Best Tours guides in Nice (Villefranche)

ktbmhb1

Sorry I couldn't find this on my own but thought it might actually be quicker if I just asked the question to all you experts out there.  We are sailing RCCL, says Nice (Villefranche) and we tender into port.  

We are looking for something for 5 adults to see Eze, Promeade des Anglars and just enjoy Nice. We do not want to go to the perfume factory! Every tour wants to take us there.  

Can anyone give me a starting point to find an excursion.  We are not in port long.

Thank you for your help.

I assume you are looking for a private tour for your group. The perfume factory is located next to the parking lot by the entrance to Eze.  If you are on a private tour, you simply say that you do not want to go there. Period.  

I would suggest going to Nice first because the Flower Market is open only until noon-1 pm.  Then all the stalls are taken down.  From there go on to Eze and, if interested, go on to Monaco only a short distance away before returning to Villefranche.  You might be able to do just a drive around Montecarlo even if you are on a short port day.  Especially if you skip the perfume factory.

I can't recommend a guide because we always stay there and rent a car. There are a number of recommendations on this forum and on Trip Advisor.  I would advice contacting the companies directly rather than dealing through a consolidator like Viator.  In that way you can express your preferences directly to them on where to go and what to see.

1 hour ago, marazul said:

I assume you are looking for a private tour for your group. The perfume factory is located next to the parking lot by the entrance to Eze.  If you are on a private tour, you simply say that you do not want to go there. Period.  

I would suggest going to Nice first because the Flower Market is open only until noon-1 pm.  Then all the stalls are taken down.  From there go on to Eze and, if interested, go on to Monaco only a short distance away before returning to Villefranche.  You might be able to do just a drive around Montecarlo even if you are on a short port day.  Especially if you skip the perfume factory.

I can't recommend a guide because we always stay there and rent a car. There are a number of recommendations on this forum and on Trip Advisor.  I would advice contacting the companies directly rather than dealing through a consolidator like Viator.  In that way you can express your preferences directly to them on where to go and what to see.

Thank you and yes we are looking for a private tour for 5! 

I'll check Trip Advisor but if anyone knows of a private tour group you've used that would be great.  

We are only in Port about 8 hrs but of course would prefer to get back on ship earlier.

There are 2 ships in port with us on a Friday!

4 minutes ago, ktbmhb1 said:

Thank you and yes we are looking for a private tour for 5! 

I'll check Trip Advisor but if anyone knows of a private tour group you've used that would be great.  

We are only in Port about 8 hrs but of course would prefer to get back on ship earlier.

There are 2 ships in port with us on a Friday!

You are welcome. 

You can accomplish all my suggestions including the Montecarlo drive-by in 6 or 6.5 hours. If you end up spending more time in Nice or Eze, simply skip Monaco.  That can be a last minute decision. 

On 1/13/2024 at 12:29 PM, marazul said:

You are welcome. 

You can accomplish all my suggestions including the Montecarlo drive-by in 6 or 6.5 hours. If you end up spending more time in Nice or Eze, simply skip Monaco.  That can be a last minute decision. 

I can not find a tour that suits our needs. I've been on Trip Advisor but they keep taking me to Viator. I was even on a chat with Viator! I think the issue is the timing.  Most tours start at 9am but we don't even get there til 10am and we have to tender in. The afternoon tours start at 2 which doesn't work either since we leave at 6pm. 

I've found something on Shore Excursions website but they want $310 pp which seemed high to me. So, I'm still looking.  

Any other ideas would be appreicated.

Thanks

@ktbmhb1

Trip Advisor owns Viator.  That's why.

We haven't used any company for excursions in the Riviera because we used to live there.  Every time we go we rent a car or go places with friends.  However, we have used Friend in France for airport and port transfers and I know they also offer tours.  They have been excellent and responsive in the past and I trust that they maintain the quality in their tours.

https://www.friend-in-france.com/private-tours

Their website shows a "make your own tour" option for 100 euros/hour for 4-7 pax with a minimum of three hours.  A six hour tour would be 600 euros for the tour, not per person.  Why don't you get in touch with them and tell them what you would like to do and get a quote.  You would start whenever you choose and go wherever you want to go.

Good luck and bon voyage.

14 hours ago, marazul said:

@ktbmhb1

We haven't used any company for excursions in the Riviera because we used to live there.  Every time we go we rent a car or go places with friends.  However, we have used Friend in France for airport and port transfers and I know they also offer tours.  They have been excellent and responsive in the past and I trust that they maintain the quality in their tours.

Their website shows a "make your own tour" option for 100 euros/hour for 4-7 pax with a minimum of three hours.  A six hour tour would be 600 euros for the tour, not per person.  Why don't you get in touch with them and tell them what you would like to do and get a quote.  You would start whenever you choose and go wherever you want to go.

Wonderful suggestion and I will contact them today. Thank you for your help. Fingers crossed. 

On 1/17/2024 at 6:09 PM, marazul said:

@ktbmhb1

Thank you for your suggestion.  We have been in contact with this company and are using them while in the Nice area.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We've been to the South of France, however, will have family with us on our upcoming cruise that haven't.  We will tender into Villefranche and will hire transport for the day.  We'll spend 2 hours in Monte Carlo and then 3 hours in Eze.  Then I'm trying to plan our "Nice" portion of our day.  

I'm considering doing just a driving tour with a few stops for photo-ops.  Would like to go down the Promenade des Anglaise-along the sea, turn at Le Negresco, Photo Stop at Cathédrale Saint-Nicolas de Nice (Russian Dome), then what would be a few highlights to drive by?  (I realize this cuts out the pedestrian portion of the Old City.)  

I think I'm going to copy and also paste this as a main question.  

17 minutes ago, Travel To Be Free said:

We've been to the South of France, however, will have family with us on our upcoming cruise that haven't.  We will tender into Villefranche and will hire transport for the day.  We'll spend 2 hours in Monte Carlo and then 3 hours in Eze.  Then I'm trying to plan our "Nice" portion of our day.  

I'm considering doing just a driving tour with a few stops for photo-ops.  Would like to go down the Promenade des Anglaise-along the sea, turn at Le Negresco, Photo Stop at Cathédrale Saint-Nicolas de Nice (Russian Dome), then what would be a few highlights to drive by?  (I realize this cuts out the pedestrian portion of the Old City.)  

I think I'm going to copy and also paste this as a main question.  

You do not need three hours in Eze.  One hour is sufficient unless you plan to stay for lunch at La Chëvre d'Or. 😉  That would give you plenty of time to walk in Old Nice.  That is a must if you want your family to see the most iconic photo-ops in Nice. 

As for Nice, before arriving at the Promenade des Anglais, you drive around the very scenic old port. It is also possible to drive up to the Chäteau, the promontory between the port and old Nice for eyepopping views of the Riviera.  You could also go up to Cimiez to the Matisse Museum and the Roman Arena; drive alongside the Paillon to see the Tête Carrëe (Square Head - headquarters of the Public Libraries) and other buildings such as the Theater, etc.