Travel Insurance options

My wife and I are getting to  a point where we feel we want to make sure we have adequate coverage 

for future trips as we are traveling internationally a decent amount now and have just turned 50. 

Our current policy for 2024 will cover our 2 Caribbean cruises for this year and covered a panama cruise last year. 

We aren't concerned as much about the trip costs as much as we are concerned about extreme medical costs while traveling globally.

We have learned that our health provide BCBS Massachusets has not now partnered with Geo Blue for extended medical coverage. 

It is my thought I should start adding this for our trips in the future in place of the Allianz annual plan. 

I see reference to a B of A travel Card and Chase Sapphire Card for additional protection for trip cancelation.  

My question is knowing we will travel at least 3-4 times a year with a decent amount Hawaii / International  what is the current best suggested Medical/ Trip Cancelation bundle to give us good coverage?   As a side note our trip values are not crazy high and obviously would be prepaid so our bigger concern would be medical / trip interruption. . 

Looking for tips as we don't use a dedicated credit card currently but would like to start for our 2025 trips

Travel insurance through Detour Travel Insurance

We submitted a claim the end of January which was approved yesterday.  This company is underwritten by Nationwide.  They have been very easy to work with and timely...no long waits on the phone either. I highly recommend them for medical insurance for a cruise.

Have you had a chance to browse through this section of CC on travel insurance?

(Yes, that can be difficult to ferret out relevant bits...)

We learned about travel insurance right here on CC, before our first major trip other than our honeymoon.  We decided to get it, as we are older, and this was higher cost than any other recent trip.

And THANK GOODNESS.

It was a cruise and land/hotel trip, and we had purchased business class tickets through the cruiseline (BIG mistake) so those were not refundable at all.  The total was big, for us, back then...

And less than 2 weeks before our planned departure, DH had a medical emergency.  Trip cancelled.  Fortunately, we purchased the coverage through https://tripinsurancestore.com which we also learned about here.  The policy we chose was from Travel Insured.

We were focused on medical "stuff".  When we finally got around to submitting the claim form and other documentation, we had a check for the full amount in about 2 weeks!

We've since had several other claims, and we have had no complaints.

But CALL TIS.  Don't rely upon the online policy summaries, there or elsewhere.  There's just no way that those can capture the "fine print" OR help you determine if they are right for all of *your* specific needs.  TIS folks are incredibly patient, and they don't try to upsell.

And, IF needed, they can help with a claim as well.

There is no extra charge to use an insurance agent or broker.

GC

• Like 1