Suica app instead of Welcome Card in Japan?

Machta

Good morning, all!  We’re headed out on the Westerdam from Hong Kong to Yokohama / Tokyo on March 2.  I’ve been reading about the supply chain issues with buying an actual Suica card at train stations.  The official website says sales are very limited (https://www.jreast.co.jp/multi/en/welcomesuica/welcomesuica.html).

The problem is that only at the end of the cruise do we go anywhere near Haneda or Tokyo.  So I’ve been looking at the Suica app instead, but it looks like the apple version is only in Japanese.  Does anyone have experience using the Suica app as a non-Japanese-speaker/reader?

Thanks in advance!

Update:  I was reading the reviews for the Suica app, and one reviewer mentioned that it’s much simpler to go to Apple Wallet, click on the “+” sign in the upper right, scroll down to “Transit Card,” and search for “Suica.”  

I spent 5m scanning the terms and conditions, but they are VERY long.  I chose Y1000 to charge to my Visa card, and it went through a registration process.

The final screen has the Suica “penguin” card image, and says, “Express Transit Card.  Your transit card will work automatically when you hold iPhone near a reader.  No Face ID required.  Your transit card may also be available when iPhone needs to be recharged.”

I clicked “Done” and the Suica card shows up in my wallet!  

Now I need to figure out *how* to use it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Struggling also with this same issue - getting a Japan smart card before arrival, and we don't want to be tethered to a cell phone.  Thanks for the tips and hope you keep us updated with your success.

The eBay Option: I was surprised to see how many Japan smart cards, Suica included, were for sale on eBay - some loaded with small amounts, but most unloaded. Not cheap, but I assume since they are transferable to any user, one could at least buy a blank card ahead of time and then load it once in Japan at the various transportation kiosks. 

This is in theory only, so wondering if anyone tried using one of these "eBay" offered empty Japan smart cards - legal, trouble, useless, rip off ???????. 

• Like 1

PS - I wonder if the "chip shortage" for new Japan smart cards is related to the fact the old ones are getting sold on places like eBay, or other "black markets". Instead of getting recycled by the smart card companies themselves.  Every innovation always seems to create a new downside.

Love using smart cards when traveling, but we found getting our pre-paid Japan Rail day  pass in Japan last time a huge time-wasting hassle just to turn in our pre-paid voucher to get the actual train pass. So this makes me wary about getting anything now prepaid before arrival. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Struggling also with this same issue - getting a Japan smart card before arrival, and we don't want to be tethered to a cell phone.  Thanks for the tips and hope you keep us updated with your success.

The eBay Option: I was surprised to see how many Japan smart cards, Suica included, were for sale on eBay - some loaded with small amounts, but most unloaded. Not cheap, but I assume since they are transferable to any user, one could at least buy a blank card ahead of time and then load it once in Japan at the various transportation kiosks. 

This is in theory only, so wondering if anyone tried using one of these "eBay" offered empty Japan smart cards - legal, trouble, useless, rip off ???????. 

I have not looked on eBay, but that’s very interesting.  When I did register with Apple Wallet there was an option to transfer an existing card to the Suica in Apple Wallet.  I didn’t/don’t have a card, obviously, so I didn’t select that option, but it might be a way to check and see if a Suica card you buy off of eBay is valid.

Are you on the same sailing from Hong Kong on March 2?  We’d love to get together with folks . . . 

Our Japan cruise is later in the year. 

Learned I can do a foreign exchange transfer at Chase Back to at least get some walking around Yen. And will deal with the smart card once we get there. 

Edited by OlsSalt

On 2/5/2024 at 12:11 AM, Machta said:

Are you on the same sailing from Hong Kong on March 2?  We’d love to get together with folks . . . 

Here is the roll call for your  cruise.

We did a similar cruise on Westerdam from Tokyo to Singapore in October and were able to buy the Welcome Suica card at Narita. I understand that is no longer possible. An alternative is a Pasmo card once again only available once you get to Tokyo.
As you now have your Suica app all you need to do is select the app and hold it at the reader at the gate in the metro station and most important do the same on leaving.

You can also pay in shops cafes etc. Most important you do need one phone app each though.

happy planning 

Happy 

14 minutes ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

Here is the roll call for your  cruise.

We did a similar cruise on Westerdam from Tokyo to Singapore in October and were able to buy the Welcome Suica card at Narita. I understand that is no longer possible. An alternative is a Pasmo card once again only available once you get to Tokyo.
As you now have your Suica app all you need to do is select the app and hold it at the reader at the gate in the metro station and most important do the same on leaving.

You can also pay in shops cafes etc. Most important you do need one phone app each though.

happy planning 

Happy 

@cruiseaholic78Thank you for being so thoughtful. 

@MachtaWe are on 2 March sailing out of Hong Kong. Also been trying to figure out the Suica card puzzle. We will try buy a Suica, Pasmo or equivalent in our first port of call in Japan - Nagasaki. We cannot use the cellular option as it seems only Apple is connected for this purpose. If we learn more we will keep you posted. Brian and Danie

On 2/10/2024 at 9:27 AM, briansnel said:

@cruiseaholic78Thank you for being so thoughtful. 

@MachtaWe are on 2 March sailing out of Hong Kong. Also been trying to figure out the Suica card puzzle. We will try buy a Suica, Pasmo or equivalent in our first port of call in Japan - Nagasaki. We cannot use the cellular option as it seems only Apple is connected for this purpose. If we learn more we will keep you posted. Brian and Danie

@briansnel We are on the same cruise!  This will be our first trip to Asia, and we’re really excited.  

I was never able to find a suitable resolution to getting a physical Suica card, but others have reported that the tourist information centers at the ports are extraordinarily helpful.  Do post if you figure something out before heading to Hong Kong . . . love to meet you in person!