Pay Gratuities Before Sailing?

Djptcp

23 hours ago, Relaxinginthesun said:

Now that gratuities are no longer included in the cruise fare for RS and above, can you have the automatic gratuities removed from your on-board bill?  It is not that I am not going to tip, but when I started cruising many years ago you tipped the crew members who provided you service directly in cash either on the last night or when the service was provided, I figure if I am being asked to pay the gratuities on top of the cruise fare I am going to go back to the way it was and give my gratuities to the crew members who I personally interact with.   

I don’t get this..how do you compensate the behind the scenes folks?  

40 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I don’t get this..how do you compensate the behind the scenes folks?  

The person they were tipping now has to count their money, probably have it verified by someone in charge, and then turn it in to someone, somewhere. Who will then distribute the tips to the pool. Probably electronically to their payroll account. Instead of simply going on break when their shift is over. Real helpful to them. 

But I also don't get how they get to keep cash tips when autograts are kept in place but not if they're removed either. You can pull the autograts up until something like 10:00 pm on the last night (or maybe until they close your account?). Do you have to account for cash or put it "in escrow" until the cruise actually ends? Because if the way people believe they understand the system is correct, the tip is only the individual's if at the end of the cruise the daily gratuities are actually charged to the card on file (or closed out with cash)...

I try to have them added when I book.  Its just easier for me to have it all paid for before we sail. I remember when I booked my most recent one onboard I had to ask the agent to add it in for me.  I did call once in the past and ask and since it wasn't prepaid I went ahead and paid it.  This is just the way I like to do it.  But, like others have said you don't get any discount or anything by paying it ahead so you might want to just plan on it being added once you are onboard.