Mini Review - 12/08/23 Millennium 12 Night Spice Route Cruise

Luigi G

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

Luigi G was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

Here are some quick notes and tips. Not all are directly applicable to Celebrity but our trip in general. We have been sailing with Celebrity for 24 years / CC Elite. We travel extensively mostly to Europe and not on a cruise ship.

Good

·        Itinerary is fantastic. A must do if interested in this part of the world

·        Ship in overall very good shape. Minor signs of wear but good overall

·        Crew was great especially in the main dining room & rendezvous lounge

·        Bands were good

·        Food was the best it has been since covid and we enjoyed all of our meals. Indian on the lunch buffet was outstanding at times.               Oswald Habrecht has been on this Millennium since it entered service and I think this a direct result of his continued involvement

·        Shore excursion were well organized for the most part some were very long

·        Affogato available off menu item in Baccio!

·        Expansive Indian Vegetarian available off menu in main dining room. This slowed down normal service at times but we were in not            rush so did not concern us

·        Buffalo Trace in all bars. Cattier champagne if you make a bartender friend (no charge on Premium)

·        New? Japanese? Chocolates are much better than the old stuff but still miss Cova

·        Debarkation was quick and smooth

·        Pre and post cruise hotels were fantastic (self-booked). Taj Palace in Mumbai which is a must do if you are OK with the cost and               Fullerton in Singapore which was decorated for Christmas and had carolers on Christmas eve. Two of the best hotel breakfasts we            ever had

·        Virgin Atlantic and Japan Airlines flights were great and on time  

Neutral

·        Passengers were a mix of British, Indian, Russian, Canadian, Australian, American (in order of %).

·        You MUST have a full Indian & Sri Lankan visa (not in transit)

·        Be sure to complete your electronic arrival card to Singapore on the ship as instructed or you will end up on an endless line

·        Get the GRAB app for Singapore no Ubers

·        Uber from Mumbai airport to our hotel was quick, easy and very inexpensive

·        Celebrity will hold your passport for part of the cruise and collect a copy of your Sri Laken visa. Remember to bring extra hard copy

·        Singapore is expensive

Bad

·        Indian immigration at Mumbai airport is very slow given how much information we provided when we completed our visa                           application. Use caution and ensure you are in the correct line because they will send you to the back of the correct line if you are             not. They will also request a copy of your boarding pass so try not to leave it on the plane

·        Red & White Wine by the glass and mixers are poor in our opinion (had premium package)

·        Embarkation was a disaster as it took place at a hotel and everyone arriving congested the streets so bad the busses had difficult             leaving for the ship. We did not get our luggage till just before late seating dinner

·        Wife found the Goyard boutique in Singapore 😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

We will be doing this Mumbai to Singapore in 2024.  Looking forward to it.  Thank you for the mini review.  I have stayed at a few different Taj Palace hotels in India, and also plan to stay at the one in Mumbai.  I will check out the Fullerton in Singapore.  

18 hours ago, Luigi G said:

Bad

·        Indian immigration at Mumbai airport is very slow given how much information we provided when we completed our visa                           application. Use caution and ensure you are in the correct line because they will send you to the back of the correct line if you are             not. They will also request a copy of your boarding pass so try not to leave it on the plane

😊

Thank you for the review and tips. Perhaps you would be able to answer a few questions for me. How can one know what line to be in for India immigration? We arrive at 1:30am, did you arrive in the wee morning hours and were able to get an Uber?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I wish somebody can help us out. We are going to take celebrity millennia cruise three legs, Singapore to Mumbai then back to Singapore then go to Tokyo starting February 8 finishing at March 16.
because of a timeline is a rush we just finish another trip back to home, now prepare for this cruise so the Indian visa is still not completed yet .

so #1, could we ask celebrity cruise line to apply for Indian visa at our cost? Or that’s not possible at all?!

#2, so is evisa the way to apply? No visa-on arrival, right?!

Appreciated!

Brian and Pei

11 hours ago, cruiser7011 said:

Hello, I wish somebody can help us out. We are going to take celebrity millennia cruise three legs, Singapore to Mumbai then back to Singapore then go to Tokyo starting February 8 finishing at March 16.
because of a timeline is a rush we just finish another trip back to home, now prepare for this cruise so the Indian visa is still not completed yet .

so #1, could we ask celebrity cruise line to apply for Indian visa at our cost? Or that’s not possible at all?!

Appreciated!

Brian and Pei

I cannot speak to #2 but everything I have read on CC indicates that you are responsible for your own Visa's and Celebrity is not in a position to assist at all.  

11 hours ago, cruiser7011 said:

Appreciated!

Brian and Pei

Without knowing the country of your passport I can't comment on VOA other than to say that it is available for some countries so it's worth a google. I'm on the middle leg of your trip and recently applied for e-visas for us - for Sri Lanka as well as India. Neither were difficult (albeit the Indian one had more questions/stringent photo requirements) and  both were approved quickly.

I’m visiting Sri Lanka next year, and have done a quick look at the visas. My understanding was a “transit” visa was only for visitors who were transiting at an airport? I thought that even if you decided not to leave the ship, a visa is required? Happy to be corrected! Not applied for my visa yet. 

21 hours ago, StopTheWorld said:

I’m visiting Sri Lanka next year, and have done a quick look at the visas. My understanding was a “transit” visa was only for visitors who were transiting at an airport? I thought that even if you decided not to leave the ship, a visa is required? Happy to be corrected! Not applied for my visa yet. 

That is also my understanding. I hope cruiser7011 reads your post and investigates further.