! The rest of us went out and spent the rest of the day and evening relaxing by the pool while DD#! spent the rest of the day washing all of her clothes!

BTW 2 years later the suitcase still smells like a coconut!

I now pack everything in those really large ziploc bags. Everything stays dry (my bags went through the floods in Dallas this weekend) and I don't have to worry about things leaking onto my clothing.

Last cruise, I packed some Fabreeze to spray on clothes, I packed it in a ziploc bag. When I went to unpack the suitcase, it smelled really nice but everything was wet. The Fabreeze had busted open and out of the Ziploc bag.

Unless it is a bottle of booze, nothing liquid ever gets packed into my suitcase. I have a rolling toiletry bag that all my cosmetics and toiletries are packed in and not checked. The booze (if we bother) is double bubble wrapped and double ziplocked.

I personally haven't had this happen but am wondering if anyone has any (funny) stories of anything leaking in their luggage.

Had my luggage and shave kit get mashed in Miami once. My Rogaine and Preperation H got mixed up together.

After a 7 day cruise my scalp had shrunk and I had a hair ball growing from my ass...

Not in my luggage, but a few years ago I bought a large bottle of vanilla in Mexico. I knew there would not be enough space in our carry-ons for it so i packed it in the cardboard box that we bought our water aboard in wrapped in plastic bags and surrounded by beach towels and dirty laundry. When we retrieved our luggage, i could not find the box for a while. Finally i found it over in a corner away from the rest of the luggage. One side was bashed in and the box looked as if it had been dropped from at least 20 feet high. Of course the bottle of vanilla had broken and everything reeked so badly of vanilla that I trashed the towels and wrapped the laundry in multiple plastic bags before redistributing it in our luggage.

Archived