Trieste

floridababa

Will be overnight in Trieste and would love to spend the night in Venice hotel? How do we get from Trieste port to Venice?  Any recommendations for a hotel near Rialto  bridge or St Marks square?

Thank you

Best compromise between convenience & cost is by direct train.

From Trieste airport station to Venezia Santa Lucia station. Mainly an hourly service but an awkward gap mid-morning , journey time about 2 hours, one-way fares mainly €15 to €20 depending on time of travel.

Unless you choose a hotel on the mainland (or your journey needs to be in that awkward mid-morning gap) avoid trains to Venezia Mestre, which then needs an awkward train connection or taxi or bus ride.

If you're returning to Trieste to sail, you'll want a train to Molo Bersaglieri in Trieste. It's right by the cruise berth.

https://www.lefrecce.it/Channels.Website.WEB/#/ 

the website is clunky and IMHO not user-friendly (eg you need to be precise with those station names), but does have an English translation function

There's a cheap but tiresome bus option, an expensive private car transfer option, and a super-expensive water taxi option. There's also one ferry service (about 3pm) daily except tuesdays.

JB 🙂

11 hours ago, floridababa said:

Any recommendations for a hotel near Rialto  bridge or St Marks square?

Venice hotels are a huge subject for several reasons, the main one being that there are no roads after Piazzale Roma, meaning you would need to pay for an expensive private water taxi, walk or use the public water buses which can be crowded.

You also need to allow for logistics due to the number of bridges you might need to cross on foot to reach your hotel as they are mostly stepped and involve carrying  luggage up, across and down the other side. Should you decide on a  private water taxi, would your hotel have a private dock or where would the nearest public water bus stop be to it?

Or would you prefer to leave the bulk of your luggage in luggage storage and only carry a small bag with your essentials?

Many visitors find it more convenient to stay in the Piazzale Roma vicinity as this is close to the train station and is the last point for all vehicular traffic. Your preferred area is almost  at the opposite end of the city so I suggest you read the info others have given then decide where your priorities would lie.

Lots to consider due to Venice being as unique as it is.

Many many past threads on CC on the topic and lots of useful info to be found..

Try searching for past threads referencing Venice Hotels, but these would be a start.  Choose which to read.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=venice hotel&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=464&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

As it appears this would be your first visit, do dig into this much recommended excellent website The more you explore it, the more info you will find.

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

This will not be our first visit. We will only have a carryon as the rest would stay on the ship. Don't know if the ship will have transportation from Trieste otherwise we have to figure out how to get there

1 hour ago, floridababa said:

This will not be our first visit. We will only have a carryon as the rest would stay on the ship. Don't know if the ship will have transportation from Trieste otherwise we have to figure out how to get there

Re my post above, since you're sailing into & out of Trieste, by train it's Molo Bersaglieri for travel both to & from Venice.

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, floridababa said:

You had asked about both transport and a hotel, but as JB had already given you transport info in post #2, I focused on the hotel question.

As you didn't explain that your overnight in Trieste was neither  pre nor post cruise, and that you would leave  luggage onboard and only travel with a small bag ,I  had to assume you would have luggage with you so that explains my answers.  And not knowing you had previously visited there, I gave additional information I thought would be useful to you as Venice is so unique many first time visitors do not always understand the logistics of getting to a hotel.

Whatever, the link to past  hotel threads where you can choose which to read is still relevant.

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/search/?q=venice hotel&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=464&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

Edited by edinburgher

On 1/28/2024 at 11:23 PM, floridababa said:

I would anticipate that the ship provides transportation to Venice.  That would be their revenue for the day.    Probably the most convenient be more expensive method of transportation.  

What is your budget for the Venice hotel?   We stayed in a lovely but budget hotel near to the train station.  Even though it was ‘budget’ I think that it was the most expensive hotel I have ever stayed in 

• 1 month later...