Virgin Removes 24/25 Oz Cruises?

4 minutes ago, Ondine said:

In light of the fact that Brilliant Lady is now not expected to sail until at least May 2025 (originally forecast late 2023) perhaps Virgin might use Resilient Lady to do Brilliant's cancelled expected itineraries.  Depending how much interest they had had in Brilliant it would make sense.

Especially seeing delays in Brilliant Lady are due to them not being able to pay for fitout. That has them negotiating between the Caribbean & Australia for 2024/25, fishing for a deal that will max their returns.

Whether they do or don't, they need to get out from under the couch and announce something so that those currently booked know where they stand for next summer, and can make other plans if they pull the pin. While the itineraries are on hold, they are still selling FCC's to unsuspecting passengers. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ondine said:

In light of the fact that Brilliant Lady is now not expected to sail until at least May 2025 (originally forecast late 2023) perhaps Virgin might use Resilient Lady to do Brilliant's cancelled expected itineraries.  Depending how much interest they had had in Brilliant it would make sense.

It's probably a combination of this plus the Suez Canal being out of action making it harder to reposition a ship from Europe to Australia. Easier to send it to the Caribbean and a bigger market there too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

Especially seeing delays in Brilliant Lady are due to them not being able to pay for fitout. That has them negotiating between the Caribbean & Australia for 2024/25, fishing for a deal that will max their returns.

Whether they do or don't, they need to get out from under the couch and announce something so that those currently booked know where they stand for next summer, and can make other plans if they pull the pin. While the itineraries are on hold, they are still selling FCC's to unsuspecting passengers. 

This is so true. I just wish they would hurry up and make the announcement. Meanwhile, watching my back up cruise choice sell out is getting frustrating.

16 hours ago, CountessCookie said:

This is so true. I just wish they would hurry up and make the announcement. Meanwhile, watching my back up cruise choice sell out is getting frustrating.

Why not book your back-up cruise? You can always cancel if Virgin does come back here.

19 hours ago, arxcards said:

I’ve just disembarked from the Resiliant. I was speaking to the Future Cruise staff member and she said that the itineraries will be announced next week. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cruisine21 said:

I’ve just disembarked from the Resiliant. I was speaking to the Future Cruise staff member and she said that the itineraries will be announced next week. 

Did she give any indication on whether they would be coming back to AU or not? I'm guessing they aren't supposed to (if they even know), but sometimes you can get an idea from the way people say things.

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Why not book your back-up cruise? You can always cancel if Virgin does come back here.

I might do that. When the do officially cancel Virgin, many will be looking for an alternative. 

My back up leaves from the same port 4 days after the Virgin would finish. Worst case, I can try and fit both in (my wallet doesn't like this idea)

1 hour ago, CountessCookie said:

I might do that. When the do officially cancel Virgin, many will be looking for an alternative. 

My back up leaves from the same port 4 days after the Virgin would finish. Worst case, I can try and fit both in (my wallet doesn't like this idea)

Tell your wallet to be quiet! 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

URGENT

There has been a post on the Virgin Voyages page that all 2024/2025 Australian cruises are cancelled. The poster put up a link to a vvinsider article.

i have not received an email from Virgin to confirm.

If this is true Virgin is about to be sunk - will never consider a cruise or flight with them again! Bad move Richard!

2 minutes ago, wintrev said:

URGENT

There has been a post on the Virgin Voyages page that all 2024/2025 Australian cruises are cancelled. The poster put up a link to a vvinsider article.

If this is true Virgin is about to be sunk - will never consider a cruise or flight with them again! Bad move Richard!

It isn't Richard. It is a venture capital company with  Virgin badge. The licenced use of that badge is Mr Branson's only connection.

At times, it seems those aboard are the last to know - loose lips sink cruise ships.

