Cruiser Formerly Known As Cheapo Dad's Trip Report on Odyssey of the Seas Sailing to A Minus B Plus C Plus H Islands

19 hours ago, perfect match said:

I love Bohemian Catsody! I think it’s my favorite of all of the videos I’ve seen in any of your reviews!😹😹😹😹

Haha, music preference is even more subjective than food.  We all like songs for various reasons.

This woman has made a career on YouTube in making parody videos. She has regular parody videos out.  Here's another version of the same Queen song:

• Haha 2

Day 7: Labadee

Labdee is our 3rd and final port.  Quick background in case people are not familiar with this stop – this is an RCCL private port.  Some people want to call it a private island but then there will be people higher than me on the anal scale on CC that will correct you within 3 minutes – "but it’s a peninsula, not an island..."  

Yeah, yeah, whatever.  Go soak your head.  The entire Labadee area might be a peninsula but it’s part of Haiti, which is an island.  Just like if you are a pimple on the butt of the dog, you are still part of the dog.

Side note - y'all didn’t think it s possible to have an anal score of 9.3+ or higher, did you? 🤪

Anyway, call Laabdee whatever, it’s a port that is exclusive for RCCL ships.  And yes, that includes RCI and Celebrity cruise ships.

The lunch on the island is included as part of the cruise fare – similar to if you are eating at Windjammer back on the ship.  If you have a drinks package, that works at the port as well.

• Like 3

It’s our 3rd time visiting Labadee so it’s nothing new to us.  This was why we selected today to do the iFly experience as we had excursions at Curacao and Aruba so Laabdee was the only other time we could do the complimentary fly without paying extra

But that’s all later.  First thing first – y’all know the routine by now. Obligatory morning photo of 270 at 7:30

image.thumb.jpeg.954056f86a2a19664a12b2a203b073aa.jpeg

image.thumb.png.d5c1ce9a6a80b1f7042015d2c82231da.png

image.thumb.jpeg.91d5508f2319d365dc86c85c7201b368.jpeg

My breakfast this morning with coffee and a view of Labadee through the glass window

image.thumb.png.d3e7241ace7b3ea42f7ef62b0a397d5e.png

• Like 2

Outside of the 270 area, they have folks that can help you with any Internet-related issues.  That’s also the only place on the ship I saw a USB cable for passengers to use.  Leave a comment below if you see other places on the ship that have a USB cable. Yes, it works as I tried to plug it into my phone and it charges.

image.thumb.jpeg.23f7a142f820810b0adbf8f54528323a.jpeg

So if somehow you are out walking about the ship and you are down to below 10% on your cell phone and you are too far away from your cabin to recharge, come here for an emergency charge

image.thumb.jpeg.2809c5470f3a897697411512e97615c5.jpeg

Same Giovanni where we ate yesterday

image.thumb.jpeg.2c68fec2c4a60b80c2f68930443a9d1d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.64d6d245eb7e519eaf776fdf25c915e4.jpeg

• Like 4

Oh, the other day I tried to explain the double set of doors between the inside of the ship to the outside.  Not sure if I made sense but this picture explains it better. 

image.thumb.jpeg.798ce488030cd3062e11072021f06e7f.jpeg

As the Odyssey is officially docked at Labadee at 7 AM, which is earlier than some other RCI ships docked at Labadee, people started getting off the ship early.

Looking down at the pier, you see people already off the ship at 7:55

image.thumb.jpeg.b1632aed6e7ca25cce822886f1b86f37.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2eca4fe25748cebb8bc5118316c39768.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.60abe9ef206961688e91df8a4e200490.jpeg

image.thumb.png.95fbf36bf81c20411fa128c0f3f10a53.png

• Like 2

I was so busy laughing at Bohemian Catsody yesterday that I forgot to comment on the 270 Experience. Seeing it was high on my list of things I wanted to do on Odyssey. I do not remember how or why we didn’t go but we never did get there! 😱 I think I need to book another cruise on Odyssey to remedy that omission!  😂

• Like 2

View of our balcony

image.thumb.png.f5142d3af2d2b799d121d3a1b03b0471.png

OK. Enough walking around.  Time to go back to the cabin at 8 AM and wake up the fam.

image.thumb.jpeg.d6ae1ed86423b80387f671256b6fc5af.jpeg

Instead of going to Windjammer, we headed to the iFly area before the 9 AM appointment time as the boys wanted to partake in the iFly experience.  No, neither my wife nor I even thought about doing it. I would pull some muscle within 10 seconds that I didn't know I possessed...

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, perfect match said:

I was so busy laughing at Bohemian Catsody yesterday that I forgot to comment on the 270 Experience. Seeing it was high on my list of things I wanted to do on Odyssey. I do not remember how or why we didn’t go but we never did get there! 😱 I think I need to book another cruise on Odyssey to remedy that omission!  😂

There are so many events on the daily compass that you can easily miss an event.  I heard about this event pre-cruise so I had it marked as something I wanted to see

• Like 2

So at check-in for the iFly, they ask various medical questions like if you had surgery before as well as weighting each person since they need to know how much force they need for the air to blow out.

The next group after us came in later and when the workers found out one of the guys had surgery, they tried to persuade him not to do the iFly thing by saying that the force to lift him up in the air was like folding a playing card and it’s a lot of force to bear on any surgical areas that might cause some discomfort.

