Distance of White Pass train from ship

Did you have an option to waitlist for the ship excursion?  Which ship are you on and when will you be in Skagway?  The distance to the train depends on where your ship is docked.   There are four locations the ORE dock, Broadway dock, and two Railroad dock locations which have been affected by the rockslide in that area.   

Edited by oaktreerb

20 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

Did you have an option to waitlist for the ship excursion?  Which ship are you on and when will you be in Skagway?  The distance to the train depends on where your ship is docked.   There are four locations the ORE dock, Broadway dock, and two Railroad dock locations which have been affected by the rockslide in that area.   

I am on the wait list.I will be on the Koningsdam in May. I will be renting a scooter for the cruise .

16 minutes ago, Niagarawine said:

I will be renting a scooter for the cruise .

Excellent. That might help solve the problem, too. You could ride your scooter to the railway station, head inside (as I recall, the wooden sidewalks are raised, but there will be a ramp at one end or the other), and ask if you can leave your scooter inside while you take the train. Take the key! 
I have never been refused a request to leave my rented scooter while I take an excursion. 
Then, if necessary, use a cane, walker, or rollator to get to the boarding area. That may work---and work well. 

My only question would be can you climb the stairs to the train. You can ask about this at the Shore Excursion Office the day you board. Or, you can contact the special department in Seattle (sorry, the name of it slips my mind right now) to describe what you can and can't do, and find out if they can answer your questions. If not, they can get the answers for you. 
I have had the Shore Excursion Office on the ship get those kinds of answers from the vendor more than once. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Excellent. That might help solve the problem, too. You could ride your scooter to the railway station, head inside (as I recall, the wooden sidewalks are raised, but there will be a ramp at one end or the other), and ask if you can leave your scooter inside while you take the train. Take the key! 
I have never been refused a request to leave my rented scooter while I take an excursion. 
Then, if necessary, use a cane, walker, or rollator to get to the boarding area. That may work---and work well. 

My only question would be can you climb the stairs to the train. You can ask about this at the Shore Excursion Office the day you board. Or, you can contact the special department in Seattle (sorry, the name of it slips my mind right now) to describe what you can and can't do, and find out if they can answer your questions. If not, they can get the answers for you. 
I have had the Shore Excursion Office on the ship get those kinds of answers from the vendor more than once. 

Thanks Ruth I was wondering about leaving the scooter with ‘‘em while  ride the train. Think I can do the steps.

Note that different excursions can leave from different areas. During the busy season, they will run multiple trains each day. For the most popular trip, the train may park directly next to the ship on the pier. For the longer trips, the train may leave from the station a short walk away. 

HAL usually gets the Broadway Dock which is closest to the terminal.  But all of the docks are on flat ground as has been said.  The docks against the hillside where the rockside occurred are the furthest away and are usually occupied by the largest ships (Princess or RCCL) or at least when we've visited.

• Like 1

Hi @Niagarawine. If you get on the accessible train you can take your scooter on. There is a lift that lowers to the ground, you drive on, and up you go. It's pretty cool. Then you can stay on the scooter or go to a seat. The nice thing about the accessible car is that there are a lot less people in it as compared to the other cars. My DD DH loved to ride the train and we've done it many times. 

Karen

Hi thanks Karen.there’s a wait list for tha, guess I waited too long so  May just book the regular one and hope fo the best. When we were on a Rotterdam Caribbean I missed two ports because Icoukdnt walk too far so from now on I am going to rent a scooter.

If the train comes to the ship to pick you up, that would be wonderful. However, do ask if the train will be dropping you back off at the ship. 
It has been known to happen that the end of the tour is at the train station. 

If that happens, and you are with someone who is mobile, you can make arrangements to leave the scooter at the gangway (you will need to leave the key), have the mobile person walk back from the train to the ship and pick up the scooter, ride it to you, then you ride back. 

I have done that at a different port. 

So here is my question.  Does HAL use the train next to the Ore Dock (1st pic) and the other lines use the train next to the rock slides (2nd pic)?

ORE Dock and HAL ship on left; train station on right:

IMG_6083.thumb.jpeg.1187e090a07f64486dbaeb3b7b84e698.jpeg

Train and dock (with rock slides) where non-HAL lines moor:

IMG_6051.thumb.jpeg.48ede3620f310631afc240cafc0f1cf0.jpeg

IMG_6050.thumb.jpeg.8745f7a15c876e732e7fc30cb949b44c.jpeg

5 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

When we were there a couple of years ago we rode the train from where you pictured it. The area is flat and easy for scooter use. 

Karen

Thanks. That’s what I thought. Because if you zoom in on the pic, there is a walkway which goes straight to the station and one which heads into town.  (It’s underneath the coloured brown chute which I have no idea what that is for.  Maybe they launch wheelchair users from there so it’s a quick trip to the station.  🤷‍♀️ 😂)

IMG_1059.thumb.jpeg.802dcc4f96563b7efbbf1145ad942ee2.jpeg