Don’t care who it is really - he was the face promoting the brand and seeing he has been getting on the other ships whilst in the Caribbean his head is the first people are going to attack. It is disgusting that they continued to sell these cruises for weeks when they knew they were going to cancel. They claim to be different but in reality they are no different to all money grabbing companies. I for one will be telling people to never book with them if they ever decide to return to Australia.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wintrev said:

URGENT

This is disappointing to hear, but I'm not surprised. I've been expecting to here this since they removed listings.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Aussies who were booked feel the same way you do. If they do decide to comeback in a few years, it might not go well for them.

I would personally give Vorgin Voyages another chance (I see the fully diffrent from the airline), but not for a couple years and it would have to be an area they are established it. No more booking before they do their first season in an area.

I only included the airline as didn’t he give away cruises on a plane trip?

Once again Aussies get the short end of the stick. They will put the ship in the Caribbean because they make tons of money on them as Americans treat them as party boats not cruise destinations. The whole drama with Brilliant Lady failing to start leaves a big question mark over their entire business dealings.

Ahoy First Mate,

I just wanted to reach out and thank you for making our inaugural season in Australia such a huge success. In no uncertain terms, the warm welcome we received from Aussies was because of how deeply you championed us. This made for an incredibly brilliant season — with rave reviews and record bookings. And the love is very much mutual.

With the safety of our Sailors and Crew remaining our #1 priority, and on the heels of our recent changes to Resilient Lady’s Spring ‘24 repositioning voyages, we’ve conducted a full safety and security review of future repositioning voyages through the Red Sea with a range of experts. Given the circumstances, unfortunately, she will instead be sailing in her temporary home of the Caribbean starting next October. We love Australia and have every intention of traveling back in the future when we can safely do so. While we’re sad to have had to make this choice for now, we are very much looking forward to getting back there as soon as possible. But in the best interest of your Sailors, we’re making these adjustments now in order to avoid disruptions in the future — giving them more time to think through alternatives.

Thank you again for making our first season so unbelievably outstanding — we’re deeply grateful for that and your continued love and partnership. In the meantime, we want to make sure we can still get your Sailors who loved us in Australia escaping the winter and sailing the gorgeous waters of the Mediterranean aboard that very same award-winning ship that made such a splash. It’s safe to say the experiences at sea are even better when Aussies are on board.

Gratefully,

LEARN MORE

Nirmal Saverimuttu
CEO, Virgin Voyages

It's such a shame. We did buy a MNVV when onboard Resilient Lady in late January, but the inability to book a cruise next summer and the sales staff on board being unable to answer questions left us feeling very uncertain about VV's return to Australia next season. Once home, I'm glad we decided to cancel & get a refund on the MNVV within cooling off period. Loved our cruise on Resilient Lady though.

30 minutes ago, wintrev said:

Ahoy First Mate,

I just wanted to reach out and thank you for making our inaugural season in Australia such a huge success. In no uncertain terms, the warm welcome we received from Aussies was because of how deeply you championed us. This made for an incredibly brilliant season — with rave reviews and record bookings. And the love is very much mutual.

With the safety of our Sailors and Crew remaining our #1 priority, and on the heels of our recent changes to Resilient Lady’s Spring ‘24 repositioning voyages, we’ve conducted a full safety and security review of future repositioning voyages through the Red Sea with a range of experts. Given the circumstances, unfortunately, she will instead be sailing in her temporary home of the Caribbean starting next October. We love Australia and have every intention of traveling back in the future when we can safely do so. While we’re sad to have had to make this choice for now, we are very much looking forward to getting back there as soon as possible. But in the best interest of your Sailors, we’re making these adjustments now in order to avoid disruptions in the future — giving them more time to think through alternatives.

Thank you again for making our first season so unbelievably outstanding — we’re deeply grateful for that and your continued love and partnership. In the meantime, we want to make sure we can still get your Sailors who loved us in Australia escaping the winter and sailing the gorgeous waters of the Mediterranean aboard that very same award-winning ship that made such a splash. It’s safe to say the experiences at sea are even better when Aussies are on board.

