Greenland

ChalkDust55

What is a must do? We are stopping in Qaqortoq  and Nanortalik Greenland from the Island Princess July 2024.  Anyone have experience or ideas?? 
Thanks!

Edited by ChalkDust55
Update details

These are easy ports. No need to book walking tours. Qaqortoq is bigger and a little hilly but easy to cover the whole place on foot if you are not mobility challenged. If budget allows, the excursion to the Hvalso church ruins was beautiful and unique. I loved that they just drop you off to wander around on your own. 

Nanortalik is a tiny town, the church has a bathroom open to the public, bring some cash for the donation box. The local people sell crafts and souvenirs like a flea market, but no pressure. Considering cruise ships are more than doubling their population for the day, I was happy to spend some money here. We did an iceberg tour early in the morning, absolutely stunning! I think it was $10 to tour the museum there, a collection of several buildings which gave a detailed history of local life and culture. That was definitely worth it. 

• Like 1

The Iceberg Tour in Qaqortoq is run by Greenland Sagalands and it sells out quickly.  You have to put on huge water survival suits that make you feel like the Michelin Man, then sit in a crowded (8-10 people) RIB for an approximately 60-70 minute run out into the harbor to cruise around icebergs.  At one point the person running the RIB will stop close to a berg and chip off some ice, which is put into plastic glasses and topped with vodka for an "iceberg toast".

The day I was there in August 2023 the morning was extremely foggy and during the cruise out to the icebergs, you couldn't see them until you were very close.  It makes for some stunning photos as the iceberg appears out of the fog.

I'm glad I did the iceberg tour, but I'm not sure I'd do it again.

The highlight of Greenland is the passage through Prince Christian Sound.  That is stupendous!

• Like 1

Will I need to exchange US dollars for local currency or may I use credit cards and tip in US $.

Spoke to a Princess agent.  She told me that all the excursions for my CB voyage were cancelled although showing sold out.  Thank you for your honest review @DCThunder.

15 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Will I need to exchange US dollars for local currency or may I use credit cards and tip in US $.

Spoke to a Princess agent.  She told me that all the excursions for my CB voyage were cancelled although showing sold out.  Thank you for your honest review @DCThunder.

There wasn't that much to buy in the Greenland ports.  I bought some coffee beans and a magnet and they took credit cards.  The vendors of local handicrafts took USD, IIRC.  I didn't buy anything from them, but I think their signs said they accepted USD. 

I did buy a bottle of gin "flavored with Arctic herbs" and distilled in Greenland in a grocery store and they took plastic.  I'm a sucker to go in grocery stores in foreign ports just to see how the locals live.  This one sold everything from propane fueled refrigerators to smokes and liquor.

Edited by DCThunder
  • Thanks 1

The best tours that we went on last year at those two ports were boat tours out to see the icebergs but they have limited boats and they are small so they sell out quickly , with the boats you didn’t have to wear the survival suits that the rib tour did. The boat even went right up to a huge iceberg and we were able to touch it, a special experience. Everywhere seemed to take credit cards and USD, Euros or Pound sterling. 

The trip to the ruined church was good but take a midge net for your head and mosquito repellent , our cruise line supplied the net, I am not sure if Princess supply.

Greenland is just stunning and sailing through Prince Christian Sound was great!

• Thanks 1