Clamshell from Amazon vs renting

We will be going on a 28 day cruise in April which has a lot of stops at ports with beaches.

Half Moon Cay, for example, charges $50 to rent one.

Just ordered a beach clamshell for $36 (plus tax) that will be delivered to an Amazon locker near the port (Fort Lauderdale)…..which we can then carry on board.

FYI…great way to save  $$…and have a beach clamshell to keep when all is done (our disembarkation is our hometown).

Reminds me of about 20 years ago I was incensed when the Honolulu resort I was staying at wanted to charge us $25 per beach lounger per day. Walked down the strip to an ABC store and purchased two sand chairs for $25 each. Used them for all 10 days at that resort and another. Last day saw cute family at beach w just towels and asked if they’d like them. They were happy to take them. 

• Like 4

Definitely an option for some. We would have done this when we drove but now that we fly I'm not sure it's feasible (although I will be researching the issue, just in case).

• 3 weeks later...

Great idea.  Even if you leave it behind, you've saved $14 ... with very little effort.   

Similarly, you can bring your own floating mats and save.  I've had the same spring-edged mat since my kids were little.  

This concept is useful in other travel too: 

- We flew to Vegas, rented an SUV and spent a month driving among the western national parks (best vacation ever!).  On our first day we stopped at Walmart and bought an inexpensive cooler, used it for a month, then abandoned it at our last hotel.  Having access to cold drinks and sandwich fixings saved us so much money. 

- When my brother and his Navy buddies stopped in Hawaii for a month, they each bought a cheap bicycle from the commissary.  They rode around /didn't pay for transportation for that month, then they abandoned the bikes near the pier with notes that they were free for the next sailors who wanted them.   

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 1/13/2024 at 7:14 PM, Gunther1 said:

Just ordered a beach clamshell for $36 (plus tax) that will be delivered to an Amazon locker near the port (Fort Lauderdale)…..which we can then carry on board.

Sister and I have discussed that Amazon locker idea, too.  We'll be traveling with our hubbies in December, and don't want to mess with a lot of stuff if we fly.