Long LAX Lay-over--What to do for the day?

Later this year (late November 2024) I have a flight from Sydney to LAX after my cruise ends.  I then have a roughly 10-hour layover at LAX before flying back to the East Coast on a redeye.  Any suggestions as to what I could do for an afternoon and evening without having to rent a car?  Do any of the airport hotels have day rates and are there places to store luggage for the day? 

Thanks for any suggestions in advance!

1 hour ago, DCThunder said:

Any suggestions as to what I could do for an afternoon and evening without having to rent a car?  Do any of the airport hotels have day rates and are there places to store luggage for the day? 

You most likely have a little less time than you think-- 10 hours will compress a bit when you consider getting off a large plane, immigration formalities on arrival, and the need to check in and go back through security coming back to the airport. Also assuming that things run on time. 

The quick answer is yes, there are quite a few airport hotels immediately adjacent to LAX that offer day rates and might be a good idea after a long flight from Australia (assuming you don't have access to an arrivals lounge with a shower at LAX through either status of cabin class). 

If you were looking for something a bit upgraded from your standard airport hotel you might consider a day rate at the Ritz-Carlton Marina del Rey which is close to the airport and an easy Uber ride. 

If you forgo the day use hotel you could do a number of things-- take an Uber to Santa Monica, Hollywood, or Venice and walk around and get drinks/dinner are the ones that pop into my head. 

The bags obviously aren't an issue if you get a day use room. If you don't, and the airline you are continuing on with domestically is codeshare with the airline you are taking from Australia, you might be able to check your bags all the way through at Sydney and not have to worry about them at LAX. If that's not the case then you could bring them with you and check them at a hotel where you end up-- for example you could take an Uber from LAX to the Fairmont in Santa Monica, grab a drink or meal at the Fairmont, and they would be happy to check your bags for you. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

You most likely have a little less time than you think-- 10 hours will compress a bit when you consider getting off a large plane, immigration formalities on arrival, and the need to check in and go back through security coming back to the airport. Also assuming that things run on time. 

The quick answer is yes, there are quite a few airport hotels immediately adjacent to LAX that offer day rates and might be a good idea after a long flight from Australia (assuming you don't have access to an arrivals lounge with a shower at LAX through either status of cabin class). 

If you were looking for something a bit upgraded from your standard airport hotel you might consider a day rate at the Ritz-Carlton Marina del Rey which is close to the airport and an easy Uber ride. 

If you forgo the day use hotel you could do a number of things-- take an Uber to Santa Monica, Hollywood, or Venice and walk around and get drinks/dinner are the ones that pop into my head. 

The bags obviously aren't an issue if you get a day use room. If you don't, and the airline you are continuing on with domestically is codeshare with the airline you are taking from Australia, you might be able to check your bags all the way through at Sydney and not have to worry about them at LAX. If that's not the case then you could bring them with you and check them at a hotel where you end up-- for example you could take an Uber from LAX to the Fairmont in Santa Monica, grab a drink or meal at the Fairmont, and they would be happy to check your bags for you. 

Thanks.  This is very helpful.  I'd thought of Santa Monica or Venice, but the Marina del Rey idea is very intriguing.

We're flying Fiji Airways (in Business) which is a OneWorld partner with American, but I'm not sure we'll be able to check bags all the way through. It would be nice if we could...

14 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

We're flying Fiji Airways (in Business) which is a OneWorld partner with American, but I'm not sure we'll be able to check bags all the way through. It would be nice if we could...

At very least you'll have to bring them through immigration with you in LAX but you might be able to recheck them immediately (vs having to wait until a few hours before your flight which is standard on domestic flights). 

• Like 1