Arrival process in Barbados 2024

Hi everyone. Whenever we have done a Carribean cruise with P&O and Marella we land at Barbados and immediately get on a bus to go to the cruise port. We have never had to collect our cases or even enter any airport buildings. However we have read that when we go this week we will have to go through Immigration at the airport then collect our bags and then get on our bus to the port. This is so different to normal. Anybody on a cruise now who can tell us if this is correct? Hope someone can help. Thanks.

Are you on a Tui or Maleth flight?  If so you go straight to to the ship.   If you are flying with another airline then these are not “bonded” flights and do the process is you go through arrivals as other passengers on the flight 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Helenk1234 said:

We are on TUI flight. Thanks.

With TUI you will get off the flight and have a tiny walk to a coach which will take you direct to the ship and your cases will be delivered to your room

It's normal to have to wait a while before steps come to the plane at Barbados to get off and again on your coach before it departs the airport from our experience and what I read from others

We waited 30 mins for both last time which was annoying 

Once at the ship though it took us less than 15 mins to get through the admin and on the ship

And then about another 2 mins to buy a cocktail!

Lol

Smooth and easy but annoying waits as above

What's made you think it will before different this time?

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

With TUI you will get off the flight and have a tiny walk to a coach which will take you direct to the ship and your cases will be delivered to your room

It's normal to have to wait a while before steps come to the plane at Barbados to get off and again on your coach before it departs the airport from our experience and what I read from others

We waited 30 mins for both last time which was annoying 

Once at the ship though it took us less than 15 mins to get through the admin and on the ship

And then about another 2 mins to buy a cocktail!

Lol

Smooth and easy but annoying waits as above

What's made you think it will before different this time?

Were there toilets on the buses?

2 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Were there toilets on the buses?

No.  It’s only a short journey to the port.  Use the aircraft toilets after landing before disembarking 

9 hours ago, cheshire said:

No.  It’s only a short journey to the port.  Use the aircraft toilets after landing before disembarking 

It’s not distance it’s time that concerns me. 
I have to be very careful as I can’t be somewhere that doesn’t have toilet facilities for a length of time. So if we are waiting sat on the bus for it to load 30mins, plus 15mins to get on to the ship when it arrives plus however long it is to drive 30mins by google maps. That’s then not a short journey for me unfortunately 

so long as I know then I can sort but I just assumed they would have facilities 

1 hour ago, Vampiress88 said:

So from getting off the plane to the ship- even with all the waiting how long was that please?

I would say with the waiting on the coach and the journey (we also stopped for 5 mins on the journey) it was between 60 mins and 75 mins

(With an extra 20 to 30 minutes sat on the plane waiting to be able to get  off) 

I think they hold coaches back to ensure it doesnt get overcrowded at the Port but was strange as when we got to the Port there was barely any queues and they moved fast. 

So I guess it worked in that respect. But sitting on coaches in the sun not moving at the airport for 30 mins plus was annoying

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I would say with the waiting on the coach and the journey (we also stopped for 5 mins on the journey) it was between 60 mins and 75 mins

(With an extra 20 to 30 minutes sat on the plane waiting to be able to get  off) 

I think they hold coaches back to ensure it doesnt get overcrowded at the Port but was strange as when we got to the Port there was barely any queues and they moved fast. 

So I guess it worked in that respect. But sitting on coaches in the sun not moving at the airport for 30 mins plus was annoying

ok thanks ill plan accordingly 

When you see the size of the “coaches” you will realise that there are no toilets on them. In fact most are school buses so you will have your knees up to your chest and then you have to put your flight bag on your knees. They are pretty grim tbh.

I may have a solution to your problem though. 

My husband and I arranged for disabled assistance at both Manchester and Barbados airports as he cannot walk the distances now in place at Manchester terminal 2 and I cannot climb or descend stairs (there are no airbridges at Barbados). This means that you have to wait to leave the plane while everyone else gets off and then you use the ambulift vehicle which takes you from the plane to where the coaches line up. However, we did not have to use a coach but we had a private taxi from the airport to the ship. This was excellent. Now there are some advantages to this…….. while you are waiting on the plane you will be able to use a toilet, then you get on the lift and straight down to the ground for your waiting taxi. The journey time from airport to ship may not be much less than on a coach but it is a lot more comfortable and there are toilets in the check in shed on the quayside.

