Overnight in Seville?

We've been to Seville previously and just did a several hour visit which included an approximately 75 mile drive each way. 

This trip, we will be in port from early morning day one until 7:00pm day two. We were wondering if it made any sense to overnight in Seville to spend more time there.  Will be in Seville during Easter week and hear the festivals surrounding Semana Santa are worth seeing. 

Has anyone stayed overnight in Seville on a cruise stop and if so, what kind of transportation back and forth did you use?

1 hour ago, molemaui said:

We've been to Seville previously and just did a several hour visit which included an approximately 75 mile drive each way. 

This trip, we will be in port from early morning day one until 7:00pm day two. We were wondering if it made any sense to overnight in Seville to spend more time there.  Will be in Seville during Easter week and hear the festivals surrounding Semana Santa are worth seeing. 

Has anyone stayed overnight in Seville on a cruise stop and if so, what kind of transportation back and forth did you use?

Port of call Cadiz or Málaga?

I have googled. There are 13 daily trains (on weekdays) Cadiz - Sevilla (plus some long distance trains that have an expensive mimimum fare)

They take 1h40m and they cost 13,30 €

Sevilla station is quite well located within the city

Cadiz station is just in front of the port

If you decide to go by train I would buy tickets in advance.

You can read more about tickets in this post

What day or days exactly would you be in Seville?

Regarding Easter in Seville (from March 24 to 31, the rest is NOT Easter for the purposes of traditions) I suggest that you look for information about it to understand it and not be surprised.
They are parades and processions that have centuries of history with their meaning. They are celebrated in all Spanish cities but Seville may be the city where they have the most symbolism and presence.

It will be enough for you to search several pages of information (even Wikipedia can help) but know the meaning and context. Globalization means that some can be understood as offensive, or at least incorrect, in another context.

Regarding staying in Seville, keep in mind that it is VERY HIGH season, so book accommodation as soon as possible.

9 hours ago, alserrod said:

What day or days exactly would you be in Seville?

Regarding Easter in Seville (from March 24 to 31, the rest is NOT Easter for the purposes of traditions) I suggest that you look for information about it to understand it and not be surprised.
They are parades and processions that have centuries of history with their meaning. They are celebrated in all Spanish cities but Seville may be the city where they have the most symbolism and presence.

It will be enough for you to search several pages of information (even Wikipedia can help) but know the meaning and context. Globalization means that some can be understood as offensive, or at least incorrect, in another context.

Regarding staying in Seville, keep in mind that it is VERY HIGH season, so book accommodation as soon as possible.

First, thank you for all your information. Very helpful. 

Regarding Easter week in Seville, I've read quite a bit about the week long celebration "Semana Santa" and feel if we're in. the area, we shouldn't miss it. 

Yeah,

Semana Santa is "Holy Week" or "Easter". They are the days between March 24 and 31 (in 2024).
There are groups of people who get together to make parades and processions of religious significance (I have simplified it a lot) where different scenes from the Bible are present.

Tradition rules and on those days when bells cannot be rung, the processions are mainly with drums and bass drums, making peals and sounds that have been trained during the previous months.

Please, Google "Easter parades in Spain" and see what they are like because there are things regarding figures, icons, but especially the clothing of those carrying the drums and bass drums that are difficult to understand in another context. Since the figures and clothing have been the same for several centuries, they can be confused or not understood.

It is simply a suggestion. My recommendation is to take advantage of a stop in the area to see a special event that takes place on those days.
I asked what exact day (or days) would be the ones to stay in Seville because, there being processions every day, there are some days that are more special than others.