Chogogo Dive & Beach Resort

dlphn501

Has anyone gone here later in the day?  We are in port from 9a - 10p on a Tuesday in April, and we have an excursion from 10a-12p.  Wondering if they will sell out of day passes by the time we get there.

They often do sell out on cruise ship days.   They put a sign by the entrance that says “no day passes” once they sell out.   You could call them and ask when you’re back from your excursion, or if you really want to go there, go buy one before your tour.  What excursion are you taking?  

2 hours ago, Katefromupstate said:

You could call them and ask when you’re back from your excursion, or if you really want to go there, go buy one before your tour.  What excursion are you taking?  

That's a good idea!  Do you think I have enough time to get there and back if we arrive to port at 9 and my excursion is at 10?  How much are taxis there and back?  I read somewhere it was around $4/person each way, but I just watched a Youtube video that said it was "too expensive [for 2 people] so we just walked the 1.5 miles".  We are doing Land Sailing.

Since we live here and have our own car, I’m not familiar with taxi prices.  I would call the hotel the morning you get here and see if they will take your credit card over the phone.  If not, I think you could grab a taxi as soon as you get off the ship and easily make it back for your 10 am excursion.  It’s a short ride, and you could ask the taxi to wait in front of reception while you buy the day pass.  

Land sailing is lots of fun.   We do it everytime we have guests come to visit us.  Enjoy!

On 1/13/2024 at 3:54 PM, Katefromupstate said:

Since we live here and have our own car, I’m not familiar with taxi prices.  I would call the hotel the morning you get here and see if they will take your credit card over the phone.  If not, I think you could grab a taxi as soon as you get off the ship and easily make it back for your 10 am excursion.  It’s a short ride, and you could ask the taxi to wait in front of reception while you buy the day pass.  

Land sailing is lots of fun.   We do it everytime we have guests come to visit us.  Enjoy!

I've been thinking of trying Chogogo when we visit next week also but since you live there can I trouble you and ask is there a beach with a nice restaurant/bar you would say is better for a day of relaxing? It's my birthday when we are there and I want to make the best choice. I also thought about Windwood and appreciate any feedback you have. Thanks!

no problem, I’m always happy to help with Bonaire questions.  Chogogo has 2 restaurants  (a beach bar/restaurant and an open air restaurant) a beach, pool and lazy river, but if you want the most upscale, quiet resort with a restaurant, bar, pool and the best beach on the island, look at Harbor Village Resort.  They don’t let cruise ship excursions there, but sometimes have individual day passes if you call them.  It’s $100 per person and doesn’t include anything but the use of the facilities.  Plenty of shaded beach chairs under palm trees, and the beach is almost empty during the day since most of their hotel guests are diving.) Their excellent restaurant, La Balandra, is open for lunch and sits right on the beach, shaped like a boat that juts into the water.    Even though I live here, we checked into this hotel for a mini vacation for 2 nights a couple of months ago to enjoy the gorgeous beach, restaurant and rooms. 

If you want a nice beach to relax at without paying a day pass, try Te Amo beach, which is also called Airport Beach since it’s across from the airport.   Nice sand beach, and generally two food trucks are there with food or drinks.  Generally lots of cruisers there, but it’s a big beach.  No chairs there, though.  

There’s also Eden Beach resort next to Chogogo, Plaza Beach Resort, Divi Flamingo Resort, Delfins Resort, etc.  Since everyone wants something a little different, probably the best thing is to google these places and look at their pictures and videos on their websites to see which one appeals to you the most. 

Enjoy your time on Bonaire, and I hope you have a wonderful Birthday!

Kate

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, Katefromupstate said:

It’s $100 per person and doesn’t include anything but the use of the facilities.

Have they changed their rates? I read another post that suggested that the rate was $25 with a $10 food credit. I'd like to know as we'll be there end of January.

Actually it IS as I mentioned. Confirmed on their website.

https://chogogobonaire.com/beach/

Edited by WVU_Neal

Would you say that the area to snorkel would be relatively calm and safe for young children. We are taking grandchildren (7,9), they can both swim but have never snorkeled before. Do they offer lifejackets and snorkel equipment?

The beach entry at Chogogo is shallow enough that they can stand up.   They will probably love the zero entry pool and the lazy river there. 
Hotels don’t usually rent snorkel gear unless they have an onsite dive shop. 

Dive shops on Bonaire will rent snorkel equipment, usually about $8 for each piece per day.   So mask, snorkel and fins would be around $24 per person.  No lifejackets, since they are mostly renting dive equipment, which is a BC (buoyancy compensator) vest designed for divers to wear underwater and above. 

My suggestion is that you buy inexpensive snorkel sets (make sure snorkel is a dry snorkel that makes it hard for water to get in) and bring them with you.  It will probably be less than the cost of rentals.  I’ve never seen regular life jackets or rentals here, since  a regular life jacket will make it difficult for snorkeling. It is designed to keep you erect with your head above water, when snorkeling, you need to lie flat with your face in the water.   Salt water is very buoyant and if you’re with your grandchildren in shallow water and they can swim, you may not need it.  If you want one, I’d go for blow ups on their arms or a sling type that has a net area they can lay across with two blow up compartments on either side.   It looks like a little hammock and you can sit or lie in it.  Folds to almost nothing.  

I would also have the kids practice in the shallow pool until they are quite comfortable breathing in and out through the snorkel and kicking, before bring them into the sea. 

Enjoy!

• Thanks 2