CUSTOMS IN SPAIN: Money and cards, tips, telephone, languages, documentation, business hours...

52 minutes ago, lakegirl16 said:

Question on tipping for tour guides and bus drivers.  What is customary in Europe?  Thank you

Hi,

No tipping at all!!!!!

Spanish workers (European in general but I will write about Spanish only) have their working rights and a salary. It is considered all services are included.

Just to clarify.... I barely tip 3-4 restaurants in a whole year. Only in those were food and service were very very good and price was cheap. And never 5 euros. Less quantity.

In the rest of cases I just pay my bill.

As I do.... 99,99% of Spanish (and of Europeans)

In other words.... let's think on a taxi.

You arrive, you pay the bill. That's all. Nothing happens

If .... if.... if.... taxi driver speaks your language AND he's very polite AND he gives you some information or intersting advice AND he helps you with your luggage AND....

you can tip 3 euro or so

But if he does so many things and you do not tip.... it happens nothing

• Like 1

Just to understand how prices and tips go in Spain.

A taxi from the airport to the pier costs 45 euro in Barcelona and ALL supplements (weekend if apply, baggages, port, airport, etc...) are included

Point of view of tipping.

A taxi costs 40 euro. I will tip 5 euro, maybe more to taxi driver. He will receive 45 euro at least

Point of view of no tipping

A taxi costs 45 euro. I will pay 45 euro. If he wants 50 euro, they should increase official fares to 50 euro.

At the end, the incomings are the same but prices in Spain (in Europe in general) are what people pays for and consider all is included.

And as said.... only if an EXCELLENT service, something extra something you didn't expected worths a SMALL tip

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

USE OF CREDIT CARDS

==> For online purchases

It is possible that when making an online payment you will be rejected again and again. You will wonder why.

It may be because your card does not meet the European Union's electronic payment requirements. In this case, talk to your bank. If the required security measures increase you will not have problems

For security measures, it is considered that they ask you for two of the following three things: "something you know", "something you are" and "something you have"
- Something you know: PIN, password, etc...
- something you are: fingerprint, facial recognition, voice recognition, etc...
- something you have: mobile phone (device), mobile phone (number), passport, etc...

Electronic payment must ask for at least TWO of these three things.

For example, in my case it is very common that if I buy something from my mobile phone
- the bank knows that I am using the mobile phone that is registered and will also ask me for either my confirmation fingerprint or my PIN

If I buy from a laptop
- the bank is going to ask me for my PIN and probably either asks me to unlock an application on my mobile to confirm, or sends me an SMS and asks me to enter it

It is very difficult to make an online purchase from a laptop in Spain without having a mobile phone due to security measures.

So, if your payment is rejected, check to see if you are meeting these requirements or you have to talk to your bank.

THESE MEASURES APPLY EQUALLY IN THE 27 COUNTRIES OF THE EUROPEAN UNION

==> PIN USE

It is advisable that your card has the PIN activated.

Although the use of the contactless system is widespread, you may have to use the card chip to pay (inserting it into the machine). Either because the contactless system is not yet activated on a machine, or because it fails and you have to try the chip.

If you use contactless it will NOT ask you for your PIN
If you use the chip, YES it will ask you for the PIN

In Spain, the system of physically signing a card receipt is no longer used.

==> DO NOT GIVE THE CARD TO PAY

In Spain there is a very recent measure (March 2024) through which the customer has the right not to hand over their card to pay anywhere.

That is, it doesn't matter if it is a store, a restaurant or a means of transportation. The payment system must be designed so that you never let go of the card from your hand (in a restaurant, for example, you don't have to give it to the waiter to manipulate it in the machine).

If it is a contactless system (most of them) it will be very easy. They bring you a terminal and you pass it to pay.

If the chip must be used, you must still be the one to manipulate it. In no case who charges.

To do this, if it is not a counter where you pay next to where you order, either they provide you with a wireless terminal (the most common) or you go to where the terminal is.

We are a Canadian couple taking a European cruise onboard the Island Princess this August and are wondering what form of currency should we bring. I know the onboard payments are done in US but what about when ashore? Would it be better in cash being the local currency, or a credit card?  

I would recommend you to calculate rates before your cruise.

How much (in percentage) you will pay if using your card?. This is.... it is just a percentage or there's an additional fee per operation??

How much (in percentage) you will pay if you exchange cash?. Sometimes it is just easier to get money from an ATM. You use your card, you ask for money.... money you pay is in your local currency, money you get is in euro.

I guess it is an issue just of fees, commisions and percentages.

In Spain, in touristic zones and big cities, you can pay a coffee with a card. And obviously in cash.

I'm sure you will cross more countries that use euro. So cash will be used there too.

