Vancouver Princess Boarding Time

We're doing an Alaska cruise this summer out of Alaska.

It's been many years since we have boarded in Vancouver.

It says on our Trip Summary that boarding time is 1 PM and the ship departs at 4 PM. That seems kind of tight to me. Any recent experiences? Is it likely that boarding won't begin until 1 PM?

TIA

My cruise leaves in April and also says the same. I'm assuming its just a standard thing for right now until the 2024 Cruise Port schedule is released. I think once that's been released they will have official/updated times. Either way, I definitely plan on arriving earlier.

• Thanks 1

Boarding time may be as you describe, but sailing time depends on the Tides.  The ship has no need to get to Seymour Narrows and then wait for the tide window to appear.  So sailing time will be what it is.  It has been a long time, but I think our actual sailing time was closer to 5 pm even tho the schedule said 4.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

We're doing an Alaska cruise this summer out of Alaska.

It's been many years since we have boarded in Vancouver.

It says on our Trip Summary that boarding time is 1 PM and the ship departs at 4 PM. That seems kind of tight to me. Any recent experiences? Is it likely that boarding won't begin until 1 PM?

TIA

I think many passengers confuse ‘check in’ time with boarding time. 

Vancouver/Canada Place is notorious for long lines as they funnel all cruise passengers no matter which ship into a security line before you are separated into your individual cruise line waiting areas, sometimes you are mixed in one large area of chairs.

Depending on the number of ships in port that day, it can be quite hectic with long lines. 

If you have luggage to drop off you usually do that first on the lower parking level. Then you need to go to the upper level to check in by cruise line.

I boarded the Crown and Sapphire last summer from Canada Place. You will normally check in to receive your Medallion or finalize documents check in up stairs by cruise line in the upper conference rooms. Then you head downstairs for security screening, then US customs if your next port is a US port, then waiting area to be called to board.

I believe I arrived at Canada Place around 10:30 am and as Elite, was invited to board the ship around 11:30. YMMV.

• Thanks 1

Vancouver is one of those ports where you want to let everyone go ahead of you.  The Canada Place is a disaster for cruise ship embarkation, especially if there's more than one ship in port.  Up, down, and back up again.  Entrance is Concourse Level.  Check-in is Exhibition Level.  Security is Concourse Level.  Immigration and boarding is Exhibition Level.  If you arrive too early, you will have to drop off your luggage in the parking garage and come back up.  You probably walk a mile from drop off to embarkation. 

Check-in was open at 10:00 am for a 4:00 pm published departure in June 2023.  No idea what boarding time was.  We dropped off our luggage at 9:30 am, saw the lines, and left to walk around downtown and have lunch.  We returned at 1:30 pm and we went straight through with minimal lines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, wallyj said:

Vancouver/Canada Place is notorious for long lines as they funnel all cruise passengers no matter which ship into a security line before you are separated into your individual cruise line waiting areas, sometimes you are mixed in one large area of chairs.

Depending on the number of ships in port that day, it can be quite hectic with long lines. 

I am arriving in Vancouver from a Pacific crossing and remaining for the next cruise for a B2B to Alaska.

The port before Vancouver is Victoria.

There are 3 ships scheduled in at Vancouver.

What sort of procedure might I expect on that turnaround day regarding timings for immigration / security etc ?

If there is going to be a mandatory and longish time ashore then we can fill in that time OK.

But if it was a relatively  short time we would like to re-board ASAP as we have to sort out our new cabin anyway.

16 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

I am arriving in Vancouver from a Pacific crossing and remaining for the next cruise for a B2B to Alaska.

The port before Vancouver is Victoria.

There are 3 ships scheduled in at Vancouver.

What sort of procedure might I expect on that turnaround day regarding timings for immigration / security etc ?

If there is going to be a mandatory and longish time ashore then we can fill in that time OK.

But if it was a relatively  short time we would like to re-board ASAP as we have to sort out our new cabin anyway.

Normally you would gather in Crooners around 1000 and an officer leads the parade ashore, out thru Canadian customs, into US immigration, and back onto the ship.  It usually takes 30-45 minutes.  

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

Normally you would gather in Crooners around 1000 and an officer leads the parade ashore, out thru Canadian customs, into US immigration, and back onto the ship.  It usually takes 30-45 minutes.  

That would work perfectly if it's still the case.

Thanks.