Closed Loop Cruise to Alaska &Hawaii with Medicare

Medicare Advantage plans cover insurance in the US.  What do you recommend for a 30 day trip with many sea days and ports stopping primarily in US ports.  There is a one day stop in Canada.

Emergency medical coverage is just one component of travel insurance.  A comprehensive travel insurance plan will also cover travel delay/interruption, trip cancellation, medical evac, baggage loss/damage, 24-hour assistance – and for qualifying trips “Cancel for Any Reason” coverage can be added to a comprehensive plan.  Whenever you’re traveling out of the country, we always recommend at least emergency medical coverage – because your domestic health insurance will likely not cover medical bills abroad (this includes Medicare).  

• Like 1

On 1/20/2024 at 7:52 AM, kcamack said:

Medicare Advantage plans cover insurance in the US.  What do you recommend for a 30 day trip with many sea days and ports stopping primarily in US ports.  There is a one day stop in Canada.

Since they didn't answer your question, I'll share my experience.

I sailed out of Canada to Alaska. Like you, I have Medicare which works in the US. I risked the 1 day I was in Canada. I did not insure this trip. It was only 7 days though and I do have access to Medjet Assist and Chase Saphire Reserve if needed.

So, where is your risk?

The medical bill for the ship should you get treated in the infirmary. Will that be reimbursed by Medicare? I don't know.

Evacuation from the ship. That is free of charge. It's an international Safety of Life at Sea treaty and will be accomplished by a military Search & Rescue team.

So? What's your risk tolerance? It's a tough decision. Good luck and safe travels.

4 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Since they didn't answer your question, I'll share my experience.

I sailed out of Canada to Alaska. Like you, I have Medicare which works in the US. I risked the 1 day I was in Canada. I did not insure this trip. It was only 7 days though and I do have access to Medjet Assist and Chase Saphire Reserve if needed.

So, where is your risk?

The medical bill for the ship should you get treated in the infirmary. Will that be reimbursed by Medicare? I don't know.

Evacuation from the ship. That is free of charge. It's an international Safety of Life at Sea treaty and will be accomplished by a military Search & Rescue team.

So? What's your risk tolerance? It's a tough decision. Good luck and safe travels.

Thank you for your response.  Our Medicare plan covers us world-wide and I also use a Sapphire card and thinking about Medjet so I think I have my answer.  Will do some more investigation about ship evacuation.  Thank you!