Train Anchorage to Seward - Booking P2P

DavisFLSt8

I apologize if this is repetitive. I tried to search but did not find clear answer. We are booking P2P. For Silversea train charter to Seward, where does the train depart? I have the impression if not D2D, would have to take transportation back to airport terminal to catch the Silversea train. Is this accurate?

There is a train station near downtown Anchorage.

(I guess I should delete this as you are asking about the Silversea train. There is a regular train that leaves from downtown).

Edited by pavementends

Typically a ship will charter a train unique to the cruise. This train uses different stations on both ends compared to what the Alaskan Railroad offers direct.

Despite that, I tend to book direct, when the circumstances are right.  

A charter train will use a station near the airport in Anchorage and end very close to the ship in Seward. 

The public train anyone can book use a downtown station in Anchorage and Seward which is a 15 minute walk to the ship.  

I recommend GoldStar service.  I’ve done the trip twice.  Great way to start or end a cruise.  

• Thanks 1

I'm booked to do a P2P trip Seward to Seward later this year (June), with (paid for) train trip both ways.  My understanding is train leaves from station adjacent to the airport.  If you are staying in a "Silversea Hotel", I believe you get a shuttle to the train.  I think Hotel Captain Cook is "official" SS.  We made our own reserves at Marriot Downtown, which SS has used before.  I'm hoping they will swing shuttle by to pick us up, but - lacking that - expect to taxi to the train station.  If you look at map of Anchorage, you can see there is a branch of RR line that runs to the station by the airport.  I understand the SS pax are on cars that are exclusively for SS.  (Hopefully with champagne & what not!)  What's in Port shows only Silver Muse in port for our board/disembark days, so maybe just a few cars in our case.  But these trains are different that the public train.  I'd love to know when the SS train leaves Anchorage, and arrives in Seward, and vice versa.  Am bugging my SS agent after make final payment.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, twangster said:

The public train anyone can book use a downtown station in Anchorage and Seward which is a 15 minute walk to the ship.  

I recommend GoldStar service.  I’ve done the trip twice.  Great way to start or end a cruise.  

Unfortunately, GoldStar tickets are sold out the date of departure for the cruise we are looking at.

• 3 months later...
On 1/25/2024 at 9:31 AM, Robroy said:

We are D2D Seward to Vancouver in May and understand the Silversea train leaves ANC around 1:00 arriving late in the afternoon.

Cheers,

Rob

Can you report back about your train experience? We are on the Nova in August and upgraded our transportation from the bus to the train. I assumed it was Goldstar service? Domed car, drinks and such?

13 minutes ago, Lesley Nager said:

Can you report back about your train experience? We are on the Nova in August and upgraded our transportation from the bus to the train. I assumed it was Goldstar service? Domed car, drinks and such?

Based on more information, we have elected to try and switch from the Silversea train to one of their busses. From more recent information, people have indicated the seats aren't particularly comfortable and there is no included food or drink service - pay as you go. It isn't the Gold Star service you can get with the Alaska Railroad.

Evidently it leaves about 1:00 and arrives in Seward at about 5:30 and the route followed is pretty similar to the bus route alhough the buses start leaving around 11:00am and the trip is 3 1/2 hours.

We had been excited about the train trip based upon a Youtube video we saw which seemed to infer food and drink service was included and people were having a grand time on the trip. This may well be the case but in favour of getting aboard and settled after an 11 hour travel day before and a 4 hour time differential (from the East Coast) we thought the bus might be the better venue. We shall see if we can make the switch.

Cheers,

Rob