Formal Night Suit Colour

holidaylover10

5 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

... Waistcoats came back in vogue courtesy of Messrs Southgate and Allardyce, to switch codes...

Nail in the coffin.

Football [soccer] link.

That's enough to assure me 100% a waistcoat is  not required.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

Cufflinks, at least in rugby circles, are important, mine are from the White Star Line naturally

A curious aside: what’s your connection to the White Star Line? (I noticed the house flag before.)

7 minutes ago, NE John said:

My pet peeve is men starting the evening wearing a tuxedo/DJ then taking it off at dinner or dancing. I see that at weddings too. 

Me too [unless the chap is in danger of expiring due to heat overload, and yes, for the naysayers, the temperature can get hot and beads of sweat is SO not nice] except I read a piece which said dancers' jackets aren't always comfortable so a waistcoat in those circs. can be useful on the dance floor.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, rmsEtruria said:

A curious aside: what’s your connection to the White Star Line? (I noticed the house flag before.)

Very tenuous family connection to the original families that owned White Star. I still have an uncashed in share certificate, so I think I own White Star. Probably wishful thinking!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

Very tenuous family connection to the original families that owned White Star. I still have an uncashed in share certificate, so I think I own White Star. Probably wishful thinking!

Wonderful!

If wearing a Tux; I'd try to keep that on for eating and dancing. Unbuttoned while sitting down to eat and buttoned up again before leaving table. But if it became unbearably hot, and often we did find Exxile's music in the disco better for strict tempo dancing than that in the Queens Room, I would remove the jacket before I would consider stopping/pausing dancing.

If I did think about removing the Tux while eating it would be to protect the jacket from sauce splashes. However we have discovered micro pegs, designed to replace pins in dress making. They are great for holding napkins in place to protect ones clothing!

5 hours ago, rsquare said:

Pushpit's comment raises a question that I have had for a while about dinner jackets.  I have seen gentlemen (almost invariably British when I have heard them speaking) on formal nights wearing a tuxedo jacket with ordinary black dress trousers (ie, no side stripe), a regular dress shirt (sometimes even with a button-down collar) worn with a black bowtie and no cummerbund or waistcoat.

Apparently, this passes muster with Britannia's maitre d'.  Is this a style of formalwear that is widely considered acceptable, or is it a hack to save packing space and sort of look like you are complying with the dress code?

If the fabric of the trousers matches the fabric of the jacket, I would call it "a dark suit with an interesting lapel". (If the fabrics don't match, I don't know what to call it. An upscale sport-coat-and-slacks?) Actual black tie includes the stripe-y trousers, a formal shirt and a waist covering - either a cummerbund or a waistcoat (to disguise the fact that your shirt studs don't go all the way down).

However, given what passes for formal wear on the red carpets of the world ...

(I just skimmed a page of images of "James Bond tuxedo", and apparently Daniel Craig doesn't wear a waist covering, although I think all of the others do. But in any picture where he isn't "en deshabille", the jacket is buttoned.)

Just watched Andrea Bocelli singing and playing piano on a tv program dressed formally (repeat I think). Dress shirt had standard rather than winged collar. Looked absolutely fine.

I have one cut-away collar formal shirt. I've not worn it with a tux and bow tie yet. But I imagine it should be ok.

55 minutes ago, D&N said:

Just watched Andrea Bocelli singing and playing piano on a tv program dressed formally (repeat I think). Dress shirt had standard rather than winged collar. Looked absolutely fine.

I have one cut-away collar formal shirt. I've not worn it with a tux and bow tie yet. But I imagine it should be ok.

A standard collar is fine in black tie as long as it's an actual formal shirt (cufflinks and studs) - doesn't have to be a wing collar. Likewise, a standard black silk necktie is fine - doesn't have to be a bow tie.

