First time on NCL, couple questions

My wife and I are going to the West Carrib in March on the Joy.

1. The cruise comes with the FreeAtSea package but you can upgrade to a premium tier.  Does the standard tier cover all of the mixed drinks in all the bars but premium lets you upgrade to higher end spirits and wines?  Only my wife drinks, she likes mixed drinks but nobody is ordering any 12 year old scotch or more expensive wine.  I don't think I need to upgrade but want to make sure she can order all of the "fun" drinks.

2. We go in March and just booked at Christmas so pre-cruise reservations aren't available for everything.  My wife wants to see the shows and we'll need to book our 3 (we upgraded) specialty meals.  Do the shows book on day 1, should we do this as soon as we board?  Or do they release reservations each day?  We can reserve 2 of our 3 restaurants now but I don't know what time the shows are so I can book around them.  Maybe someone can point me to some sample schedules from this cruise so I can see the times for different shows.

3.  Is there anything we need to make sure we do as soon as we board so we don't miss out on something that could book up?  We've never been on a ship this large and I don't want to miss something because I didn't know to book it early.  I know about excursions and onshore stuff from other cruises, but specifically on the ship.  Also, I read about the parties they have on board (white, 80's, etc.). Is there anything else specific to NCL that I should know to pack for or be ready for?

Thanks! 

3 minutes ago, love4god said:

should we do this as soon as we board?

Do it as soon as you do your online check-in (21 days before the cruise).

The Joy has a Beatles cover band, they play in the Cavern Club but reservations are not available for that.  Get there early if you want a seat, it's a small venue.  The Observation lounge is beautiful (but will be smaller by then).  The Waterfront (deck 8 ) is a fantastic place!!

Posted (edited)

I have never upgraded my drink package, and never run into an issue.  I can get all sorts of fancy mixed drinks without an up charge.

I have cruised on NCL extensively and I have never booked my dining or shows before boarding.

I have been on very full cruises and when I went to reserve my specialty dining, I had to choose a later time than I might’ve preferred… but I have always been able to get into my restaurants on my nights. They’ll have an area on embarkation day where you can go talk to them to tell them the restaurants you want.  Use them instead of the kiosks because there’s a little bit of strategy: some of the venues are much smaller venues.  The staff will recommend which one to book first.

in terms of what not to miss: I am surprised by how many people frequent the buffet as opposed to the free restaurants. If you don’t have a lot of time, the buffet is probably quicker, but when you have time to kill like on boarding day, it is so relaxing to go into a regular dining room and be waited on for your multi-course lunch.  Head to Savor or Taste (two twin main dining rooms) as soon as you board and enjoy a leisurely quiet lunch.

if you cannot get tickets to a show or an event, try to attend stand by.  A lot of people with reservations end up not showing up.  They have a designated area for you to wait for standby and they’ll wave you in close to the beginning of the show.

And if there’s a specialty dining venue that you weren’t able to get reservations for, just go early in the evening and ask them if they think there might be any availability.  Because of no-shows or other reasons, they can usually fit you in.

my favorite part of NCL is their freestyle dining.  Don’t worry so much about the dining and other reservations.

have fun!!!

Edited by FitchburgWIFamily
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, love4god said:

My wife and I are going to the West Carrib in March on the Joy.

1. The cruise comes with the FreeAtSea package but you can upgrade to a premium tier.  Does the standard tier cover all of the mixed drinks in all the bars but premium lets you upgrade to higher end spirits and wines?  Only my wife drinks, she likes mixed drinks but nobody is ordering any 12 year old scotch or more expensive wine.  I don't think I need to upgrade but want to make sure she can order all of the "fun" drinks.

2. We go in March and just booked at Christmas so pre-cruise reservations aren't available for everything.  My wife wants to see the shows and we'll need to book our 3 (we upgraded) specialty meals.  Do the shows book on day 1, should we do this as soon as we board?  Or do they release reservations each day?  We can reserve 2 of our 3 restaurants now but I don't know what time the shows are so I can book around them.  Maybe someone can point me to some sample schedules from this cruise so I can see the times for different shows.

3.  Is there anything we need to make sure we do as soon as we board so we don't miss out on something that could book up?  We've never been on a ship this large and I don't want to miss something because I didn't know to book it early.  I know about excursions and onshore stuff from other cruises, but specifically on the ship.  Also, I read about the parties they have on board (white, 80's, etc.). Is there anything else specific to NCL that I should know to pack for or be ready for?

Thanks! 

