Trying to find a beach in St. Kitts

Marie2

We were in St. Kitts about 12 years ago and had found an amazing beach. We had caught a taxi at port, he gave us a tour of

the island and dropped us off at a wonderful beach. We will be in St. Kitts next year and I can’t find this beach. It is highly possible that it has changed. I am pretty sure that at the time we were going to go to

Cockleshell and our taxi driver told us that that gets crowded and recommended where we went which wasn’t too much farther down from Cockleshell. It was Caribbean side. No restaurants. Not crowded. We could see Nevis in front of us and behind us there was nothing built up. No chairs or amenities but we are fine with that. The water was calm. My husband snorkeled and said it was great snorkeling and that there was a wreck off of the beach (I don’t remember that but he insists). Anyone know the name of this beach or is it Cockleshell? From all of the pictures of the beaches around this area I can’t tell, it’s highly possible that the area just changed that much. We would love to recreate that beach day with our kids. I do remember that there was a local there with a donkey offering rides (we did not and will not do that but maybe this will help in identifying the beach). 

5 hours ago, Marie2 said:

We were in St. Kitts about 12 years ago and had found an amazing beach. We had caught a taxi at port, he gave us a tour of

the island and dropped us off at a wonderful beach. We will be in St. Kitts next year and I can’t find this beach. It is highly possible that it has changed. I am pretty sure that at the time we were going to go to

Cockleshell and our taxi driver told us that that gets crowded and recommended where we went which wasn’t too much farther down from Cockleshell. It was Caribbean side. No restaurants. Not crowded. We could see Nevis in front of us and behind us there was nothing built up. No chairs or amenities but we are fine with that. The water was calm. My husband snorkeled and said it was great snorkeling and that there was a wreck off of the beach (I don’t remember that but he insists). Anyone know the name of this beach or is it Cockleshell? From all of the pictures of the beaches around this area I can’t tell, it’s highly possible that the area just changed that much. We would love to recreate that beach day with our kids. I do remember that there was a local there with a donkey offering rides (we did not and will not do that but maybe this will help in identifying the beach). 

Wreck/s? No beds or amenities etc, with a driver as a guide/security?   12 years ago?    Sounds like Whitehouse Bay….

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo

On 2/4/2024 at 5:10 PM, PORT ROYAL said:

Wreck/s? No beds or amenities etc, with a driver as a guide/security?   12 years ago?    Sounds like Whitehouse Bay….

I am not so sure about the wreck, my husband might have not remembered exactly. We have been to many ports and have always found we enjoyed the places off the beaten path without all of the amenities, these days have always turned out to be the most memorable. Our taxi driver was absolutely right in his recommendations as this day as been at the top of our most memorable list.  I think that where we were was Banana Bay beach before the Hyatt was built. The picture below was from the day we were there and the positioning of Nevis along with the dock ruins seem to match what I have found online. We might find something else to do for the day as Cockleshell beach seems like it will get crowded. It looks like the Hyatt is charging 150pp for a day pass and as we have three other great excursions booked on other islands we were not looking to spend that much on St. Kitts. A low key beach day is more what we are looking for as this is our last stop and I am sure we will be exhausted. Is it difficult to get to Nevis and back? I have not heard of Whitehouse Bay....although it sounds like this is not something you would recommend, which perhaps might be why i have not heard of it nor can I find much info on it.

Image 150.jpg

9 hours ago, Marie2 said:

I am not so sure about the wreck, my husband might have not remembered exactly. We have been to many ports and have always found we enjoyed the places off the beaten path without all of the amenities, these days have always turned out to be the most memorable. Our taxi driver was absolutely right in his recommendations as this day as been at the top of our most memorable list.  I think that where we were was Banana Bay beach before the Hyatt was built. The picture below was from the day we were there and the positioning of Nevis along with the dock ruins seem to match what I have found online. We might find something else to do for the day as Cockleshell beach seems like it will get crowded. It looks like the Hyatt is charging 150pp for a day pass and as we have three other great excursions booked on other islands we were not looking to spend that much on St. Kitts. A low key beach day is more what we are looking for as this is our last stop and I am sure we will be exhausted. Is it difficult to get to Nevis and back? I have not heard of Whitehouse Bay....although it sounds like this is not something you would recommend, which perhaps might be why i have not heard of it nor can I find much info on it.

Image 150.jpg

For Nevis (most easy/reliable option) take - 

https://bluewatersafaris.com/tour/nevis-beach-getaway/

They use Lime Bar for their trip.  Try and take the short walk down the beach to Sunshine’s Bar for a few Killer Bees…. Killer Bees are also available as a takeaway.

For a quiet retreat book a day pass at the Marriott

Use this contact address for availability, day prices (rooms available), as it is monitored by hotel management.  Or call..

reservation@stkittsmarriott.com

Or use the TTE Protocol, being to just rock up, big smile, approach desk, flash cash, don’t tell them one is from Carnival (lie), take lift, press down, set up a bar tab, enjoy.

For alternative St Kitts options…

Current Government Website

https://mystkittstouristinformation.com/taxis-buses-and-ferries-in-st-kitts-and-nevis/

Note it now includes ferries to Nevis information.

• Like 1

Here’s a recent post from another thread….

We were just in St. Kitts on 2/9 and got the day pass at the Marriott. We got there at about 9:30am and had no problem purchasing a pass at the desk (they still give out wristbands). It is $49 per person and gives you access to the beach and the pool. At the beach, chairs are included as well as a cabana-like covered area. Cabanas at the pool are an additional $30. Also get a discount on food, drinks and spa services. Nice beach, very quiet and plenty of room. 

• Like 1