Apex Wifi and VPN

rustycruzr

I was recently on the Apex and purchased their internet package. I brought my Roku stick along with the intention of occasionally watching Netflix and other streamers during any time we had in the cabin.

What I realized after logging onto the ship's wifi is that it was really an open wifi (and to think I paid for such wifi)...I got alerts from my internet security software that the network was unsecured.

So I realized that if I logged into my Netflix account, I would be in effect publishing my account credentials to whomever happens to be the resident hacker on the network at that time.

Not willing to put myself at risk, I did without. Never plugged in the Roku stick, nor did I access Netflix. I only used the ship's wifi for occasional surfing of the web for news and sports reporting. I did nothing that required inputting credentials.

So my question: What does one do to protect themselves if one chooses to log in to these accounts on a cruise? Does a VPN provide that protection?

And do I get a VPN, despite only having need for one on the 2 or so cruises I do a year (which are never longer than 2 weeks or so)? Or am I missing other uses for the VPN?

As a rule I never use internet cafes or any other spot the has an open unsecured wifi so I don't see the value in enrolling in a VPN for a year or more. The 2 times or so that I would need to use the VPN every year wouldn't justify the expense. I would just do without Netflix and related streaming when I'm away from home. 

Am I missing something? Are there other uses for a VPN that I'm missing? And was I being a bit paranoid about not wanting to sign into Netflix or other streaming providers such as Max or Starz while on a ship's open wifi?

Would appreciate hearing from those knowledgeable on this...many thanks in advance.

VPN works by encrypting your web traffic before it leaves your device. It sends the encrypted packets to a trusted VPN server, which is owned by the VPN service you paid. There, it is decrypted and passed to the website you are accessing. Reply packets go in reverse. 

Unless someone has cracked RSA or AES encryption, it is safe.

Edited by tscoffey

23 minutes ago, rustycruzr said:

Am I missing something? Are there other uses for a VPN that I'm missing? And was I being a bit paranoid about not wanting to sign into Netflix or other streaming providers such as Max or Starz while on a ship's open wifi?

Would appreciate hearing from those knowledgeable on this...many thanks in advance.

Portal-accessed open wifi networks are pretty standard in the travel industry which allows them to see what you're doing including if you're performing any illegal activities.  There are free VPNs you can download, the only way to utilize them is to ensure the VPN is off, log into the ship's wifi network then turn on VPN.  I would guess 99% of cruising internet users which includes the crew don't use a VPN

Other than a new hacker practicing, it makes little financial sense to hack someone's streaming service login info and if that happens you can simply reset your password as the link would be sent to your email.  One tip for those who are concerned, dedicate one credit card to pay for things when on open wifi networks and use another credit card for everything else

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rustycruzr said:

What I realized after logging onto the ship's wifi is that it was really an open wifi (and to think I paid for such wifi)...I got alerts from my internet security software that the network was unsecured.

So I realized that if I logged into my Netflix account, I would be in effect publishing my account credentials to whomever happens to be the resident hacker on the network at that time.

Why would a hacker want your Netflix log on credentials? In any case while the network is unsecured your login to Netflix is encrypted. Much ado about nothing. 

1 hour ago, tscoffey said:

VPN works by encrypting your web traffic before it leaves your device. It sends the encrypted packets to a trusted VPN server, which is owned by the VPN service you paid. There, it is decrypted and passed to the website you are accessing. Reply packets go in reverse. 

Unless someone has cracked RSA or AES encryption, it is safe.

So combining your explanation with Nutaboutgolf (below) the transaction would be:

1. Sign into Apex's wifi [which is theoretically unencrypted but totally risk free]

2. Access your VPN via wifi [encrypted transaction]

3. Access Netflix/Max/Starz/etc [encrypted sign in]

The key being signing in via your VPN...

Thanks much TSC...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Portal-accessed open wifi networks are pretty standard in the travel industry which allows them to see what you're doing including if you're performing any illegal activities.  There are free VPNs you can download, the only way to utilize them is to ensure the VPN is off, log into the ship's wifi network then turn on VPN.  I would guess 99% of cruising internet users which includes the crew don't use a VPN

Other than a new hacker practicing, it makes little financial sense to hack someone's streaming service login info and if that happens you can simply reset your password as the link would be sent to your email.  One tip for those who are concerned, dedicate one credit card to pay for things when on open wifi networks and use another credit card for everything else

Between your explanation and TSC's (above) I now understand this better. Thanks for your input...

13 minutes ago, rustycruzr said:

2. Access your VPN via wifi [encrypted transaction]

3. Access Netflix/Max/Starz/etc [encrypted sign in]

Netflix may not allow you to log in with a VPN. Some VPNs have a workaround. 

There isn't anything on my Roku that doesn't already have an app on my phone so have quit toting Roku altogether.  Use Type C to HDMI cable from Amazon and stream directly to the TV.  Worked on Summit.  Except for my home network, I always use a VPN over wifi.  Usually keep it signed into a FL server which allows me to stream my local news apps.  That's also how to watch Netflix when out of the country = ship's wifi.  

2 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

Use Type C to HDMI cable from Amazon and stream directly to the TV.   

I actually have one of these purchased for a different purpose. And now it will be repurposed, thanks to you. Hat tip to you GM99...

"My friend Bob" is a someone who specializes in wireless security.  On a number of cruises he has 'played around' with the shipboard WiFi.  Celebrity ships he has cruised on have all used "client isolation" which means that although two cruisers may be using the same wireless access point, they cannot see one another's traffic on the WiFi network.  The only way someone would be able to intercept your user ID and password for you Netflix account would be for them to set up a "man in the middle" attack using a rogue AP.  Bob has told me that this does work pretty well against those not using a VPN as well as those using a VPN but not very careful to make sure they look out for an error message about the VPN end point credentials changing, an indication that you are not connecting to the VPN endpoint you were expecting to connect to. 

"My friend Bob" would take exception to @rustycruzr comment that signing into the ship's WiFi being "totally risk free".  By sniffing WiFi connections if he could intercept your connection to the ship's WiFi, he could get your login credentials for the ship's WiFi, which are send unencrypted before you engage your VPN. 

Edited by DaKahuna

4 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

There isn't anything on my Roku that doesn't already have an app on my phone so have quit toting Roku altogether.  Use Type C to HDMI cable from Amazon and stream directly to the TV.  Worked on Summit.  Except for my home network, I always use a VPN over wifi.  Usually keep it signed into a FL server which allows me to stream my local news apps.  That's also how to watch Netflix when out of the country = ship's wifi.  

image.gif.f007d8d872c4a739d8bd65a80ad8c8be.gif

• Haha 1