The main shows (usually 2) open for reservations 120 days before departure; 125 days for Club Balcony & up.

Do this rather than waiting until being on board.

19 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

The main shows (usually 2) open for reservations 120 days before departure; 125 days for Club Balcony & up.

No, the shows open for booking at 21 and 26 days, as I noted in my previous reply in this thread.  The dining is 120 and 125.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

Choir of men opened exactly 21 days ahead of my cruise and not a moment sooner. 

5 hours ago, hallux said:

No, the shows open for booking at 21 and 26 days, as I noted in my previous reply in this thread.  The dining is 120 and 125.

5 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Sorry - those dates are for dining.

Thanks everyone for the really useful replies.  I'll be on the lookout when we're 20 something days out for the show reservations to open up. I found some PDF copies of the daily programs so I have an idea of what time shows start so I'll book my restaurants, the ones I can, now.  

It's good to know about stuff I don't get booked still potentially being available when we board or by asking.  Also, I'll definitely want to catch the Beatles cover band so we'll plan on getting anywhere they're playing early to get a seat.

44 minutes ago, love4god said:

Thanks everyone for the really useful replies.  I'll be on the lookout when we're 20 something days out for the show reservations to open up. I found some PDF copies of the daily programs so I have an idea of what time shows start so I'll book my restaurants, the ones I can, now.  

It's good to know about stuff I don't get booked still potentially being available when we board or by asking.  Also, I'll definitely want to catch the Beatles cover band so we'll plan on getting anywhere they're playing early to get a seat.

I can't guarantee it, but usually the only problems you'd have is if you don't know to book upon boarding if you didn't prebook.  The only people on the getaway who were unhappy with reservations didn't realize they had to make reservations until their second day and by then they couldn't get into the specialty restaurants at good times.  As long as you prebook most of it, and book the rest immediately upon boarding you should be fine (we were able to get our last specialty dining reservation upon booking so you should be fine since you are already planning.

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Thanks for this info -=- we are first time NCL as well.  Can you clarify: if we are Club Balcony, we can book entertainment at 25 days, or 21?  Sorry but the posts still are not clear.  We did book our specialty dining at 125 days which was nice.

For the drink package, you get drinks up to $15 which covers most options except if you were to order higher end liquors.  If you purchase something more than $15, you will get the $15 towards that drink and pay the difference plus 20% of that difference.  For example, if the drink is $17, you will pay $2.40($2 difference plus .40 gratuity).

Since its only your wife that really drinks, it doesn't makes sense to upgrade and you can just pay the difference if she orders something over.    

1 hour ago, benel204 said:

Thanks for this info -=- we are first time NCL as well.  Can you clarify: if we are Club Balcony, we can book entertainment at 25 days, or 21?  Sorry but the posts still are not clear.  We did book our specialty dining at 125 days which was nice.

Nope - still 21 days.

On 1/9/2024 at 3:05 PM, love4god said:

Only my wife drinks, she likes mixed drinks but nobody is ordering any 12 year old scotch or more expensive wine. 

Just a point of clarification.  Several 12 year old scotches are covered by the basic drink package.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Liljo22 said:

For the drink package, you get drinks up to $15 which covers most options except if you were to order higher end liquors.  If you purchase something more than $15, you will get the $15 towards that drink and pay the difference plus 20% of that difference.  For example, if the drink is $17, you will pay $2.40($2 difference plus .40 gratuity).

Since its only your wife that really drinks, it doesn't makes sense to upgrade and you can just pay the difference if she orders something over.    

Great!  I was wondering if you got the more expensive drinks at discount.  I think we're fine right where we're at.

The "Beatles" will have an opening show in the theater on the very first night, maybe 30 minutes of early hits.  You will meet the cruise director, and many of the ships officers. We always go because it is a good way to start the cruise.

You can then decide if this rendition of the band is worth seeing in the smaller Cavern Club during the cruise.

We're first time NCL too.  Usually always book Celebrity, RCCL and others & never have to book a reservation for a show.  We're on the Getaway - 4/2924.  Will there be a list of shows on the website stating what's available for booking reservations?  That part is new to me.  Thank you!!

47 minutes ago, Tbird58 said:

Will there be a list of shows on the website stating what's available for booking reservations?

It will be in the Explore & Plan section.

47 minutes ago, Tbird58 said:

ever have to book a reservation for a show

Consider this - the theater seats 900 (thereabouts), the ship capacity is 4,000 + or - at double occupancy, they have 4 show times for each show.