New Zealand- What are the best places to visit?

I am planning a trip to New Zealand and was wondering what places are recommended to visit? I am hoping for about a time frame of 2 weeks, maybe a bit more. New Zealand looks like such a beautiful country, that it would be hard to pick which areas to go to! :D I would love to aim to visit as much as I can.

Also has anyone experienced the Overlander train that goes from Auckland to Wellington? Or Agrodome? They both sounded ideal.

Is it best to hire a car or hop on a train?

Thank you so much for your help in advance. :)

If you have two weeks, my first suggestion would be to rent a campervan and tour the South Island only. That timescale is probably about right, if perhaps a little rushed. But you'd be really pushing it to try to get the best out of both islands at once with so little time.

You have a tough task. Would this likely be your only trip to NZ? If it is, the task is even tougher - mission impossible.

We've done it twice - once for 17 days and then for 15 days - and we hope to go back again for at least 2 to 3 more weeks in 07 if we can swing it.

I think you have to include either Doubtful Sound or Milford Sound on your list. I have some DS photos that will show why http://www.leslie.nz-au.photos.us.com/

I might get around to posting the Milford photos one of these days. My problem is 11,000 photos over two trips and I get bogged down wondering which ones to post. Those I did post were simply to test the site (also some on the Great Ocean Road worth glancing at).

I'd recommend a circular trip of the South Island. We did that our first trip. It will take up the two weeks and you will leave happy but wanting to come back and do the North Island (Cape Reinga and Bay of Islands in particular, and Napier, Wellington, Rotoroa (Rottenroa), Auckland, etc. ). You should consider a one day train trip from Christchurch to Graymouth. We took it in 04 and it was well worth it. We did it roundtrip. Just north of Graymouth are the Pancake Rocks - don't miss them.

We just love NZ and AU but I guess we lean a bit more towards AU and given its size we've spent much more time in AU - but on both occasions concluded more time was needed for NZ.

Lots of luck in your planning - you will need it.

Grandriver

Hi - I am from Auckland - and I too would recommend that if you only have 2 weeks that the South Island is the place to go. If you want to do a train trip, the Tranzalpine is the one to do http://www.tranzscenic.co.nz/

If it was me I would base myself at Queenstown - loads to do and see and a great atmosphere (though quite expensive but then your dollar is good at the moment). You can do day trips from there: to Milford Sound; Wanaka; vineyards in Central Otago and maybe Catlins if you are into the wilderness.

Agree that a campervan is the way to go.

If you do want to see the North Island, Rotorua is very unique with the thermal activity and the Agrodome is good but there is bound to be something like that in the Sth Island.

Hope this helps.

Just in case anyone is interested, I have just finished the EasyShare Photo album. It has 548 photos of our Diamond Princess Cruise.

BTW, we did the TranzAlpine excursion, so there are plenty of pictures in our review and in the album.

You can access both the review and the photo album by going to our website at www.thepreismans.com and clicking on NZ - Australia yellow button. Scroll down to the end of the review and you will find link to the album.

Enjoy ---

I agree with chlo. You could always take the Overlander from Auckland to Wellington, stay in Wellington for a night or two, then pick up a campervan and catch the ferry to Picton (South Island), and start your tour from there. The South Island is very beautiful and worth a good look around.

• 4 weeks later...

Agreed, South Island has a lot to offer, with Queenstown, beautiful Christchurch, Milford Sound, etc.etc.etc... But the North Island has lots to offer too. Bay of Islands, on a bright sunny, warm day, is incredible. You MUST take a catamaran ride out to the Hole in the Rock. 90-mile beach is a wonderful visit, Rotorua is a wonderful day or 2 to explore..(even with the Stinky Egg smells)... If you're a fan of Lord of the Rings, I believe there is still a tour of the film site for Hobbiton (Home of the Hobbits)...=D Auckland has lots to offer as well...Queen Street, the Harbor area (not nicknamed the 'City of Sails' for nothing...)

Just my 2-cents worth....from a Canadian that used to live/work in Auckland for a couple years.

Kia-Ora!!!!

I certainly agree with Greg. Don't count out the North Island, especially farther north of Auckland. The scenary is breath taking. I also loved Rotorua and that whole area. In Auckland itself, don't miss going down to the Viaduct area at night. It's "the place to be". Very happening. :D

Archived