I know I'm sounding like a prig, and gala nights are not black tie per se. Just sayin' - if you want to dress black tie, go full black tie. Anything less can look sloppy (in my opinion, of course), and you'd be better off just going with the "dark suit". (I'll give ground on the cummerbund, as long as you keep your jacket buttoned.)

• Like 1

Blah blah blah - its 2024 not 1912....

A blue or grey suit is perfectly acceptable....  If you want to gussy it up a bit - wear  a bow tie..they are fun & your steward can help w the tying if needed.

I have tuxes, dinner jackets . dinner suits & business suits - all anyone really notices is what the women are wearing(altho the handsome officers certainly get their share of oohs & aaahs - deservedly).

Go dance the nite away - it all ends up on a chair in the end!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

DH projects a superb figure in black tailored pants, white formal shirt with cufflinks and studs, as mentioned above, and his favoured midnight blue velvet dinner jacket with black lapels to match pants.  Although he has formal pants with said stripe at home, he always packs for holidays in the other hemisphere, very finely tailored black pants with a hint of a sheen to match said lapels.  That way, the pants can also be worn with a sports jacket on less formal evenings.  Daniel Craig, eat your heart out, IMHO😉

• Like 2

Someone on here will correct me as required, but what I recall (from when such things were taught) the general British/Anglo conventions were:

• White Tie (tails etc, VERY formal)
  • Black Tie (dinner suit, black (bow)tie. A.k.a. "Tuxedo" in USA),
  • Morning Dress (wear it to the Royal Enclosure at the Races?)
  • Cocktail Dress (dressier than Lounge, little more flamboyant/less restricted than Black Tie)
  • Lounge Suit (probably the equivalent of business suit in Aust and USA).

These dress codes used to appear on formal invitations.

In my opinion it's very prescriptive, somewhat dated, elitist and not as relevant, but everybody, including the ladies, knew what it meant and complying ensured that you would not be embarrassed.

So as I see it as a new Cruisecritic Cunard disciple, for Gala Evenings: of course, wear White or Black Tie if you wish, you will look and feel spectacular. If you love the tradition of dress codes, then stride out in your trousers with satin stripes, your winged collar, your satin lapels, cufflinks and bow tie you tied earlier. BEAUTIFUL.

But if someone wants/needs to wear trousers without a satin stripe, or an ordinary collar rather than winged one, a lounge suit with or without a tie, (even a suit that is pale coloured 😮😉 ) or trousers and open-necked business shirt ("button-down" in USA?) then surely that complies with Cunard's dress code? It would certainly not bother me if people wore such attire in the evenings, including Gala ones. I just want everyone to feel socially comfortable on their holiday. 

PLEASE JUST MAKE SURE YOU WEAR SOCKS!!!! (even if you wear you casual loafers)

Edited by maggielou362
  • Like 6

Just to add, I LOVE getting dressed up, and my husband will be tying his own black bowtie to go under his winged collar. The dinner suit, with its satin stripe and lapels, has been cleaned and pressed. However, as the (annoying) phrase goes, "you do YOU".

(but don't forget your socks, unless you are wearing sandals)

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, maggielou362 said:

Agreed. For younger and millennial men there is a concerning trend of wearing formal shoes sans socks and having the trouser legs come down above the ankle, showing skin. Personally I find it tacky but also surely it must be uncomfortable after a while for the wearer (my discomfort as an observer begins on sight of the offending fashion)? 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, maggielou362 said:

Just to add, I LOVE getting dressed up, and my husband will be tying his own black bowtie to go under his winged collar. The dinner suit, with its satin stripe and lapels, has been cleaned and pressed. However, as the (annoying) phrase goes, "you do YOU".

(but don't forget your socks, unless you are wearing sandals)

Or casual shorts, as opposed to trekking types. Socks and shoes with holiday shorts often looks a no no

...however stinky feet might get.🙂

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

If the fabric of the trousers matches the fabric of the jacket, I would call it "a dark suit with an interesting lapel". (If the fabrics don't match, I don't know what to call it. An upscale sport-coat-and-slacks?) Actual black tie includes the stripe-y trousers, a formal shirt and a waist covering - either a cummerbund or a waistcoat (to disguise the fact that your shirt studs don't go all the way down).

