How Does One Go About Getting A Route Deviation?

Rick&Jeannie

2 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Did a Google search in regards to Princess but could not find anything definitive.  Plenty of discussions here on CC, but nothing as to how you actually get one.

Contact Princess directly with your request. 

• Like 1

I'm actually asking (indirectly) for someone else.  They said they tried to do so...ran into a brick wall in the call center!  I'm trying to determine the mechanics of the process.  Is there a form that needs to be filled out?  If so...where can this be had?  If no form...is it all just done verbally?  (That seems rather crazy...)

23 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I'm actually asking (indirectly) for someone else.  They said they tried to do so...ran into a brick wall in the call center!  I'm trying to determine the mechanics of the process.  Is there a form that needs to be filled out?  If so...where can this be had?  If no form...is it all just done verbally?  (That seems rather crazy...)

Someone recently posted that there is a form to complete.

Have your friend contact a TA (if using one) or get in touch with a CVP. 

The CVP that I use got my business by doing me a favor that the call center couldn't/wouldn't fix. He helps me with issues that have nothing to do with the cruises that I have booked, i.e. the app showing that I'm a newbie or uses DH's middle name for me. He fixed, no prob.

• Like 1

A few years ago we went through the Route Deviation process for a cruise that stopped in Victoria, BC and set sail to Vancouver later that night to disembark the following morning. Since we had planned to get back to Vancouver Island anyway after the cruise to visit family I contacted Princess and told them what I wanted to do and they told me that was a Route Deviation and transferred me to another department where I left my information/name/phone number. They called back a few days later and said that I could indeed do the deviation I had planned and they completed the form over the phone with the required information. If I recall, it was less than a week that I had an email confirmation of the approved Route Deviation. Once on the ship we verified with Guest Services and all was set. We did NOT get any refunds for being on the cruise one less night but that was ok. In Victoria, we disembarked with our luggage (we had to take our luggage ourselves) and cleared Customs once off the ship in Victoria.

• Thanks 1

We did it right before Pandemic that stopped all cruises.  Our cruise would end at St. Petersburg.  Russia announced it would deny entries of certain nationalities after Covid broke out.  The previous port was Tallinn.  We went thru the motion, had our TA asked Princess (a special dept handled it because they had to coordinate with the port authority where you disembarked), and came back with an approval, with the information that we would not get refund on the last day we were not on the ship.

A week later, ALL cruises were suspended and subsequently canceled.

I think it is still possible to do, except you need to talk to the right dept. 

• Like 1

Everyone.  Thank you very much for your help.  I did more research based on the tips provided and came up with the following: 

https://www.princess.com/en-us/legal/passage-contract/pcl

11. UNAUTHORIZED STOPOVER OR DISEMBARKATION.

Unauthorized stopover or disembarkation or failure to make any sailing of the vessel at any port shall be at Your sole risk and expense. You may be denied subsequent boarding, and You will not be entitled to any refund, payment, compensation or credit of any kind. If You plan to disembark the vessel and/or to off load packages, boxes, or baggage before Your authorized port of call, You must advise the Passenger Services Desk no later than the day before arrival in that port to arrange an inspection of You and/or Your belongings by local customs authorities. Should You fail to comply with this requirement and You and/or Your belongings are not presented for inspection, You may be assessed monetary penalties by local authorities. Furthermore, You agree to assume and/or reimburse Carrier for any expenses or fines that may be incurred as a result of such noncompliance. You acknowledge that for round trip cruises commencing in a country that stop in other ports of that country, You may visit but may not permanently disembark in any port in that country other than the port of embarkation.  If You do disembark in a different port in that country, a fine or penalty may be imposed by that country’s government.  In consideration of the fare paid, You hereby agree to pay any such fine or penalty imposed because of Your failure to complete the entire Cruise.

Edited by traveller_mike

@traveller_mike... the section of text you posted appears to be specifically related to notification of onboard ship personnel prior to your planned debarkation.  I think we've pretty well established that there needs to be *some* type of notification/authorization *well* before sailing date.  The specifics of that piece of information (in my mind) are still a bit fuzzy.  It appears that you are going to have to call Princess and ask to speak directly with whatever department deals with "route deviations".

• Like 1

Route deviation needs to be pre-approved BEFORE boarding the ship.

The text is for the actual process in preparation for early disembarkation.  You cannot do early disembarkation unless you have been pre-approved by the HQ before sailing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...