Rijeka Croatia

A little more expanded.

I was on vacation in Rijeka. I moved around the area by car but I also had the opportunity to get to know Rijeka.

Very quickly, in Rijeka you can
- stroll through downtown. Is very pretty
- has many Roman ruins
- a tunnel (can be walked through) from the 2nd war
- and other monuments worth knowing

I also recommend that you take a taxi and go to Opatija. It is 10 km away. It was the "pearl" of vacations of the Austrian empire (it is the coastal area closest to Vienna) so there are many hotels and Belle Epoque type buildings. It is interesting to walk by the sea in that area.

And if you want to book an excursion or water activity (diving, fishing, or simply a walk around the Adriatic islands) you will have enough on offer.

Without a car around there is not much else to see but enough for a single day.

you can also visit the area next to Trsat Castle, high above the town.

This from a thread last year.  A CC member mentioned they walked all the way up, and I  responded with this:

CC member said Rijeka there was a staircase of 561 steps to get up to Trsat castle. 

Having travelled up the road, I know that too was very long and extremely steep. These days we avoid such exertions whenever possible.I know you said you are enthusiastic DIYers, as are we, but we took a public bus all the way up and back again when we were ready to leave the area at the top  

You could also consider a taxi. When we went, there were taxis  waiting at the top close to the bus stops, but whether they were available for hire or waiting for pre-booked fares, I do not know.

MSK There will be info and images with suggestion for Rijeka sightseeing online  eg Tripadvisor.

Edited by edinburgher

17 hours ago, mskaufman said:

Do you know the cost of a taxi to Opatija and how easy it is to get a taxi to return?

I am afraid, I moved by car, I didn't grabbed a taxi but I remember all was really affordable for any budget

If I had to choose, I would prefer Opatija rather than Trast castle. 

There are too many castles in Europe, that's not the greatest one indeed. The best... the scenics over Adriatic you can see.

Opatija... it is different

Pictures from my own, spotted several years ago

Tunnel in Croatia centre built for 2nd WW

image.thumb.png.a644318ad8fc2d729e87150d2e701717.png

Rijeka

image.thumb.png.e2b3722da90424dadc564f30da433f99.png

Turkish house (a great corner of history because this house was the consulate in Rijeka of Ottoman Empire over the Austrian-Hungariay Empire, two great power countries one year ago. Obviously it gave service until 1918)

image.thumb.png.2c87903d750cc12a86e27b9e51290209.png

Sorry for picture.... so many Roman heritage and I post this one (it is the only one I have without people)

image.thumb.png.9f5c53be34ba2c8f575ba16ba4c0ac85.png

and.... Opatija

image.thumb.png.f670351afc3c7feeed731b1b6db97772.png

image.thumb.png.18e83777e4753a59f2846a3db2908c48.png

About the shore, there aren't sandy beaches. In Opatija there are some piers with ladders you can use for a bath in the sea. You will see more people doing it so, if you go with a towel you can visit Opatija and have a bath.

Definitely it is not a city for several days without a car (with a car there are enough sites to go, for sure), but enough for a day.

On 2/4/2024 at 2:19 PM, alserrod said:

I am afraid, I moved by car, I didn't grabbed a taxi but I remember all was really affordable for any budget

Thanks,  I am usually more concerned about the return trip and how easy it will be to get a taxi to take us back to the ship.