However, given what passes for formal wear on the red carpets of the world ...

(I just skimmed a page of images of "James Bond tuxedo", and apparently Daniel Craig doesn't wear a waist covering, although I think all of the others do. But in any picture where he isn't "en deshabille", the jacket is buttoned.)

Indeed, I was wrong about Bond never wearing a cummerbund; but it’s not typical for him. The first time is in Diamonds are Forever, then again in License to Kill. (Roger Moore wore a semi-cummerbund in the form of a wide waistband in For Your Eyes Only and Octopussy.) Pierce Brosnan never wore one, but something more formal (if unusual for Bond with black tie): a waistcoat. Only Daniel Craig went with a cummerbund in the majority of his films (Quantum of Solace, Skyfall, and Spectre). And no dinner suit at all for Bond in You Only Live Twice and Live and Let Die.

• Like 1

This is a cruise line, not a film set.

May/ June and July, the restaurant was a sea of black tie and correspondingly dressed companions.

I couldn't care less if stripes,silk lapels, patent shoes, cummerbunds, winged collars and hand tied bow ties are in evidence or not.

I am just delighted to be in the company of folk who want to enjoy a formal night on a Cunard ship and who try and follow the advised dress code as best they can. Indeed, follow any advised dress codes. Full Stop.

So for those who pine for evening dress as in the Gilded Age, bear in mind, without all the passengers, ninety percent of whom follow any advisories, there would be no Cunard ship to cruise on.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, maggielou362 said:

Someone on here will correct me as required, but what I recall (from when such things were taught) the general British/Anglo conventions were:

• White Tie (tails etc, VERY formal)
  • Black Tie (dinner suit, black (bow)tie. A.k.a. "Tuxedo" in USA),
  • Morning Dress (wear it to the Royal Enclosure at the Races?)
  • Cocktail Dress (dressier than Lounge, little more flamboyant/less restricted than Black Tie)
  • Lounge Suit (probably the equivalent of business suit in Aust and USA).

These dress codes used to appear on formal invitations.

In my opinion it's very prescriptive, somewhat dated, elitist and not as relevant, but everybody, including the ladies, knew what it meant and complying ensured that you would not be embarrassed.

So as I see it as a new Cruisecritic Cunard disciple, for Gala Evenings: of course, wear White or Black Tie if you wish, you will look and feel spectacular. If you love the tradition of dress codes, then stride out in your trousers with satin stripes, your winged collar, your satin lapels, cufflinks and bow tie you tied earlier. BEAUTIFUL.

But if someone wants/needs to wear trousers without a satin stripe, or an ordinary collar rather than winged one, a lounge suit with or without a tie, (even a suit that is pale coloured 😮😉 ) or trousers and open-necked business shirt ("button-down" in USA?) then surely that complies with Cunard's dress code? It would certainly not bother me if people wore such attire in the evenings, including Gala ones. I just want everyone to feel socially comfortable on their holiday. 

First, I should say (as many others on this forum have also said) that it doesn't diminish my enjoyment of the evening if a few individuals aren't "up to code". I think it really would bother me if a large proportion of people disregarded the dress code - it would change the overall atmosphere. But that's not the case (yet?)

A few comments, though:

Certainly the idea of black tie is dated, but I would dispute that it's inherently elitist ... not if you can get a Marks and Spencer tuxedo for £100. Or perhaps it's elitist, but in an acceptable way?

In modern, but still fully formal, dress, either winged or "standard" collars  are acceptable. Likewise either cummerbunds or waistcoats. With the appropriate tie!

The dress code for formal nights does specify a "dark" suit and a tie.

This is really always a discussion about men's wear. From my experience, the women on gala nights are virtually always appropriately dressed. And often spectacular :)

• Like 2