Caribbean itinerary?

cruiseangler

We have done 2 previous cruises - both on Princess - the first was Western Caribbean, the second was Southern. We enjoyed both, but are looking for an itinerary that doesnt have too many duplicate ports from our first two cruises, and we personally did not enjoy some of the "poorer" ports. On the first cruise (from Ft. Lauderdale), we visited Ocho Rios Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and Princess Cays. We enjoyed all, but other than Dunn's River Falls, would not want to go to Jamaica again. Second cruise (from San Juan), we visited Grenada, Dominica, Aruba, St. Thomas. We greatly enjoyed St. Thomas, and Grenada and Aruba were good, but Dominica was not a favorite for us.

Any suggestions for other itineraries, either on Princess, or other lines? Our cruise group (6-8 couples) is primarily in the 40-55 age group, and while we enjoy ourselves, we are not looking for a "party" cruise.

Thanks.

I just got back from two Royal Caribbean Cruises which I would highly recommend. The first was a 10-night Panama Canal cruise on the Brilliance of the Seas which hit Aruba, Panama Canal, Costa Rica, and Grand Cayman. The 2nd was a 7-night Southern Caribbean on Serenade of the Seas which hit St. Thomas, St. Martin, Antigua, St. Lucia, and Barbados. The ships are beautiful, the service was great, and the ports were amazing (except I'm not particularly fond of Grand Cayman, but it was better than my previous visit).

Thanks! Have you ever travelled on Princess? Just wondering about how things compare - we have been extremely pleased with Princess ships, services, etc.

The Southern itinerary sounds good - did you travel from Florida or San Jaun?

I've only done Royal Caribbean. The Serenade sails from San Juan. I've seen favorable reviews in the last couple of months comparing the Golden Princess and Serenade with most tending to side slightly with the Serenade. Honestly, Royal Caribbean's Radiance class are beautiful ships. There is so much glass, and so many activities, yet you never feel crowded. They are wonderful.

We have sailed on the Dawn Princess, the Diamond Princess, 3 Holland American ships, 1 celebrity and 32 Royal Caribbean. We agree that the Radiance class on RCCL are wonderful...they are our favorites. Have taken the Brilliance on the Panama Canal cruise and we are taking it again for the 2006 Christmas/New year's cruise. How could you not enjoy that cruise.

If you are planning on cruising many times, I would suggest RCCL. As you add to your cruises, their perks are better. You can find all different ports. Just go to the RCCL home page.

Mocorobabe

On an Eastern route, try to book a cruise that visits St Maarten. That is a fun island, great shopping and very scenic. On the Western side there is Key West, Belize, Roatan, Progresso Merida, Panama, and Costa Maya. I agree with previous posts that Royal Caribbean ships are a destination in themselves. I can't wait to try their Radiance class....love their Explorer class:D Whatever you decide...have FUN!

Appreciate all of the feedback. Sounds like we need to consider RCCL for the next cruise. It's hard to consider going to something other than Princess because we had such great experiences on our previous two cruises.

Hi, Hubby and I did the Eastern cruise on Celebrity Infinity, I booked Millenium but Celebrity changed it. Infinity is sister ship and lovely. We sailed to San Juan, Puerto Rico, St. John's, Antigua and Phillipsburg, St. Marten's. I really enjoyed this trip. Have been to Western Caribbean a number of times. I do enjoy all the cruises, however Eastern is my favorite and especially on Celebrity. I loved St. Martens and took a ship excursion on a tour bus and catamaran . Took us to the French side of the island which we loved. Had lunch at outdoor cafe and I shopped the jewelery store.

I wish I could do it again right now. Look into it. You won't be sorry.

As far as I know you have included two very major eastern ports, St. Thomas and San Juan. But I personally would book on Caribbean Princess. This is a 7 day out of Fort Laurdale that includes St. Thomas, St. Marin/Maarten and their own island. These are my reasons (having read your post question). In St Thomas there are quite a few tours over to St. John, thereby giving you a totally different experience, than just visiting St. Thomas...these tours will all arrive back in time to shop, if you want to pick up a few things in St. Thomas. The island of St. Martin/St. Maarten is one of the most interesting islands on an eastern itenary. It is two separate countries on one island. The French side being my favorite. It is very easy to get around...an cars are easy to rent right at the dock...some carrry as many as 10 people. They also offer some fantastic tours, like the American's Cup Regatta...where you actually are part of an exciting race in the harbor (there are so many other tours, too numerous to mention)...just make sure you go to the French side or you miss the entire point of the island. One of the highlights of cruising for me is enjoying the ship and the days at sea...I find them interesting and there is never enough time to fit in all the planed activities...I love Princess, but I also like Royal Caribbean...but I fear, if I'm reading into your question correctly that you might want to stay with Princess, Royal Caribbean is a different type of ship and I think you are very used to Princess ways...the other cruise line may disappoint you (more families, children, a tiny bit less service, less control of young ones, food in dinningroom slighly inferior, speciality restrarants not as wonderful (but very good-and actually Chops has a better ambience than the Sterling Steak house on Caribbean Princess)...but in the long run, Princess is the better cruise line, but just by a tiny bit.

Rev

Princess does another itinerary out of San Juan on alternate weeks; we did it three years ago on the Golden Princess (our first cruise, and it hooked me). Maybe the Crown Princess will now be taking over from the Golden. Anyway, the islands were Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Maarten/St. Martin, and St. Thomas. Everyone island is different; everyone is a new experience. I don't think any of these would fall into the "poor" category. On St. Lucia I heartily recommend the all-day shore excursion that includes a sail down the coast, a guided tour of the botanical gardens (spectacular), a local luncheon (delicious), and a sail back with a stop for swimming (also includes all the rum punch you want). My wife and I are both active 50-somethings, and this was the best excursion of the cruise.

Rev & Mike:

Thanks for the thoughts. We had narrowed down our Princess choice to the two you mentioned, and while we would probably enjoy another cruise line just as much, we will likely stay with Princess. If we do switch and have any dissatisfaction with another line, we will always second guess our choice.

Why not consider staying with Princess and doing the Panama Canal cruise on the Coral Princes.

It's 10 days R/T Ft Lauderdale. The Panama Canal is a true experience. We did that itinerary in 2004, and were fortunate to have chosen a Princess excursion that took us from Gatun Lake through the rest of the Canal. I don't know what other ports are being used in this itinerary, but we went to Jamaiica (Ocho Rios), Puerto Limon (Costa RIca), Grand Cayman and Cozumel. I think Grand Cayman has been replaced, but don't know with what.

Anyway, this was an excellent cruise that we wanted to suggest to you. The Coral is a beautiful ship. And we love cruising with Princess too.

Archived