If you have not been to Barbados before, you will soon realise that most planes from the UK (TUI and BA and Virgin) tend to arrive in a fairly small window of time. By the time you have negotiated the aforementioned getting off the plane you are hitting rush hour traffic in Bridgetown which can be a nightmare. 
if you want to do what I suggest then you should phone TUI before you leave and speak to their assistance team a couple of weeks before your trip if possible. There is no charge for the service but we have found it to be very good. You can make sure about arrangements for the return whilst you are on the ship. A bung of a few dollars for the taxi drivers is appreciated.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, pennib said:

When you see the size of the “coaches” you will realise that there are no toilets on them. In fact most are school buses so you will have your knees up to your chest and then you have to put your flight bag on your knees. They are pretty grim tbh.

I may have a solution to your problem though. 

My husband and I arranged for disabled assistance at both Manchester and Barbados airports as he cannot walk the distances now in place at Manchester terminal 2 and I cannot climb or descend stairs (there are no airbridges at Barbados). This means that you have to wait to leave the plane while everyone else gets off and then you use the ambulift vehicle which takes you from the plane to where the coaches line up. However, we did not have to use a coach but we had a private taxi from the airport to the ship. This was excellent. Now there are some advantages to this…….. while you are waiting on the plane you will be able to use a toilet, then you get on the lift and straight down to the ground for your waiting taxi. The journey time from airport to ship may not be much less than on a coach but it is a lot more comfortable and there are toilets in the check in shed on the quayside.

If you have not been to Barbados before, you will soon realise that most planes from the UK (TUI and BA and Virgin) tend to arrive in a fairly small window of time. By the time you have negotiated the aforementioned getting off the plane you are hitting rush hour traffic in Bridgetown which can be a nightmare. 
if you want to do what I suggest then you should phone TUI before you leave and speak to their assistance team a couple of weeks before your trip if possible. There is no charge for the service but we have found it to be very good. You can make sure about arrangements for the return whilst you are on the ship. A bung of a few dollars for the taxi drivers is appreciated.

Just asking for a friend?

Lol

Do they ask for any proof of any disability?

Or can anyone try this?

Good question…….we had to fill in the form that P&O sent out asking for details of disabilities but we didn’t have to provide any proof of disabilities, not even photocopies of our blue badges! But I take your point. TBH I don’t think it is something that people know much about at the moment but you never know and, again, tbh you don’t want to be using the ambulift in Barbados if you can avoid it.

Be careful.if you are flying out on the Friday, you may not arrive in time to get to the ship, check in and then find the energy to get ready for a taxi to Oistins. If possible try to go with someone local to avoid being fleeced for food.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, pennib said:

Be careful.if you are flying out on the Friday, you may not arrive in time to get to the ship, check in and then find the energy to get ready for a taxi to Oistins. If possible try to go with someone local to avoid being fleeced for food.

We did this on the Friday night before we flew home on Saturday day

That's a good time to do it for those on Saturday flights

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2024 at 5:57 PM, Neecy1 said:

This is helpful as we are on the Brittania TA in March. We would like to try Oistins on the Friday evening as never been and wondered re timings.

You could aim to get there as early as 6pm if you wanted

I think arriving any time between 6pm and 8pm would work

Seem to think the taxi took about 45 minutes to get there 

2.5 hrs to 3 hrs once there is as much as you need I think to see It all and enjoy some food and drinks and the market stalls

Obviously you don't have to eat there but it's very much part of the experience I would say

Loads of lobster being cooked plus lots lots more

• Thanks 1

What time do the flights generally leave the UK. I’m assuming outbound is a daytime flight and the return flight is overnight. We are thinking about possibly  trying an Arvia cruise this time next year and the flights aren’t available yet, nor is the carrier. If it’s daytime there won’t be any need to sleep but wondering about the return

1 minute ago, scarlet ohara said:

What time do the flights generally leave the UK. I’m assuming outbound is a daytime flight and the return flight is overnight. We are thinking about possibly  trying an Arvia cruise this time next year and the flights aren’t available yet, nor is the carrier. If it’s daytime there won’t be any need to sleep but wondering about the return

My flights are 10.10 am from Gatwick and 5pm from Barbados.

2 hours ago, scarlet ohara said:

Going out will be a day flight way home is a night flight.