We will be traveling to Porto arriving in leixos( sp) port and wanted information on what options are available at the port to arrange either private tours or transportation  to  Porto . I’m debating on whether to book a private tour in advance since the included tour my cruise line is offering is waitlisted . Is it easy to navigate on your own to get to/from/around  Porto from the por? Is there a shuttle that takes you to/from Porto? I believe it is approx 1/2 hour or less ride from the port  also which city would  you recommend touring Guimmares (sp) or Porto ? 

Any experience or recommendations would be welcomed. 

Edited by bobolz

4 hours ago, bobolz said:

also which city would  you recommend touring Guimmares (sp) or Porto ? 

Definitely Porto.  We visited Guimaraes and Braga on a tour on our 3rd or 4th call to Porto, but the city has quite a lot to offer visitors and if you like port, you will be spoiled for choice given the number of port houses there.  Really quite a lot to see and do, so do the usual 2homework" on the  official PortoTourist info website,Ttripadvisor, YouTube, guidebooks and other online websites for ideas.

You can take a tram to the nicest area of Porto (Vila Nova da Gaia) which is also next to the spectacular bridge, the old town  and the famous(tiled) train station Reading past threads should give you info.  Choose which you want to read from these.

Porto

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=porto&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=149

Oporto

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=oporto&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=149

Leixoes

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=leixoes&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=149

Edited by edinburgher

There are a few different docking locations at the Leixoes area, but it is likely you will be at the normal cruise port where you can walk to the Tram Station.  You should do a little pre-cruise research on which station you want to get off (which depends on where you want to start your time in Porto).  There are some good tourist options on both sides of the river so having a "game plan" is helpful.

Hank

We are also having an overnight in Porto.  I am interested in the train station, visiting port houses and a cruise down the river.  I am looking forward to the research on getting around and hitting all of these sites.  

15 hours ago, Chris said:

I am looking forward to the research on getting around and hitting all of these sites.  

That should be a lovely day out.  Use the tram.  There is a change to be made from one line to another to get you to the river and port wine area at Vila Nova de Gaia, but it was easy to do and you can find all the info on the trams online.(ticketing, actual lines, and stations) Once there you can simply walk from one to the other then take the tram back to the port.

• Thanks 1