Land Tour of Alaska in Denali with a Princess Cruise

Ber2048

We will be staying at the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge on May 13 and 14 2024. I was surprised to find out that the Park buses are not operating until May 20. Has anyone been on a Princess Land tour during this time of year? They are giving us a History tour, but that only goes into the park for 15 miles. The Park is open to mile 30 on these dates. We will have almost the whole day free the day we arrive. Is there enough to do and see around the lodge and the park entrance.

Other than some excursions outside the park, there doesn’t appear to be much offered. Walking the trails around lodge and park entrance is an alternative providing they aren’t too snow covered or slushy. Has anyone taken the shuttle lodge to the park? Do they run often? It has been suggested we rent a car and drive to mile 30 on our own. Would like to know if anyone has done this for just that short time. 

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  Although you are on a Princess tour, there are people on the Alaska ports of call board who can tell you about the park at this time of year.  EM

The issue with the natural history tour is that you can replicate 90% of that tour on your own for no charge normally when buses are operating.

I strongly suggest you consider renting a car from keys to Denali. They will deliver the car to the canyon area where you are staying. Then you can drive on your own to mile 30. I would do that both in the morning and in the evening.

I love Princess cruises but the land tours in Alaska leave much to be desired, even in the main tourist season which is memorial Day to Labor Day.

Edited by frugaltravel
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, I have been in touch with Keys to Denali. I do think that is the way we will go. Just hoping we don’t have a mid May snow storm. I guess we can’t predict Mother Nature. 

• Like 1