Downtown vs Midtown Anchorage

wencel

Hi, I'm spending one night in Anchorage before catching a cruise departing from Seward. Flight lands at ANC mid afternoon and taking a morning shuttle to Seward the next day. Plan is to check into hotel, stroll around the area a bit, grab some dinner, no other agenda. Trying to figure out if downtown or midtown is better for this.

Looking at Google Maps it looks like midtown has more food options (and possibly more window shopping?). Downtown has the museum but is otherwise less 'lively'? I'll be solo and I think both areas are ok safety wise (with the usual female solo traveling caveats)? Would appreciate thoughts on each area's vibe. Thanks

• Like 1

If you're looking to do some walking with window shopping and dining, downtown is better.  The downtown Hilton is in a good spot.  I recommend walking across the street to 49th State for lunch or dinner.  The chowder and the elk burger are amazing, as is the beer selection.  

The midtown area is far more spread out and walking isn't as easy.  I usually stay at the Embassy Suites in midtown, which is a great hotel, but that suits me for business travel.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

If you're looking to do some walking with window shopping and dining, downtown is better.  The downtown Hilton is in a good spot.  I recommend walking across the street to 49th State for lunch or dinner.  The chowder and the elk burger are amazing, as is the beer selection.  

The midtown area is far more spread out and walking isn't as easy.  I usually stay at the Embassy Suites in midtown, which is a great hotel, but that suits me for business travel.  

So helpful, thank you!

Define Midtown.  Downtown has decent hotels.  The airport area has mostly decent hotels.  Spenard and especially Fairview have lots of dodgy hotels and meth labs.  Expect to pay around $300 a night for an ok hotel.  Go to TripAdvisor or Priceline and read the reviews carefully.  If you want to walk around and go out to eat, downtown is probably better and certainly safer.

• Like 1

You are going to get sticker shock for accommodations here. There are a couple of really nice apartments on airbnb in downtown that I would recommend over a hotel.  Look at the reviews and check out the location.  If you find a place and want an opinion, get back to us here.  

I was taken back by hotel rates in general and certainly downtown @AKJonesy Will look at airbnb options. Thanks for the tip.

I'm looking at Hyatt House which is mid-town but I think offers a shuttle downtown. I don't mind longggg walks so could shuttle to downtown then walk off dinner.

I'm using the ACT shuttle to Seward and they will pick up from various hotels. Sailing on Silversea... didn't occur to me to check what hotel they're using and transfer. Another good tip. Thanks @oaktreerb

Concur, downtown IMO is the only way to go, we've stayed at the DT Marriott a couple of times and the location is fine for walking everywhere DT . If you rent a car midtown area hotels are fine also

14 hours ago, wencel said:

I was taken back by hotel rates in general and certainly downtown @AKJonesy Will look at airbnb options. Thanks for the tip.

I'm looking at Hyatt House which is mid-town but I think offers a shuttle downtown. I don't mind longggg walks so could shuttle to downtown then walk off dinner.

I'm using the ACT shuttle to Seward and they will pick up from various hotels. Sailing on Silversea... didn't occur to me to check what hotel they're using and transfer. Another good tip. Thanks @oaktreerb

It's a hop skip from there to downtown...an easy, quick Uber ride.  Probably worth it considering sky high prices of hotels in downtown.  ALSO, it's an 8 minute walk from Hyatt House to the bus stop on Arctic (route 35) which takes you straight to downtown in minutes.  https://www.muni.org/Departments/transit/PeopleMover/Documents/!2023 Documents/Service Change/System Map.pdf

I would personally stay Downtown. Check out a B&B called Susitna Place. Amazing views of the inlet, close to downtown (just a few blocks from Captain Cook), perfect for solo traveler. 

• 2 weeks later...

I booked Holiday Inn Express- 4411 Spenard Road. Is this downtown? We're getting in around 11pm off the Alaska Rail from Seward and than have 2 full days in Anchorage before flight home. Safe? TIA for advice and tips! We are a family of 4 including 2 college aged. 

3 hours ago, deenalf said:

I booked Holiday Inn Express- 4411 Spenard Road. Is this downtown? We're getting in around 11pm off the Alaska Rail from Seward and than have 2 full days in Anchorage before flight home. Safe? TIA for advice and tips! We are a family of 4 including 2 college aged. 

I have not been to Anchorage, so take what I say with a grain of salt.  And only one cruise to Alaska, or anywhere for that matter.  So I know squat.  I just have researched a lot of options for my upcoming cruise.

If I were arriving in Seward from your ship, I would stay in Seward.   The next day (or same day depending on when you arrive), take a 4 to 8 hour Kenai Fjords tour, then either another night in Seward and then the Train to Anchorage for the flight home.

I have heard so many good things about Kenai Fjords.   I am doing a southbound in June and flying in 2 days before to rent a car to drive to Seward to do the Kenai Fjords cruise, then back to Anchorage to get on a bus to Whittier for my cruise.   

Now there are things to do around Anchorage, but from what I have read, I would pick the Kenai Fjords option over something else.

And who knows, once I complete my cruise I will have completely different advice.

Edited by SirTomster
  • Like 1