Thus if you are interested in the iFly but have some medical issues from the past, it’s best to go to the iFly area on day 1 to talk to the staff about your medical condition before signing up.  I assume if you cancel at your appointment time due to a medical reason, they won’t charge you for a “no show” fee.  I think they charge you around $20 if you book an appointment but don’t show up but if they convinced you not to participate due to your health issues, I would hope they don’t charge you for it.

image.thumb.jpeg.742751c13e1021d0e44b286f139efde2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.265b1c76d7cba56aad96eb193ba63a3d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9e433ff21e75b91e0691c43948ff822b.jpeg

• Like 5

OK, so after clearing the medical questioning and being weighed, they find the blue uniform that fits your height and you put that on and sit in the waiting room for your event’s start time.

They have to weigh each person to know how much air to pump through to keep you up in the air

image.thumb.jpeg.7380f9dc683c63841e723ddc5e85c817.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ad1cac5a69d5dd97037ffe3ad180e065.jpeg   

image.thumb.jpeg.f81b222866a651ee777fab1c0759dc65.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2e543b801da86e29fd459d91488d951b.jpeg

• Like 5

Then your group sits and watches a video with the instructor and learns few basic safety measures.  As the wind tunnel is super noisy, there’s no way you can talk inside so it’s hand gesture such that if you feel you are not feeling great with that much wind on your body, you give the instructor the hand signal and he will immediately take you out of there so you don’t suffer needlessly.

After the video, time to come back and find a helmet that fits

image.thumb.png.186aff4a9a4183b5225373de0510e9fb.png

Then you sit and wait for the group ahead of you to be done

image.thumb.jpeg.89b9d28853790c6f0c0c7a54df845751.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

While waiting for them to watch the video and waiting their turn, I went outside and took some pictures of the ship and Labadee

Guys cleaning the deck

image.thumb.jpeg.dc393ede9bace29e60aaba10df130cbd.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.94a987479225405320169659fe2f7530.jpeg

I always get nervous whenever I put the phone over the edge to take pictures.  The hand/arm gets tingly as one slip of the hand will go my expensive phone and all the pictures I took of the entire vacation...

image.thumb.jpeg.aca1cfcd2f953007e8c4733988a52d78.jpeg

• Like 5

After waiting for a few minutes,  it’s time for their group to go up.  I think their group had 6 people in total.  Not sure if that’s the maximum size per time slot or not.

The group enters from the tube area from one end and the non-participating family enters it from the outside on the other end as the instructor will come over and open the gate for family members to come out and take pictures/videos

image.thumb.jpeg.91c4783e012ab34edd87d173ffce1e20.jpeg

There’s one guy outside that controls the wind speed based on your weight and there’s always an instructor inside the tube with you to guide you and bend/twist your body as necessary to make sure you don’t fall flat on your face from 4 feet high (yeah, that would hurt)

image.thumb.jpeg.df75e161bd27922e995d3bac080b6eb7.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.99cb8466402ae7f82f31dec16b09d4ad.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, harryfat1 said:

Then you sit and wait for the group ahead of you to be done

image.thumb.jpeg.89b9d28853790c6f0c0c7a54df845751.jpeg

Older son does not look thrilled in this photo. 😊

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Older son does not look thrilled in this photo. 😊

That's because he couldn't see. You must remove your glasses to participate in the event. My younger one has contacts so it has no impact on him. The older one is blind without his glasses

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That makes sense. And good to know. Not...that I think I will be trying it. 😊 I would probably try it at IFly in Union City, before I would try it on ship. 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Coralc said:

That makes sense. And good to know. Not...that I think I will be trying it. 😊 I would probably try it at IFly in Union City, before I would try it on ship. 

I believe they also make you take off all jewelry so you won't have someone's wedding fall off during the fly and in the strong wind, that could be a dangerous projectile.

On the waterside on the Navigator in August, I had to remove my glasses/sunglasses before the ride so I wasn't seeing that well myself walking around the pool deck area

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

That's because he couldn't see. You must remove your glasses to participate in the event. My younger one has contacts so it has no impact on him. The older one is blind without his glasses

Good to know. We have 2 in our group with glasses/contacts. 

My Odyssey cruise is in 10 days, I think you might finish this review before I leave. 😉

Obviously teasing, I’ve loved everything about this review! It’s really helped to keep me excited, as the last few weeks pre-cruise dragged out!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mom*3 said:

Good to know. We have 2 in our group with glasses/contacts. 

My Odyssey cruise is in 10 days, I think you might finish this review before I leave. 😉

Obviously teasing, I’ve loved everything about this review! It’s really helped to keep me excited, as the last few weeks pre-cruise dragged out!

Contacts would be fine, but they won’t allow glasses.  You will take those off after watching the training video and the safety briefing as you are putting on the helmet.

Getting close to wrapping this up.  After the iFly, the last 2 big items are beach day at Labadee and the 70’s party. 

I don’t recall we did anything special on the last day so days 8 and 9 should be “fast” – well, my version of fast.  That’s like telling the snail to shift to the 5th gear…

Have a great cruise if we don’t speak before you depart

• Like 3