Allura…is it too late to add Jacques and la Reserve ?

BEEZLEE

1 hour ago, SATaxman said:

Have not been on Vista yet. That steak looks wonderful. How did it taste? I love the tomato. Old school, but really good.

My husband said it was fabulous, but overwhelming. 
I had the tenderloin, no baked potato or corn on cob, instead  - veggies.
Put the remainder of my tenderloin in a small zip bag for later.
I too, like the baked tomato. 
Vista Dec 2024 - getting ready.    🥩

On 9/15/2024 at 1:20 PM, Harters said:

I get that. Looking at the photo, it seems a very unbalanced plate of food. Just too much meat for me and not enough of everything else by comparision.

So, don't order it.
The server didn't quite explain the size.

10 minutes ago, alibaba1 said:

So, don't order it.
The server didn't quite explain the size.

I think about steakhouses, where the sides are often on separate plates. 3 little potatoes? I agree, not enough for that large, beautiful steak. Have not been on Vista yet; however, we definitely will try Ember. The good reviews seem to out weigh the bad ones.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

I think about steakhouses, where the sides are often on separate plates. 3 little potatoes? I agree, not enough for that large, beautiful steak. Have not been on Vista yet; however, we definitely will try Ember. The good reviews seem to out weigh the bad ones.

.... one of people complaining the loudest about Embers had never eaten in the restaurant, in fact had never been on Vista!

• Haha 4

We've only been on Vista once and my husband didn't make a reservation for Ember because he believed all those who said it was awful.  I protested and once we got on board we made a reservation.  We were both very happy with our meals and will definitely go back on our next cruise on Vista in April.  I saw the recent menu that was posted and I like the fact that they change things up once in a while.

I didn't have a steak and I'll agree that's too much meat for me but the shrimp tacos I had were excellent.  

I'll agree that Ember is a love it or hate type specialty restaurant but I think everyone should at least give it a try.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SATaxman said:

We'll be on Vista again in Dec '24 and Mar '25. and will definitely have Ember on our list.
At least enjoy the Jumbo Breaded Shrimp w/Remoulade and the Salt Crusted Beetroot Salad for starters. We can skip the entrees and go to Terrace or MDR if we're still hungry' I doubt it. You'll enjoy beautiful Vista. 

E6.jpg

Ember - Salt Crusted Roasted Beetroot Salad.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, basor said:

one of people complaining the loudest about Embers had never eaten in the restaurant, in fact had never been on Vista!

I think  know to whom you refer. I cannot recall if it was them, or another contributor, but I do recall someone, who had not eaten there, suggesting that Ember could not possibly be a "good" restaurant because the tables didnt have tablecloths. It seemed such an old-fashioned criterion for a restaurant. I struggle to think of any high end restaurants in my metro area, listed by Michelin, that have tablecloths. 

1 hour ago, Harters said:

I think  know to whom you refer. I cannot recall if it was them, or another contributor, but I do recall someone, who had not eaten there, suggesting that Ember could not possibly be a "good" restaurant because the tables didnt have tablecloths. It seemed such an old-fashioned criterion for a restaurant. I struggle to think of any high end restaurants in my metro area, listed by Michelin, that have tablecloths. 

Classic example of form over substance.  

• Like 2

Having been on all three of the “large” ships, I liked Vista the least. 

The addition and deletion of venues is certainly Oceania’s call.  We walked through Ember and found it unappealing in comparison to the other restaurants and a HORRIBLE substitute for Jacque’s.  There was already one premier steakhouse on board, so the need for a TexasRoadHouseApplebee’s “knockoff” seemed silly. 

My protest was to not book Ember, and let others “enjoy” the total absence of atmosphere. 

Also destroyed on Vista was the Priveé concept, instead of letting guests choose their favorites from the menus of Polo and Toscana, the new concept is watered down with an attempt to “sell” the menus from La Reserve.   The sad part about axing La Reseve is that it was a great opportunity to meet fellow grape juice enthusiasts, and when done early on a cruise, could then result in inviting them later to Priveé.  Did this a couple of times and it was great fun. 

New and improved isn’t always what it’s supposed to be.  Doing the Marina in December and the Riviera in April.  Good chance Oceania is going to get snoozed. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Harters said:

Oh please no….not a return to the Great Tablecloth Debate😱

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I don’t believe Ember is a love or hate venue as defined by @iowananny. I believe it’s just a typical mid level American (ized) restaurant of ordinary quality. It’s definitely not” special “ but it’s not hate able, but not exceptional. People in the US dine regularly at similar quality restaurants for simple, quick , yet upscale meals.

If there is a problem, as I believe there is, the noise reduction in the design is very poor. Noise seems to be amplified, not muted, within the establishment.

58 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I don’t believe Ember is a love or hate venue as defined by @iowananny. I believe it’s just a typical mid level American (ized) restaurant of ordinary quality. It’s definitely not” special “ but it’s not hate able, but not exceptional. People in the US dine regularly at similar quality restaurants for simple, quick , yet upscale meals.

If there is a problem, as I believe there is, the noise reduction in the design is very poor. Noise seems to be amplified, not muted, within the establishment.

Truly amazing how much passion and animated discussion this restaurant evokes.  I liked it and would have gone back but my wife did not so we didn’t book a second meal there.  Sailing on the Allura next year and plan to eat there.   Seems to be a love it or hate proposition for some but I enjoyed all the food venues on the Vista though some more than others for a variety of reasons. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

Much better than an Applebees. More on the par of J. Alexanders (Or maybe Houston's) for those who have been to that restaurant.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

Much better than an Applebees. More on the par of J. Alexanders (Or maybe Houston's) for those who have been to that restaurant.

I agree. J Alexander’s is a perfect comparison.

• Like 1