Layover Time In Munich

Mike11

My wife and I are flying home after a couple extra days in Venice following the May transatlantic on the Golden Princess. We are using Princess air, and overall are happy with the flight arrangements and price. We leave Venice on May 24th (Wednesday) at 1:05 on a Lufthansa flight (actual provider is Dolomiti Air - large turboprop) to Munich and then transfer to 3:10 pm Lufthansa transatlantic to Washington - Dulles. Our last leg being a regional jet from Washington to Albany, NY.

My only concern is that the layover between flights in Munich is only 45 minutes to switch planes. Both flights arrive and depart in the same section of the Munich terminal. The airline and my TA say this is doable - minimum legal time for Munich is 45 minutes and "it's Lufthansa".

Opinions on this? I am primarily interested in my wife and I making the transfer. Since we are headed home, the checked luggage can follow later if necessary. Thanks,

Mike

In fact, the online OAG that I have suggests that the minimum legal time is actually 30 minutes, so you have 15 minutes more than that. So it seems to me that you have a pretty good chance of making the onward flight.

But that is the only Lufthansa flight of the day from Munich to Dulles. The earlier LH-coded flight is actually a United flight. And the Lufthansa is the last flight of the day to Dulles. So if you want some extra peace of mind and some extra margin just in case things go wrong, you might want to think about taking the immediately preceding Venice-Munch flight which is LH4095 leaving Venice at 1110 and arriving Munch at 1230, which then gives you 2:40 before your 1510 departure to Dulles. If I needed to get home that day, this is what I'd do.

Thanks for the advice. I will look into the earlier flight. Much as I hate to spend several hours between flights if I can avoid it, better that than spending all night at the airport.

One more thing. Am I correct in assuming that transatlantic luggage rules would apply to the whole trip - 2 bags each @ <50 lbs - including the Venice to Munich portion? Thanks again,

Mike

One more thing. Am I correct in assuming that transatlantic luggage rules would apply to the whole trip - 2 bags each @ <50 lbs - including the Venice to Munich portion?
If the whole journey is written on one ticket, then that should be correct. The Lufthansa website does expressly not say so, but AFAIK the normal rule where you have connecting flights written on a single ticket and different baggage allowances for the two sectors is that the higher baggage allowance applies to the entire journey.

Archived