Premier Inn Locations/Transfer from Airport

rg123

First timers for London! We’ve been leaning toward the Premier Inns for a couple of nights based on recommendations on CC. Wow! There are a lot of locations, but it seems County Hall and Waterloo are mentioned the most as being in great spots and close to the metro. Also saw the London Victoria on Eccleston Square which looks to be in an ok area?

County Hall has Premier Plus rooms for our stay, but the Waterloo only has standards. (Victoria has both). Besides having a fridge, are the premier plus that much better?

Oh, and one other thing—-would we be able to get to these hotels fairly easily from Heathrow Airport using the metro/ tube/whatever? We’re a little timid, but would give it the ol’ college try.

Thanks for any thoughts. 

Premier Inns are generally good value. It's my first choice whenever we're travelling round the country. I've stayed at the County Hall hotel a couple of times ,as it was handy for getting to the Imperial War Museum where I was researching. It's fine, although both times I've had rooms that were inward facing. My PI of choice when visiting the capital as a more general tourist is the Euston hotel but thats mainly because it's literally over the road from the train station. I've not stayed in a hotel with the Plus rooms so can't comment on them. 

• Like 1

Waterloo / County Hall is great for direct trains to Southampton (from Waterloo station) or Dover (from Waterloo East station) - quick, cheap (by buying advance tickets from about 8 weeks out), and only a short walk from all hotels in that area, including those Premier Inns and Park Plaza and Marriott.

And great for numerous sights on foot plus Tube for more-distant sights.

But not convenient for public transport from Heathrow.

There are a number of options, I stand to be corrected by a Londoner but I reckon the best balance between cost & convenience is Piccadilly line tube from LHR to Barons Court tube station, easy cross--platform switch to a District line tube to Westminster tube station, then - depending on your hotel location, your energy levels & the weather - a walk or taxi across Westminster Bridge to your hotel.

LHR is the start of the line so no problem getting seats together and room for your luggage, Barons Court is an easy change, I don't know how crowded the District line will be.

Alternatively a Londoner may suggest the new Elizabeth line - again one switch of trains, several stations where you can make that switch and you need a Londoner to tell you which is easiest with luggage.

A pre-booked private transfer car from LHR to those hotels would cost in the order of £50 to £55 

Victoria is a little more convenient from LHR. Frequent, direct & cheap (but slow) National Express coaches from LHR to Victoria coach station, that same Barons Court change by tube, a private transfer should be just a few £ cheaper. Cheap direct Nat Express coaches to Southampton or Dover from that coach station, or direct train from Victoria train station to either (but the trains to Southampton follow a more circuitous route than trains from Waterloo - 2.5hrs vs 1.5 hrs).

Broader range of hotel prices.

But a little less convenient to sights on foot.

You won't find anywhere convenient to LHR + central London + Southampton or Dover by public transport - wherever you choose, one of those will be a little complicated.

https://content.tfl.gov.uk/standard-tube-map.pdf

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

https://www.londontoolkit.com/ .............but their private transfers are expensive. Well, someone's got to pay for that excellent website 😏

JB 🙂

I've stayed at the Park Plaza. Definitely up at least a couple of notches from Premier Inn. My partner used to stay there regularly for work (paid for by the employer)

On 1/23/2024 at 8:46 AM, John Bull said:

Waterloo / County Hall is great for direct trains to Southampton (from Waterloo station) or Dover (from Waterloo East station) - quick, cheap (by buying advance tickets from about 8 weeks out), and only a short walk from all hotels in that area, including those Premier Inns and Park Plaza and Marriott.

And great for numerous sights on foot plus Tube for more-distant sights.

But not convenient for public transport from Heathrow.

There are a number of options, I stand to be corrected by a Londoner but I reckon the best balance between cost & convenience is Piccadilly line tube from LHR to Barons Court tube station, easy cross--platform switch to a District line tube to Westminster tube station, then - depending on your hotel location, your energy levels & the weather - a walk or taxi across Westminster Bridge to your hotel.

LHR is the start of the line so no problem getting seats together and room for your luggage, Barons Court is an easy change, I don't know how crowded the District line will be.

Alternatively a Londoner may suggest the new Elizabeth line - again one switch of trains, several stations where you can make that switch and you need a Londoner to tell you which is easiest with luggage.

A pre-booked private transfer car from LHR to those hotels would cost in the order of £50 to £55 

Victoria is a little more convenient from LHR. Frequent, direct & cheap (but slow) National Express coaches from LHR to Victoria coach station, that same Barons Court change by tube, a private transfer should be just a few £ cheaper. Cheap direct Nat Express coaches to Southampton or Dover from that coach station, or direct train from Victoria train station to either (but the trains to Southampton follow a more circuitous route than trains from Waterloo - 2.5hrs vs 1.5 hrs).

Broader range of hotel prices.

But a little less convenient to sights on foot.

You won't find anywhere convenient to LHR + central London + Southampton or Dover by public transport - wherever you choose, one of those will be a little complicated.

https://content.tfl.gov.uk/standard-tube-map.pdf

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

https://www.londontoolkit.com/ .............but their private transfers are expensive. Well, someone's got to pay for that excellent website 😏

JB 🙂

Wow! Thank you for all this information, John. Not as simple as I had hoped. Thought the tube would be the way to go, but perhaps the train is best. 
Or will look into a car service that is not super pricey for 2. 
Once again, thank you for taking the time to write. I truly appreciate it.

Similar response to another post.

Premierinns are all very similar.  Plus rooms have fridge, coffee machine and faster wifi.  There are plenty in central London, none will be far from sights.

To get from Heathrow to central London take the Elizabeth line service to a station near your hotel (Tottenham Court Road is central for Westminster/Waterloo) then jump in a black cab which will take you to the front door of the hotel.  Easier than changing trains and lines on the Underground and then still being left with a walk, this can be an issue at larger tube stations which have multiple exits.

A black London taxi to central London is £80+.

• Thanks 1