Birthday dinner recommendations in LA/San Pedro

We’re cruising to the Mexican Riviera out of LA on the 20th. We’ll be driving in the day before and staying at the Crowne Plaza. That day happens to be a milestone birthday for my husband so I’d like to take him out for a nice dinner to kick off his birthday cruise. After a long day of driving I’m sure we’ll want to turn in early so I’m looking for something near the hotel. It doesn’t have to be super fancy, just a nice place with really good food. Any recommendations?

I would suggest The Queen Mary  ( Its a short trip over into Long Beach).  I think the Winston Churchill room is the fancy restaurant ( but its been years since I was there)

2 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

I think the Winston Churchill room is the fancy restaurant ( but its been years since I was there)

A good rec-- it's called Sir Winston's-- but unfortunately is still closed from the start of covid with plans to reopen it shortly. If it's open by the time the OP is there, and as good as before, I would second this.

The Chelsea Restaurant wouldn't be enough of a draw for me to go over there from San Pedro for dinner (unless your husband is a huge ocean liner buff) in which case a trip to the Observation Bar would also be in order to properly celebrate a birthday.  

Thanks. The Queen Mary sounds like fun but he’s not a huge ocean liner buff so with Sir Winston’s being closed I think for this trip it will probably work out better to stick closer to the hotel. Raffaello Ristorante looks good on line so that’s a good possibility. Seafood would be another option if there’s a good one nearby. Any other suggestions are welcome!

I hope your hubby has a happy birthday dinner and you have a great cruise!

Just watching to see if any other restaurant recommendations come in. We are sailing in Feb and I thought instead of starting a new thread, I would bump this one.

Thanks!

On 1/17/2024 at 4:28 PM, zimmerjulie said:

I hope your hubby has a happy birthday dinner and you have a great cruise

Thank you! We almost had to cancel but thankfully it’s back on. Made a reservation at  Raffaello Ristorante. I’ll let you know how it is.

On 1/19/2024 at 12:21 PM, Aquaticdreams said:

Thank you! We almost had to cancel but thankfully it’s back on. Made a reservation at  Raffaello Ristorante. I’ll let you know how it is.

How was it and what did you order? I just looked at the website, menu and some online reviews and it looks like a good fit for hubby and me when we sail in March.

On 1/22/2024 at 7:06 AM, TwinMamainMN said:

How was it and what did you order? I just looked at the website, menu and some online reviews and it looks like a good fit for hubby and me when we sail in March.

If my calculations are correct, they should be in Mazatlan today and may not be checking CC while they are onboard.

On 1/22/2024 at 7:06 AM, TwinMamainMN said:

image.thumb.jpeg.227a08493abcc5239f95b238ec39aa6d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a05a46e559122ff984f2343f366dc006.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.604843c975bb7bee5f213b36ba757c6b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.7b093044a8fb6b7c233c52862463fbb4.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.088cd6b4c3a666868eec33469c60b5ca.jpeg
We really enjoyed it! It was an easy two block walk from the Crowne Plaza. It’s a smallish but pretty restaurant. My husband ordered the Cioppino and loved it. My lamb was also very good. The calamari, appetizers, and tiramisu were excellent too. Thanks for the great recommendations! We plan on going again next time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1