Embarkation process in Iceland

Pucksthedog

Hello-  we've done several viking river cruises but this will be our first ocean. We're doing Iceland's Natural Beauty in July 2024. We have our own air but will be using a viking transfer and arriving around 6am the day of the cruise. I've read on here that you're taken to Harpa Concert Hall to wait until embarkation at 11am? Do you have to stay until embarkation, or can you chose to board separately later on? We'd like to leave our luggage to get loaded onto the boat, and then go out to explore the city. I'd like to do a whale watch that afternoon....but that will be tight if I have to spend 2+ hours hours hanging out in the Concert Hall and then board with the horde as our only option.

Embarked Saturn in Iceland summer of 2023.

I imagine you could go explore the city instead of waiting at Harpa.  Your transfer bus from the airport will have a Viking rep, be sure to let them know you will not be waiting at the concert hall, nor using the bus to the port.  That way Viking will not be looking for you!

Agree, as long as the Viking host knows where you are, you can leave the group and make your way to the ship independently. The host may have a suggestion for transportation to the port. By the way, Harpa is a fairly short walk to the whale watching boats! 

11 hours ago, HUNKY said:

Embarked Saturn in Iceland summer of 2023.

I imagine you could go explore the city instead of waiting at Harpa.  Your transfer bus from the airport will have a Viking rep, be sure to let them know you will not be waiting at the concert hall, nor using the bus to the port.  That way Viking will not be looking for you!

And, don't leave anything on the bus when you get to Harpa. 

In 2021 we arrived at 6 am on independent flight but with Viking transfer.  They took us to Harpa where we were checked into the ship and actually received our room key cards.  A nice breakfast was available and afterwards we had the choice of (1) just hanging out at the hall until transfer to ship at 11 am, (2) wandering on our own and returning by 11 to accompany our bags on the bus to the ship or (3) wandering on our own leaving our bags with Viking to transfer and finding our own way to the ship.  We checked in, had breakfast, took photos of Harpa and then walked around a little marina next to Harpa.  It was freezing cold and windy (yes July) so we returned to Harpa and found some benches inside for a nap.  Enjoy!  We loved that cruise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peregrina651 said:

And, don't leave anything on the bus when you get to Harpa. 

Really?  We were told to leave our bags on the bus, take note of our bus number and board the same bus to go to the port (or else tell them we would find our own way).  I think you were on a cruise or 2 before ours.  I guess the bottom line is that folks need to pay attention to what Viking tells them when they get there.