Grandeur of the Seas Be Wary 12/17-12/27

On 2/21/2024 at 7:31 PM, Jimbo said:

Next time she gets worked on it may look something like this:

I am still confused.....is the GOS set for dry dock? or demolishing?  

On 2/20/2024 at 11:14 PM, Engineroom Snipe said:

Thank goodness my wife has your kind eyes.

I need some attention and a make-over but she has not decided to put me in dry-dock yet!

😁

It's not drydock you should be worried about , It's the scrapyard to turn you in for the newer model !

Cheers

8 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

It's not drydock you should be worried about , It's the scrapyard to turn you in for the newer model !

Cheers

@LobsterStalker,

So,  I always follow the golden rule, be worth more alive than dead.

This reduces the temptation to scrap the barnacle encrusted hull until every penny of profit can be "squeezed" out of it (pun intended).

🤣

6 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

@LobsterStalker,

So,  I always follow the golden rule, be worth more alive than dead.

This reduces the temptation to scrap the barnacle encrusted hull until every penny of profit can be "squeezed" out of it (pun intended).

🤣

I made the mistake a few years back of telling my family how much I am worth Dead !

Now I tell them it's all gonna be left to the dog ... but I still sleep with 1 eye open

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LobsterStalker said:

I made the mistake a few years back of telling my family how much I am worth Dead !

Now I tell them it's all gonna be left to the dog ... but I still sleep with 1 eye open

"Et Tu Brute" (Julius Caesar, Shakespeare)

"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer". (Godfather Part II).

I am jealous. You get sleep?

🤣

We were on the Grandeur in May.  I agree with the OP.  In fact, in our survey I mentioned the same things about the condition of the ship.  In fact, I said it should be totally renovated, sold, or salvaged.  Like the OP stated, the crew members were great, especially in the dining room.  They were the BEST of all the cruises we’ve taken, despite not liking most of food in the MDR.

I haven’t been on the Grandeur but I’ve been on the Vision, the Rhapsody, the Brilliance and Enchantment of the Seas. All of them are old and small but the first 3 mentioned here were ok for their age. Now, the Enchantment of the Seas ( December 2023) doesn’t reflect the name of the ship. I traveled with my best friend and she was the one who tried to call Guest Services 4 times. No one ever answered the phone so she had to  go to GS  4 times 4 different days to report that our toilet was clogged. Somebody always came to fix it  and then the situation happened again. The 5th time was the last night after midnight. I was not going to use the bathroom like that so I got dressed and went to the closest bathroom in a public area which sometimes had some toilets clogged too.

I told my friend, I don’t want to book any of these small and old ships again. To do it, it has to be a very special itinerary but definitely not the Enchantment. We are booked on the Brilliance in July because it’s her birthday but my other RCI ships I think are a little newer and bigger. Time will tell.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2024 at 10:50 AM, lovesthebeach2 said:

We have cruises booked on Royal for this year and next year, and finally we booked a Celebrity….and have hesitated to jump ship but each time we get on the older ships it just chips away from our loyalty and I find I’m looking around at other upscale cruise lines more and more.

Will you share which lines you’ve moved on to other than Celebrity?

On 1/21/2024 at 8:07 PM, kruzerci said:

Agreed. But to be fair, they always do this on pre-inaugural and inaugural sailings due to the presence of media and travel partners. 

We have heard great things about Virgin. We are gonna try them. A little more expensive but adults only.

On 3/16/2024 at 2:55 PM, BigPapi21 said:

We have heard great things about Virgin. We are gonna try them. A little more expensive but adults only.

Is it really more expensive when you figure in no tipping, no gratuities added, free specialty restaurants dining, free wifi, free water and sparkling water and for $300 you get a $600 bar tab and $250 obc. Compare apples to apples when comparing prices.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2024 at 10:14 PM, wreckem2013 said:

It’s pretty clear that Vision and Radiance class ships are going to be retired in the next 5 years or so. I don’t think the Voyager class ships will be far behind. 

I don’t even sail Royal often but that makes no sense. There is no way Royal abandons the Tampa cruise market. 

1 hour ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

I don’t even sail Royal often but that makes no sense. There is no way Royal abandons the Tampa cruise market. 

I agree that five years is an eternity in the cruise business right now. Almost all of Royal's ships only require 34 feet of draft which Tampa can handle. Even Oasis Class and Icon Class are designed for existing port depths. They make the ships longer and wider but the drafts stay the same.

Are there any smaller bridge requirement out of Tampa?

Parking, dock lineage, and boarding capacity will more of an issue.

My question is, could Tampa possibly handle an Oasis class?

I have never cruised out of Tampa. If the port can handle a larger ship, rest assured, they will still be cruising from Tampa for decades.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I agree that five years is an eternity in the cruise business right now. Almost all of Royal's ships only require 34 feet of draft which Tampa can handle. Even Oasis Class and Icon Class are designed for existing port depths. They make the ships longer and wider but the drafts stay the same.

Are there any smaller bridge requirement out of Tampa?

Parking, dock lineage, and boarding capacity will more of an issue.

My question is, could Tampa possibly handle an Oasis class?

I have never cruised out of Tampa. If the port can handle a larger ship, rest assured, they will still be cruising from Tampa for decades.

Tampa has a Bridge height requirement due to the Sunshine Skyway. She can only handle 180-foot tall ships from the waterline. 

Also even if Mega ships could fit under the Skyway there isn't enough room in the channel to fit two ships of that size side by side and so it would have to be dredged. 

I live locally, But they have been debating raising the Skyway and or just building a new one to as fit bigger ships. Because the cruise industry brings around 700 million into the port which accounts for I believe about 25% of the port revenue. 

Edited by WhaleTailFlCruiser

2 minutes ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Tampa has a Bridge height requirement due to the Sunshine Skyway. She can only handle 180-foot tall ships from the waterline. 

@WhaleTailFlCruiser

Thank you. That could be an issue.

Hard to raise a bridge that is permanently built with no moving parts.

🤣

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

@WhaleTailFlCruiser

Thank you. That could be an issue.

Hard to raise a bridge that is permanently built with no moving parts.

🤣

It's one of the reasons why for Carnival only the Spirit and Fantasy Class sail from here and for Royal the Vision class I think it is called? And Radiance class. I know Celebrity just started sailing seasonally from here as well. Before the Pandemic MSC was going to have a ship here year round as well. 

80740563_10213112660405849_1695146789126

Edited by WhaleTailFlCruiser
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

It's one of the reasons why for Carnival only the Spirit and Fantasy Class sail from here and for Royal the Vision class I think it is called? And Radiance class. I know Celebrity just started sailing seasonally from here as well. Before the Pandemic MSC was going to have a ship here year round as well. 

Going to be a trend like European river boat cruises where they have to design a method of shortening the stacks and upper navigation towers to get past the pesky bridges.

Where there is desire to make a profit, there is a way.

We just might see Royal keep those older ships afloat if only not to lose market out of Tampa and similar height requirements (Baltimore and Charleston).

MANY cruisers can drive to those ports and Tampa is a lucrative retirement cruise port.

$$$$$$