I'm sure your bank will say cheaper if paying by card (rather than in cash). If so, go to an ATM, ask for 40-50 euro in cash and pay everything with your card

but... ask your bank

We have 60+ euros left over from a trip to the Azores, I think enough for what we need, especially if taxis take cc, and I know they do in Barcelona.  Our credit cards have no foreign transaction fees.  One phone will have an esim and the other I can use an international plan any day I need it (for 10 USD).  I am hoping to get by with hotel and cruise ship wifi for most of what I do.  Our passports are good for another year plus.  I hope that I'm not forgetting anything.  We travel frequently. mostly to Central America, so I know some of the big mistakes.  

About money (and cards), it is important to have always cash money. There are things you will only pay with coins and ... euro are required.
But, maybe you will not use any coins. You can pay in Spain coffees, ice creams and obviously taxis, restaurants with a credit card (just a hint.... Mastercard or Visa!!!. Amex and Diners aren't welcome)
In my day-to-day in Spain I pay barely nothing in cash.
Just in case, if you would need 50 extra more euro, go to an ATM, not to an exchange currency agent.

For phones, you can buy a Spanish e-SIM. They are cheap and they will let you use internet on your mobile and call anywhere. Remember you can use any Spanish card free of charge in France (and in other EU country)

And about passports, all controls just on arrival on airport. There's no passport control between France and Spain, so no controls when arriving to French ports
Just as an example, this is the border between Spain and France in the shore road. You can guess where custom booths were located some decades ago but... they doesn't exist at all

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4349367,3.159612,3a,75y,136.79h,73.26t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sPSzJHAlJwsU7nxlOmhDsIQ!2e0!3e11!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu

We will be using credit cards while in Spain, but wondering where/when we might also use cash ( euros ) just as easily/ appropriately … small purchases etc.

Going to the bank to exchange US $$ to EUROS 😉

Hi, for exchange, I would ask your bank about fares for ATM.

Probably, for just 50 euro it is the cheapest option. You go to an ATM, you ask for 50 euro and your bank will calculate into dollars with exchange fee.

Ask your bank and even ask if it doesn't matter which ATM you use or if it is cheaper in a brand of ATM.

If it doesn't matter, be sure you will have thousands and thousands of ATM available 24/7 for you.

For paying, as Spanish, I barely barely use cash in my day-to-day.

This means, restaurants, taxi, almost all shops, public transport, etc... can be payed by card.

You could need cash in Street shops and.... few more places (and some street shops are accepting cards)

But as an example, you will be able to pay a baguette or a coffee with card and zero problems

About cards, be awared that Diners and Amex are NOT accepted in Spain as a rule (use Mastercard or Visa)

On 1/29/2024 at 11:04 AM, alserrod said:

TIPS

If you live in North America, let's make it clear, in Spain tips are much more infrequent, and even non-existent, compared to what you are used to.

In Europe in general there is the impression (and desire) that money is earned honestly through wages, not tips. The worker is already assured of a salary before starting work and will carry out his or her work, with or without tips.

Therefore, the general rule is to tip if the service was extraordinary, if you would remember something special about that service. And the tips are always much lower than what you are used to. It is always considered that the service is included in the rate you are going to pay.

That means that services like a bus driver (where you are expected to take a very specific route without much option for change), just for example, are never tipped.

Where do you usually tip?

In restaurants, if you consider that the service has been special (if it has been normal service, you only pay the bill and nothing happens)

In a taxi if they have done something very special for you (for example carry a lot of luggage or give you valuable information)

In a hotel if they have provided you with something (if you have only asked for the room key, this is what was expected of them)
etc...

And remember that

In restaurants sometimes you prefer a 5-star review with photos and comments on Google or TripAdvisor instead of a tip

If you don't tip.... nothing just happens. The one who served you will also receive his salary. He has it included and it is very regulated

Oh, and if you tip, always in euros. Tipping in a currency other than the local currency is like going to your city and tipping someone in euros. What do you do with those bills?

Thank you!  Your information is incredibly helpful.  Everything that I was looking for was answered here in matter-of-fact prose.

• Like 1

About cash and cards

Cards are accepted almost everywhere in Spain.

Let's hint that

- If a business points (it is enough information in entrance) cards are welcome, they must accept it (if card reader doesn't run, it would be their problem, not yours)

- nevertheless they can set a minimum amount up to 30 euro (they can say "cards accepted, minimum 5 euro", for instance)

- and good to know.... it is forbidden to pay more than 1000 euro in cash in Spain (There are enough reasons to pay more than 1000 euro: cars, holidays, furniture, etc...  If so, card, bank transfer, check or whatever. If cash and detected, it is punished)

But... never mind where you live when you read this. I would invite you to think.... What should I recommend about cash to a Spanish visiting my country?

If you do not have a minimal fee for ATM (just a percentage), I would get 20 euro (maybe 50, no more), pay the fee and pay everything with card. You will know you have payed 20 euro for those minimal purchases. Maybe you spent only 12.... think on 20 and it's all