Maputo Shore ex

Lonedaddy

I have a cruise booked for December 2024 that stops in Maputo 7am-5pm.  Most of the ships excursions don't seem interesting just seeing the sites of the city basically.  What is there to do there?  I saw a couple of tours that go to Inhaca/portuguese Island and some to the Maputo special reserve/national park to the south of Maputo.  However they are private tours.  Are there any small group type tours to these places?  What have people done?  Or should we just make it a sea day?

2 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

I have a cruise booked for December 2024 that stops in Maputo 7am-5pm.  Most of the ships excursions don't seem interesting just seeing the sites of the city basically.  What is there to do there?  I saw a couple of tours that go to Inhaca/portuguese Island and some to the Maputo special reserve/national park to the south of Maputo.  However they are private tours.  Are there any small group type tours to these places?  What have people done?  Or should we just make it a sea day?

Personally I didn't really enjoy Maputo when I was there in Feb 2023. It was really hot and humid and the ship's tour was not that interesting. The market had great crafts but the vendors were very pushy. The train station was interesting. The tours you mention I don't know anything about. I have another cruise planned that stops there in Feb 2025 and as of now am planning to stay on the ship unless I find a private tour that really jumps out at me.

52 minutes ago, Jamietravelstheworld said:

Personally I didn't really enjoy Maputo when I was there in Feb 2023. It was really hot and humid and the ship's tour was not that interesting. The market had great crafts but the vendors were very pushy. The train station was interesting. The tours you mention I don't know anything about. I have another cruise planned that stops there in Feb 2025 and as of now am planning to stay on the ship unless I find a private tour that really jumps out at me.

thanks - surprised regent picked this port doesn't have much to offer.

I have not been to Maputo, but we are scheduled to dock there in May. Below are the notes I have put together for our day in port. Keep in mind we are big walkers, usually covering 6-12 miles per day on foot, we add in taxis to cover larger/more commercial distances. 

Docked: varies, but can walk to town. Free shuttle from pier to city center (Feima Market).

Temps: 82/63

Currency: Mozambique Metical, but USD and Euros accepted.

Tipping: 10% restaurants, small amount to taxi, $5-$10 per day for guide

Note: bring whatsinport map along, pick pocketing, keep safety in mind

Tour ideas: DIY

**Take myself on a walking tour of highlights, Fort, Maputo Central Market & FEIMA Market, 2M beer, Iron House, Botanical Garden, train station.

*Maputo Natural History Museum

Polana Serena Hotel, day pass, great lunch – maybe go for drink?

Café’ Continental for custard tart

Stroll along Avenida Julius Nyerere – boutiques, restaurants, vendors. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1