12noon boarding - no Mariners Lunch?

msteries

7 hours ago, POA1 said:

They changed that on 1/25/2024. It's now the boarding time. We have a booking coming up and received an email to that effect.

I don't know if that will clear up confusion, or just make a new kind.

Can you back that statement up with proof.  A copy of that email.  I did not receive any such correspondence.  My boarding pass specifically Says check - in time. 

"Embark Date/Assigned Check-in Time/Group Saturday Feb 17 / 10:20 AM / Group ID: A "

Edited by MikeD4134
More Data

My experience or opinion. 

they should not call embarkation day lunch in the dining room Mariner anything since it is open to all guests. Makes it confusing to refer to as Mariner Society, unless welcome all because by the end of the cruise everyone will have at least one star. Lunch menu is no different than any other day but nice to have the non-Lido option to start off the cruise. 

On the NS last month, they had a welcome reception for 3* and above on the afternoon of the first day (when there was a sea day on day 2). Our room steward delivered our invitation to this event 2 hours after the event was over. We shared feedback on the app and they apologized and sent a bottle of Prosecco to one cabin in our group and chocolate covered strawberries to my room. We did not ask for anything so it was a nice gesture. 

In talking to the customer service rep who called about the app feedback, she noted that on cruises of 7 days or less there was no separate Mariner lunch with the special set menu (fewer options but upgraded perhaps from regular fixed lunch dining room menu) like there used to be. That is only on longer cruises. Our tiles were left on our beds by the room stewards. 

There was a medal ceremony during the cruise that we happened to see by chance in walking around the ship. Few people there leading me to believe it is awardees and maybe Presidents Club (we did have a President Club member on the cruise) that were invited. 

1 hour ago, love4trvl said:

I see on our upcoming Nieuw Amsterdam cruise that on the daily

program it says that Mariner Society Welcome Aboard Lunch in the MDR noon....?

It’s the embarkation lunch - not the special luncheon.  The menu is basically the same every day, now.

And everyone has been able to get in post covid IME.  But of course most people are Mariners 😉 

• Like 2

On 2/6/2024 at 4:15 PM, MikeD4134 said:

Can you back that statement up with proof.  A copy of that email.  I did not receive any such correspondence.  My boarding pass specifically Says check - in time. 

1/25/24 - Change to Assigned Check In Times Program

We have phased out assigned check in times.

Note that guests who had a time assigned may arrive to the terminal to check in from noon to 1.5 hrs prior to the published departure time.

If you see a message that states "To Be Assigned" on your eDocs or Navigator boarding pass you are allowed to check in any time between noon and 1.5hrs prior to the published departure time on your itinerary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, POA1 said:

1/25/24 - Change to Assigned Check In Times Program

We have phased out assigned check in times.

Note that guests who had a time assigned may arrive to the terminal to check in from noon to 1.5 hrs prior to the published departure time.

If you see a message that states "To Be Assigned" on your eDocs or Navigator boarding pass you are allowed to check in any time between noon and 1.5hrs prior to the published departure time on your itinerary.

This is the Official communication from HAL.  It is completely contrary to your e-mail.

1. was that e-mail about this cruise?

2. Why did they send it out.  I find it difficult to think that HAL would want the entire passenger list to show up at once.

3. Have you cruised since they sent you that notice, if yes, what was the procedure?

4. I have communicated with a couple of folks that are on Konigsdam right now, and they boarded at their assigned times, which was regulated by employees of the Port.

5. I am not trying to pick a fight here, just wanting to be sure we all have current, accurate and correct information.

Thanks for the copy of the e-mail.

Boarding Procedures

We strongly encourage you to complete the check-in process at our website at hollandamerica.com and to download the Holland America Line Navigator App. Go to the Navigator App and upload a photo.After you have completed the Online Check-in process, please print a Boarding Pass or access your electronic boarding pass on Navigator. Upon arrival at the pier, you will need to present your Boarding Pass, have your passport and applicable visas verified and your picture taken if you have not uploaded a photo on Navigator. Your stateroom keycard will be delivered to your stateroom.

Please Note: This online procedure must be completed prior to your sail date.

If you completed the Online Check-in, please have the following documents ready to present at check-in:

• Express Docs including your Boarding Pass
  • Proper proof of citizenship
  • Applicable Visas

U.S. government security regulations require us to submit certain guest information to law enforcement authorities at least 60 minutes prior to departure. To meet this requirement, we must have the necessary information in our records at least 90 minutes before departure. If we do not have your information by this deadline, you will be unable to sail. Guests are urged to complete the Online Check-in process before leaving home. Guests who wait to check in at the terminal risk being unable to sail even if they arrive at the terminal before the vessel leaves. You will be responsible for all costs you incur to join the vessel at the next port.