Gratefully,

LEARN MORE

Nirmal Saverimuttu
CEO, Virgin Voyages

Bollocks of an excuse, but the one they were always going to use. Ad with the relocation at the end of the season, they don't need to navigate the Red Sea to get from Europe to Australia. If the current season was such a success, they would have been back next summer with bells on.

I agree with your dissatisfaction. They had made this decision weeks ago, yet sat on passenger money for extra month. From the start, they failed to convince me enough to part with money to cruise with them this season. Virgin has long been a transient brand, but they will try to find a way to be back here when there is a dollar to be made.

Ahoy First Mate - what a great way to greet you so informally with bad news. Yep, sod-off Captain!

I must admit that I find it a bit iffy when they use that flippant sounding greeting for emails like this. I felt the same when I emailed them before the before the change in the current repositioning cruise. 

The reply where they couldn't tell me what was going to happen with the cruise I booked, but I should sign up to their news letter if I wanted to be kept up to date in any changed itineraries. This was about a cruise I had paid for. I sure hope we get an official email notification and not just expected to follow the newsletter as implied in the reply I got.

I said it over in the Virgin board and will say it here. I am very grateful to the members of this form who have been keeping us up-to-date. I made the, apparent mistake, of booking without a TA. I would have no idea what was going on if it wasn't for this Cruise Critic members.

• Like 1

Countess Cookie

You have summed it up beautifully. These boards give more information than the cruise lines do and I am grateful also that we can share any information to prevent other cruisers being caught out.

Love how we have to wait till end of March (got this date on Virgin boards) while the UK get their refund earlier. Yet again we are short changed!

• Like 1

It is very sad that this has happened and I feel for affected travellers but I am not surprised and, unfortunately, think we will see more cruiselines cancel or reduce their Australian seasons.  We have already seen Cunard announce 24/25 as the last season they will homeport in Australia and it is unclear if RCCL intend to replace Quantum in Brisbane.  

The Red Sea conflict and the resulting much longer repositioning cruise for a Europe based ship is really just the finishing touch on top of a situation where revenues from Australian seasons are unattractive compared with alternatives such as the Caribbean and extra costs such as those now imposed by NZ for ships that want to visit the Sounds and high Australian port costs make matters even worse.

We will still see some ships down here that do NS Alaska seasons but the forecast growth of the Australian cruise industry is definitely going to be much less than was expected just 12 months ago.

• Like 1

For those wondering about the 4 weeks where they were reviewing the Resilent Lady itineraries. BS.

The St Maarten port bookings were showing at the time this topic was started. Suggestion they were shadow bookings that were intended for Brillient Lady before her inaugural cruise was delayed BS

The same day they announce the cancellation of the OZ season, they announce the Caribbean itineraries go on sale on Thursday. This whole season  has already been stitched together while they were just "reviewing" the Australian itineraries. More BS.

As with the last paragraph above, it is about money. They spruik a successful season. BS. Yes, other lines are reducing cruises, but they are not removing a ship that has booked passengers and itineraries that are 8 months away. A longer distance/ same no of nights relocation around Africa would not be onerous, but the Red Sea is the reason they have cited. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, reeves35 said:

It is very sad that this has happened and I feel for affected travellers but I am not surprised and, unfortunately, think we will see more cruiselines cancel or reduce their Australian seasons.  We have already seen Cunard announce 24/25 as the last season they will homeport in Australia and it is unclear if RCCL intend to replace Quantum in Brisbane.  

The Red Sea conflict and the resulting much longer repositioning cruise for a Europe based ship is really just the finishing touch on top of a situation where revenues from Australian seasons are unattractive compared with alternatives such as the Caribbean and extra costs such as those now imposed by NZ for ships that want to visit the Sounds and high Australian port costs make matters even worse.

We will still see some ships down here that do NS Alaska seasons but the forecast growth of the Australian cruise industry is definitely going to be much less than was expected just 12 months ago.

Well summed up.