Civitavecchia Express

CaribNomad

We have reservations for what appears to be the Civitavecchia Express your and direct train to Rome through Costa Cruise Line. Although the tour description doesn't explicitly mention 'Civitavecchia Express,' the details seem similar. However, after checking online prices, it seems more cost-effective to book the Civitavecchia Express directly. We're contemplating switching, but we're having trouble finding where to purchase tickets. Can you please confirm if the tour is still operational, especially around late February when we'll be in Civitavecchia?

The Civitavecchia Express this year ran between April through November.  It's just a train, not a tour.

You can almost always do better on your own.  If you want assigned seats, you can take a Frecce train from Civitavecchia to Rome Termini.  There is one at 9:16 that arrives at 10:03.  If you purchased today it would be 9,90 euro (super economy), later pricing closer to your departure prices are 12,90 (economy) or 16 euro (base fare/last minute/walk up).  These trains make no stops between Civitavecchia and Rome Termini and the trip takes 47 minutes.

For the return there are Frecces at 16:57 (arrives 17:44) or 18:27 (arrives 19:14).

EN - Trenitalia

• Like 1

There is a schedule update in mid-June.  Trains will be loaded into the system gradually, starting with the high speed, longer range trains.  The regional trains will be the last added.

The schedule generally doesn't change a whole lot, so look at the same day of the week you are interested in a couple of months earlier.  The ultimate schedule won't be dramatically different.

• Like 2

On 1/26/2024 at 1:57 PM, euro cruiser said:

The Civitavecchia Express this year ran between April through November.  It's just a train, not a tour.

You can almost always do better on your own.  If you want assigned seats, you can take a Frecce train from Civitavecchia to Rome Termini.  There is one at 9:16 that arrives at 10:03.  If you purchased today it would be 9,90 euro (super economy), later pricing closer to your departure prices are 12,90 (economy) or 16 euro (base fare/last minute/walk up).  These trains make no stops between Civitavecchia and Rome Termini and the trip takes 47 minutes.

For the return there are Frecces at 16:57 (arrives 17:44) or 18:27 (arrives 19:14).

EN - Trenitalia

Hoping someone can answer a few questions for a first time cruiser.

I have taken local trains in other countries, but EVERYONE is warning me not to try it in Italy. Our port stop arrives at 6 am, hoping the €6 port shuttle will get us to ? (not sure if it the Largo della Pace or the train station). Port site says it is a special train the runs exclusively for cruise passengers from 7 am-7:30 am and until 6:30-7pm.

A recommendation on the time I should schedule the Frecce train? Would we make a 9:16 reservation if we arrive at port at 6 am??  Thanks much in advance 🙃

This is the info from the PortMobility site:

FROM THE PORT OF CIVITAVECCHIA TO THE TRAIN STATION ON FOOT

Distance from the port: 1 km / 1.5 km (600 meters from Forte Michelangelo, 1.5 km from Largo della Pace)

Travel time: 10/20 minutes 

From Fort Michelangelo, exit at Varco Fortezza and take via Giuseppe Garibaldi, then follow the directions for the train station.
From Largo della Pace, go past the roundabout and take via XVI settembre, continue to the end of the street and turn right. Then take via Giuseppe Garibaldi and follow the signs for the train station.

FROM THE PORT OF CIVITAVECCHIA TO THE TRAIN STATION BY BUS

The special public transport line service connects the Civitavecchia train station with the Cruise Ships and vice versa.

The service, aimed exclusively at cruise passengers, is operational from 7:00 - 7:30 am until 06:30 - 07:00 pm only on the days of departure / arrival of the ships.

The cost is €6 each way. Tickets can be purchased directly on board.

I understand the reasons for wanting a Frecce train, the assigned seat and non-stop trip to Rome, but what a waste of time to wait until after 9 AM when you arrive at 6.

The 6 euro option is a bus from the ship (or cruise terminal, whichever applies in your case) directly to the Civitavecchia train station.

I'm here to tell you that NOT everyone is warning you off local trains in Italy.  It's quite easy to do and a great value.

There is no need to purchase a regional train ticket in advance, these trains cannot sell out as seating is first come, first served.  You might be able to make the 6:36 train, but you'll absolutely be able to make the next one at 7:02.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

I understand the reasons for wanting a Frecce train, the assigned seat and non-stop trip to Rome, but what a waste of time to wait until after 9 AM when you arrive at 6.

The 6 euro option is a bus from the ship (or cruise terminal, whichever applies in your case) directly to the Civitavecchia train station.

I'm here to tell you that NOT everyone is warning you off local trains in Italy.  It's quite easy to do and a great value.

There is no need to purchase a regional train ticket in advance, these trains cannot sell out as seating is first come, first served.  You might be able to make the 6:36 train, but you'll absolutely be able to make the next one at 7:02.

Thank you so much for responding to my questions! I think I'll go ahead and get off the ship as quickly as possible and do exactly as you suggested. I've downloaded the EN Trentialia app, so I should be able to see what the current schedule is looking like. I also realize these trains are usually late, so I can see what has not made it to the station as well and purchase through the app.

Trying not to overthink this. I have to be at the Vatican museum steps by 10:15am for a tour. The express train takes longer than the 8:42am train. It makes more sense just to take that one than the express, right? That’s the type of train I can purchase the BIRG pass for as well right? Thanks so much! IMG_5975.thumb.png.88c822d4995f2340e609649cd9ee3f66.png 

All of those are regional trains, so the BIRG ticket would work with any of them.

I still don't understand waiting around when you could be in Rome almost two hours earlier than you need to be, but I guess that's me.  There is never enough time in Rome for me, even if it's just wandering around and breathing it in.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Are BIRG still available with the new 2024 online check in process for regional trains? Is it possible to purchase a BIRG tickets in advance? And, if not, how crowded is the line to buy them at the bar/tobacco stand (in July)? Is tobacco store BIRGs still a "secret" strategy (haven't gotten one in 10 years) to get a quick train ticket or does everyone do this now? And, do we need to validate the BIRG or will it be dated when we buy it?

Edited by elaine5

We are also big fans of the BIRG ticket.  Think about it.  For only 12 Euros you get round trip train and all day's use of Rome's Metro and bus system.  My only caveat is that folks do need to do some pre-trip homework, have some kind of game plan on where you want to go in Rome, and know the local transportation (metro and/or buses) options to achieve your plan.  We also suggest heading back to Civitavecchia a little early....do not wait for the last possible train.

Euro Cruiser can correct me if wrong, but I think you can purchase BIRG tickets at various small newstand-like places or even in the shop that is right next to the station.  You can also purchase them at the ticket windows in the station although you might have to deal with a line.  Just like the regular tickets, you need to validate the BIRG ticket in a validation machine (on or near the platform entrance) before first use.

Hank

• Like 1

Hank, are you sure about purchasing the BIRG from the Trenitalia ticket windows?  I do know you can get it from the newsstand inside the station, as well as some shops nearby but I'm not sure about the ticket windows, as this is an ATAC ticket, not one issued by Trenitalia.