Yoga Classes on Celebrity: FAQ's

MrsPinkie

Getting ready to leave this weekend for a 7-night closed cruise from Ft. Lauderdale. Wanted to know how yoga works for Celebrity Cruises. The telephone operator wasn't even sure either. Basically, what has been your experience? What do you know? Can I get class passes ahead of time? Are the classes any good? Is there a good chance that they'll be all taken up by people who know cruising better than I do as a newcomer? Anything and everything you can tell me about Celebrity Cruises yoga, is appreciated!

Yoga (or Pilates) is generally offered in the morning, usually at 08:00 or sometimes 09:00. Although, sometimes not on port days. Prices have gone up dramatically. $20 for a single class, but with 18% auto tip it comes in at about $24 per class. When a "class pass" is available for sale, it's a money saver.

If you are in Aqua, make it known to the instructor ... you get a free class. And if you're Elite+, that's another free class.

Are the classes "good?" Well ... it's a crap shoot. Spa/fitness staff are not RCI employees, they work for an outsourced agency, formerly called "Steiner." Steiner hires mostly in Eastern Europe, Britain, and South Africa. Instructors will have varied fitness/sports backgrounds, but often have zero Yoga experience. Steiner trains them with just a few seminars.

So, sometimes the instructor is not very good ... you'll do sun salutes for 20 minutes and little else. But other times you luck out! On my recent sailing, the instructor was a former dancer and an experienced yoga practitioner. Awesome classes! Bottom line, if you end up with a mediocre teacher, adjust to your own level. That's what everyone does.

You'll find that the people who attend the morning yoga are generally experienced, or otherwise new and excited to learn. It's always a nice group of folks and regardless of the abilities of the teacher, you'll get your "ohm" on!

PS> You can always do the 30 minute complimentary stretch classes, usually held at 07:00