Price difference of Cruise + Have It All vs Cruise with HIA added later?

Euby

I hope someone can explain this to me.  I'm pricing out a few cruises to possibly take later this year (as a solo).  I can't seem to get the numbers to add up.  For example, a 14-day cruise is $1280 per person (single rate-Inside Cabin) and the "Cruise + Have It All" is $2622 per person.  That is a difference of $1342.  The Have It All package is advertised as $55/person/day which would be $770 (14x $55).  It offers the exact same items (ShoreEx, Drinks, Dining, Wi-Fi) as the Cruise + HIA.  So what is the additional $572 ($1342-$770) coming from?

This is just one example.  I've priced other HAL cruises and it is the same scenario; where the Cruise + Have It All at booking costs much more than if I were to book just the Cruise and Add the HIA package.

Am I missing something?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Euby said:

Am I missing something?

The HIA price on booking ("Best Value") has a refundable deposit. The "Best Price" fare plus later HIA purchase has a non-refundable deposit. There is a third fare, called "Advantage" that is bare bones but refundable deposit. You have to call or ask your PCC to learn that fare.

I have never checked but suspect that the Advantage fare plus later HIA at $55pppd would be much closer to the Best Value price.

• Like 2

@crystalspin

Nailed it.

You can add HIA to the nonrefundable deposit fare if you want. Besides the Advantage fare, there are often additional fare codes available, like Top 10, Mariner, Canada Super Saver, etc. that you won't see on the website. A TA or PCC will be able to tell you about all the options.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Euby said:

I hope someone can explain this to me.  I'm pricing out a few cruises to possibly take later this year (as a solo).  I can't seem to get the numbers to add up.  For example, a 14-day cruise is $1280 per person (single rate-Inside Cabin) and the "Cruise + Have It All" is $2622 per person.  That is a difference of $1342.  The Have It All package is advertised as $55/person/day which would be $770 (14x $55).  It offers the exact same items (ShoreEx, Drinks, Dining, Wi-Fi) as the Cruise + HIA.  So what is the additional $572 ($1342-$770) coming from?

This is just one example.  I've priced other HAL cruises and it is the same scenario; where the Cruise + Have It All at booking costs much more than if I were to book just the Cruise and Add the HIA package.

Am I missing something?

We always book cruise only and have never added HIA. HIA works for many people but nothing is free .You have to do the math and see what works for you. the math has never worked out in our favor but HIA is a convenience and you are buying convenience. 

• Like 2