Magic is going to the Mediterranean

bzydad

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (March 21, 2006) -- For the first time, Disney Cruise Line is adding European flair to its itinerary offerings, repositioning the Disney Magic for the summer of 2007 to the Port of Barcelona in Spain and offering alternating 10-night and 11-night Mediterranean cruise vacations to Europe.

"Our guests have told us they would love to take a European vacation, but all of the planning and logistics can be daunting. These special sailings will offer a hassle-free way to experience the beauty and culture of Europe combined with the fun of a Disney cruise," said Disney Cruise Line President Tom McAlpin at an announcement event at Epcot at the Walt Disney World Resort this morning.

With eight European ports of call, which provide gateways to familiar cities such as Florence, Rome, Pisa and Cannes, these new Mediterranean itineraries present the family vacation of a lifetime.

"The flexibility and mobility of Disney Cruise Line allow us to offer guests a new way to explore other parts of the world while enjoying a world-class cruise experience," said Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Jay Rasulo. "Disney Cruise Line is a model for the way we are expanding our family vacation business worldwide by offering new experiences the whole family can enjoy."

The four 11-night itineraries depart on Saturdays: May 26, June 16, July 7 and July 28; while the four 10-night itineraries depart on Wednesdays: June 6, June 27, July 18 and Aug. 8. Both itineraries will depart from Barcelona for the summer.

Special 2007 Mediterranean Cruises to Europe

10-Night Itinerary

Wednesday Barcelona, Spain (embarkation)

Thursday At Sea

Friday Palermo, Sicily

Saturday Naples, Italy (Pompeii)

Sunday Olbia, Sardinia

Monday Civitavecchia, Italy (Rome)

Tuesday La Spezia, Italy (Florence & Pisa)

Wednesday Marseille, France

Thursday Villefranche, France

Friday At Sea

Saturday Barcelona, Spain (debarkation)

11-Night Itinerary

Saturday Barcelona, Spain (embarkation)

Sunday At Sea

Monday Palermo, Sicily

Tuesday Naples, Italy (Pompeii)

Wednesday Olbia, Sardinia

Thursday Civitavecchia, Italy (Rome)

Friday At Sea

Saturday La Spezia, Italy (Florence & Pisa)

Sunday Marseille, France

Monday Villefranche, France

Tuesday At Sea

Wednesday Barcelona, Spain (debarkation)

In addition to the Mediterranean cruises, two 14-night trans-Atlantic sailings bookend the 10- and 11-night adventures with the eastbound itinerary departing from Port Canaveral, Fla., May 12, and the westbound starting from the Port of Barcelona, Aug. 18.

Bookings for these special and very limited itineraries are scheduled to open on April 4, giving interested guests time to plan with their families and friends. Starting rates for the Mediterranean 10- and 11-night itineraries range from $2,399 to $3,499 and are based on double occupancy.

Prices aren't that bad either. I'm kinda shocked. :eek:

Are you kidding? It's priced like an ultra luxury cruise. DCL is not in the same category as Regent & Silversea. These cruises also are all inclusive.

The port times are even shorter then most Med. cruises.

Celebrity includes one more day and is cheaper, CCL's brand new Liberty is almost half and includes two more days with longer port times.

Are you kidding? It's priced like an ultra luxury cruise. DCL is not in the same category as Regent & Silversea. These cruises also are all inclusive.

The port times are even shorter then most Med. cruises.

Celebrity includes one more day and is cheaper, CCL's brand new Liberty is almost half and includes two more days with longer port times.

I just looked again, it's $2,699 for outside per person for a 14 day cruise. I've paid that for a 7 day cruise. So no, I don't think it's that bad.

Who ever said Disney was cheap? Now, would I go on the Magic over another cruiseline like RCCL or Celebrity...probably not.

No one ever said it was cheap, but what I said was it's expensive. It's a fact, more expensive then the others.

Priced more in a category of Ultra Luxury liners.

I've cruised it many times, even was on the Magic's maiden voyage. But, a facts a fact. People will pay it too.

These are per person rates:

Royal Suite with Verandah Cat 1 $6,199 - $6,699

Two-Bedroom Suite with Verandah Cat 2 $5,899 - $6,399

One-Bedroom Suite with Verandah Cat 3 $5,199 - $5,699

Deluxe Family Stateroom with Verandah Cat 4 $4,599 - $5,099

Deluxe Stateroom with Verandah Cat 5 $4,199 - $4,699 Cat 6 $3,999 - $4,599

Deluxe Stateroom with Navigator's Verandah Cat 7 $3,699 - $4,499

Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom Cat 8 $3,299 - $3,999 Cat 9 $2,899 - $3,899

Deluxe Inside Stateroom Cat 10 $2,599 - $3,599

Standard Inside Stateroom Cat 11 $2,399 - $3,499 Cat 12 $2,399 - $3,399

No one ever said it was cheap, but what I said was it's expensive. It's a fact, more expensive then the others.

Priced more in a category of Ultra Luxury liners.

I've cruised it many times, even was on the Magic's maiden voyage. But, a facts a fact. People will pay it too.

Still, I'll bet that all of the cruises sell-out.

The European Disney fans are going to snatch them up. The Euro is still strong against the Dollar and there are a lot of Europeans who have wanted to take a Disney cruise but didn't want to fly to Florida to do it.

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (March 21, 2006) -- For the first time, Disney Cruise Line is adding European flair to its itinerary offerings, repositioning the Disney Magic for the summer of 2007 to the Port of Barcelona in Spain and offering alternating 10-night and 11-night Mediterranean cruise vacations to Europe.

Bookings for these special and very limited itineraries are scheduled to open on April 4, giving interested guests time to plan with their families and friends. Starting rates for the Mediterranean 10- and 11-night itineraries range from $2,399 to $3,499 and are based on double occupancy.

I'm surprised. It was looking like their strategy was to sail out of ports near the Disney parks. These cruises corresponds with DLP's anniversary but it's simply too far from Paris to the Mediterranean to combine parks and cruises.

I noticed that no where in the press release did they mention Disneyland Paris.

• 2 weeks later...

We booked ourselves on the June 27th 10 day cruise! I know folks think it's expensive but I want to travel to Europe with my son - and this is the best way I think - on a boat which is kid friendly - that he's familiar with! I am SOOOO EXCITED!

After posting elsewhere that I thought it was pricey, what did I do? Got caught up in the frenzy (at least on the DIS) and booked the May 26th 11-day! We really won't know how it compares pricewise to other cruiselines until they release their 2007 itineraries and prices.

I wonder how many people will cancel when they see how much more expensive it is to cruise DCL to the Med.

The frenzy of booking is over and there are plenty of cabins still left to book. Seems like only the cats 1-4 were scooped up quickly, as they always are.

I wonder how many people will cancel when they see how much more expensive it is to cruise DCL to the Med.

The frenzy of booking is over and there are plenty of cabins still left to book. Seems like only the cats 1-4 were scooped up quickly, as they always are.

It seems to me that many who were booking the cruise online or on the phone yesterday are the true Disney "diehards." They want the "Disney difference" and are willing to pay more to get it. I've never cruised with DCL, so I don't know if the little Disney extras are worth paying more for. So far I've resisted in the Caribbean, but was intrigued by the challenge of reserving the Mediterranean cruise at the lowest price offered - and I succeeded.

When RCI and Celebrity release their 2007 Alaska and Mediterranean itineraries in a few weeks, I may decide to save Disney cruising for the 3-day I have booked for the end of November, and choose to spend my cruising dollars elsewhere in the summer of 2007.

Archived