Road to Hana Private Tour

trivia addict

I am looking for a private tour for a Road To Hāna excursion. Most tours that I am seeing mention pickup from hotels, but I don’t see any that pickup from the cruise ship.

Do any of the excursion companies pick up from the ship?

For those who have done a private excursion, how did you meet your tour?

1 hour ago, trivia addict said:

Do any of the excursion companies pick up from the ship?

They generally do-- they just list the hotels since the majority of visitors to Maui are staying on land and not visiting by ship. I would call them when booking but it shouldn't be an issue at all. Kahului port is closer to the beginning of the Hana Road than most of the hotels they are mentioning. 

Honestly I prefer to doing the Hana Road ourselves and not getting into a minivan. There are some fantastic guide apps that narrate the whole road without the need for a guide. Allows you to have control of your day and will cost significantly less. Food for thought. 

• Like 2

Thank you Princeton…. You always have great information.

We originally thought of doing it ourselves but the thought of narrow roads and hairpin turns was dissuading me. We have driven many roads on two continents like that and I just thought I’d give my husband a rest!

But you have given me thought to reconsider my plan.

3 hours ago, trivia addict said:

Thank you Princeton…. You always have great information.

We originally thought of doing it ourselves but the thought of narrow roads and hairpin turns was dissuading me. We have driven many roads on two continents like that and I just thought I’d give my husband a rest!

But you have given me thought to reconsider my plan.

Stick with your plan and just find a guide to do the driving. Many people came back from renting cars and were sorry they did. They also said they didn’t get to see as much as they were very focused on the crazy road. 

• Like 1

We took an unforgettable private Road to Hana tour this past July with Unique Maui Tours spending the day with our incomparable guide, Wendy.  Our family of 4 were on the POA and wanted to see it all over the 2-day stop but wanted to avoid the big bus tours and crowds coming off the cruise that day.  We elected to do the Road o Hana by the backway including the hike through the Pipiwai Trail and bamboo forest, which is a beautiful trail, very doable for even the recreational/infrequent hiker located on the backside (South-East Side) of Haleakalā National Park, we saw the Oheo Gulch bridge (aka 7 Sacred Pools), and visited the Black Sand Beach. We had incredible views, more waterfalls than can count up close (even swimming in Pua’a Ka’a Rolling Pig Waterfalls on the way back having it all to ourselves), seeing the dry/wet side of the R2H, and had lunch at the Hana Food Trucks. 

Wendy shared photos of our day with us and followed up after our great day - i was impressed with her personalized service; it was like being picked up and shown around by an old friend you haven't seen in ages.  We will not soon forget her anecdotes, fun facts, cultural stories, songs (!) and the incredible memories of our first time in Maui.

Wendy picked us up at the port (at the Maui Mall (right between Whole Foods and Longs Pharmacy, about 5-10 min walk from the gangway, through the port exit, across the street).  Most Turo rentals, private tours will pick up there in the parking lot.  Very easy.

Unique Maui Tours has other formats to offer - custom adventures and sightseeing tour: West Maui, Haleakala, Upcountry as well, assuming you have a full day to do it.  Setting up the tour was seamless, they are responsive and provided information and options to tailor your time in Maui to have the best experience. I highly recommend UMT and Wendy (as you can tell) and when we come back, we'll definitely ask for her to see the volcano. 

Edited by Maverick!
  • Like 3