Getting from Trieste to Venice

floridababa

Lots of discussion in the past about this very topic, but final conclusion was it was not easy. Don't know if HAL offers any transfers, but you can find out on the HAL website check in for your cruise - travel planning for pre- and post cruise travel/transfers.  Trains seemed like the best private option.

Maybe Venice itself now runs a bus linking the two, like they link the Milan train station to the Milan airport? But more likely they only link their own airport and not the now typical cruise port in Trieste.

There is a "ports" board on CC which probably has the best and most current information about this transfer. Lucky you, both are beautiful cities. 

I don’t know if this helps, but you can check the flixbus website for the connection from Trieste (Autostazine) to Venice airport and vice versa if they have a suitable connection for your date/time. Busses a fairly frequent and the ride itself takes a little less than two hours, tickets are around 15€ pp. When I disembarked in Trieste the last time, I walked to the bus station, which is located near the main train station. Took me around 20 minutes with a large suitcase and a backpack.

have you joined your roll call?

There might well be like minded people and private transfers might be in the process of being arranged or arranged already.

We took the train in October and stayed at the Hotel Abbazia, around the corner from the Santa Lucia train station in Venice.  It was so convenient and allowed us to maximize our time there without having to shuttle around to get to and from our hotel and train station.  The train station in Trieste was a 15 minute walk to the ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
On 1/29/2024 at 7:56 AM, Mr. Boston said:

We took the train in October and stayed at the Hotel Abbazia, around the corner from the Santa Lucia train station in Venice.  It was so convenient and allowed us to maximize our time there without having to shuttle around to get to and from our hotel and train station.  The train station in Trieste was a 15 minute walk to the ship.

If I understand correctly,  You took the train station Santa Lucia back to the ship?  Did you have to make any connections?  Is there only the one station to get off at in Trieste.  Was there restrooms on the train?  I'm sorry for all theses question.  I'm trying to figure out if I want to book with Holland American in July 2025.  They have an overnight stop in Trieste.  The day tour is $319 each.  Im thinking I would rather spend that money on a hotel.  Thank you for the help.

1 hour ago, afdds said:

If I understand correctly,  You took the train station Santa Lucia back to the ship?  Did you have to make any connections?  Is there only the one station to get off at in Trieste.  Was there restrooms on the train?  I'm sorry for all theses question.  I'm trying to figure out if I want to book with Holland American in July 2025.  They have an overnight stop in Trieste.  The day tour is $319 each.  Im thinking I would rather spend that money on a hotel.  Thank you for the help.

To be honest you still have a whole year to go.  I think the route and options for Venice to Trieste are getting better.  We did fine taking the train from Bologna to Trieste and Airbnb the day before embarking and then using FlixBus to Venice for our return.  That was a year ago and I think it is getting to be a road more well traveled.  

So you have this season to keep on reading reviews and blogs.  Make that your summer homework.  You have time to make decisions during the winter 

• Thanks 1