Ship Identification Card: Upon completion of check-in you will receive a ship identification card. This ship ID card serves as your identification for security procedures when embarking and disembarking the ship, and for making purchases on board. It is also your access card to your stateroom.

Please Note: Please have your ship ID card and a valid picture identification issued by an official government agency ready and available whenever getting on or off the ship, as you will need to scan your ship ID card at the gangway for boarding. Also, although not required at the ship gangway, you may be required to present a valid picture ID to pass through terminal security.

Embarkation Time: Your assigned check-in time is printed on the Boarding Pass page in your Express Docs.

IMPORTANT: Due to COVID-19 Health & Safety protocols, please arrive at the terminal at your exact assigned check-in time to help facilitate capacity control and distancing.

You may also receive arrival documentation from Immigration when arriving at the airport. Please keep this available for check-in.

To allow us to expedite immigration clearances in the various countries you will be asked to surrender your passport to our staff upon check-in. Some clearances will require face to face inspections, details will be communicated to you onboard. Rest assured that your passport will be fully secured by our staff.

Regardless, it is always good practice, when traveling, to make copies of your passport pages before departing.

Our embarkation procedures are smooth and easy—you carry nothing but your hand baggage, and everything is beautifully organized. Although embarkation may begin as early as 11:30am, our previous sailing guests will have just disembarked and we will still be in the process of preparing the ship for your cruise. We anticipate that your stateroom will be ready at approximately 1:00pm. Therefore, you are welcome to make yourself at home in the bar, lounge or pool areas. Your baggage will arrive in your stateroom later that afternoon. The Lido Market embarkation buffet and the Pool Grill will open at 11:30am.

52 minutes ago, MikeD4134 said:

Have you cruised since they sent you that notice, if yes, what was the procedure?

Nope. Cruised in December. Next one is at the end of March. The info has to do with a change on the 25th of January. My PCC used to be able to edit our check in time. There was a short window between the time boarding/check in was assigned and the time boarding locked. Your time used to be editable prior to "lock."

My guess is that most people were unaware. I knew about it because we were on the Nieuw Statendam right after she returned from Europe. We had boarding group A, with a check in time of 1:00 pm. We're also 4*with priority boarding.

I thought that was kind of late, given that FLL iusually starts boarding at 11-ish. So I called. The late start was due to the return from Europe. Extra inspections, crew turn, etc. The last check in times on our sailing were around 2:30. That happened to be really close to all aboard.

I called about our upcoming trip - for a completely unrelated reason - and the new procedure came up. I don't interpret it as "everyone shows up at once." I read it as meaning you can safely get there 90 minutes prior to the departure.

I simply wanted to pass along the change. I won't see a boarding pass for a few weeks, so I guess I'll know when I see ours. Our old one, pre January 25, read like you describe yours. You can see it below. If I remember, I'll follow up when the new one arrives.

Screenshot_20231204-080336.png

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

Nope. Cruised in December. Next one is at the end of March. The info has to do with a change on the 25th of January. My PCC used to be able to edit our check in time. There was a short window between the time boarding/check in was assigned and the time boarding locked. Your time used to be editable prior to "lock."

My guess is that most people were unaware. I knew about it because we were on the Nieuw Statendam right after she returned from Europe. We had boarding group A, with a check in time of 1:00 pm. We're also 4*with priority boarding.

I thought that was kind of late, given that FLL iusually starts boarding at 11-ish. So I called. The late start was due to the return from Europe. Extra inspections, crew turn, etc. The last check in times on our sailing were around 2:30. That happened to be really close to all aboard.

I called about our upcoming trip - for a completely unrelated reason - and the new procedure came up. I don't interpret it as "everyone shows up at once." I read it as meaning you can safely get there 90 minutes prior to the departure.

I simply wanted to pass along the change. I won't see a boarding pass for a few weeks, so I guess I'll know when I see ours. Our old one, pre January 25, read like you describe yours. You can see it below. If I remember, I'll follow up when the new one arrives.

Screenshot_20231204-080336.png

Thanks, that makes more sense now.

6 hours ago, MikeD4134 said:

Thanks, that makes more sense now.

I did not mean to cause confusion. Give me enough tries to explain myself, and I eventually make sense. (Usually.)

• Like 1