Squid Ink quality?

AllHandsAstern

There is a different tattoo artist on each cruise or few cruises,  It isn't like other positions where people are on board for 3-7 months!  There is a place where you can see who is scheduled on your cruise; you can even contact them in advance to work out details of what you want, see reviews of that person, etc.  I'm sure someone has the link at their fingertips and will supply it on this thread.

• Thanks 1

I got tattooed on my last sailing last August and was very pleased. I got a date, very simple but the tattoo artist did a great job and it was basically the same as getting tattooed on land (which at least for me was a good thing!) Both him and the shop manager were very professional, helpful and engaging.

• Like 1

I just got off Valiant lady last week and got my first tattoo on the last day.  It was great!  The artist answered all my questions and made me feel very comfortable.  Everything was well done and 10 minutes after I sat in the chair I was done (it's a small tattoo).  I'm told the prices are high, but we had a lot of sailor loot so it made sense and it is a fun souvenir.  If you're thinking about it definitely check them out.

• Like 2

Happy to share my experience. As others said, you can usually find out which artists will be on your sailing in advance. The ship has a sheet of flash that is always available - all black designs, no more than a half-dollar in size. I was hoping the artists on my voyage would have their own flash but no such luck. I didn't have a design in mind but saw some art on the wall that looked fun. The attached picture is the final result. This was my 8th tattoo. 

It seems that artists can't pick their own inks - they use what's provided by the ship. Mine is about a year old at it's still vibrant. I was quoted $300 and that was an absolute bargain compared to what this would have cost where I live in Chicago. If/when I sail with Virgin again and I have an idea for something palm-sized, I would get another one. 

Between the two artists on your specific sailing I wouldn't count on a specific one - when appointments opened up and they processed the line two artists took quick consultations as they became available but your mileage may vary. Slots at the end of the cruise book up the fastest (for obvious reasons). Though they use a heavy 'second skin' type bandage, I still wouldn't want to expose the tattoo to sunlight or submerge it in water (habits die hard). 

IMG_9540.jpeg